Tax numbers, Financial Issues

Guest Boab88

Hey All,

I will be migrating to Australia arriving the 25th of October with my partner.

We have the slightly unusual situation whereby I have an Australian passport + Citizenship (on account of living there aged 1-5) but have not been over since.

My partner will be entering on a working holiday visa while her partner visa is getting processed, We expect it to come through at the end of December (at which point she will have too briefly leave the country (Likely NZ))

We have just applied for a joint account with commonwealth bank and plan on transferring money over to that.

Can anyone advise on other things we should apply for before arrival? I'm thinking the equivalent to National Insurance numbers? Tax codes? Electoral Registers?

Is there any other difference that come to mind for me as an Australian citizen versus my partner as a UK migrant?

Boab88

Guest Guest31881

Can anyone advise on other things we should apply for before arrival? I'm thinking the equivalent to National Insurance numbers? Tax codes? Electoral Registers?

Is there any other difference that come to mind for me as an Australian citizen versus my partner as a UK migrant?

Boab88

tax file numbers can be obtained when you arrive, its simple to do and can be done on the internet, You will have to register to vote and you can find the forms in post offices and estate agents. Your partner will not have a vote. No such thing as national insurance numbers but you will have to call in a medicare office to get your cards sorted out

HI Boab88,

Me and my partner was in the same place as you i was born here and when a arrived i could not get my tax file number on line because the system said i should already have one. So i had to go into the local office in brisbane and do a paper app which takes around 28 days to come back , so if you want to work think about doing this first.

We applied for a spouse visa once here and it sailed threw in about 12 weeks with no dramas at all.

All the best on returning to Australia i must say it was the best thing we ever did and we love the life style we have here .

Kind Regards

Phil