(457) do employers give you a time limit to start work?

Libbysmummy

My hubby has an interview with the recruitment agency in a week and they said the visa will possibly take 6 weeks! I was wondering if the employers give you a date to be over by? Obviously will ask when we go but I have a house to pack up and 4 kids to take.

I'd love to hear anyones experiance whos gone over on 457 :smile:

many thanks

Libbysmummy

I'm still waiting for my 457 to be granted but in my contract, the start date is specified as 'within one month of visa approval'. It's impossible to know the exact date when you will be granted a visa, so if an employer wants you over asap, they may give a time period from the date of visa approval to make the move. Normally, this would be tied to the notice period in your existing contract.

Otherwise, you can mutually agree on a date in the future, allowing sufficient time for the visa to be granted and for you to sort out all your personal business.

Guest guest59177
I'm still waiting for my 457 to be granted but in my contract, the start date is specified as 'within one month of visa approval'. It's impossible to know the exact date when you will be granted a visa, so if an employer wants you over asap, they may give a time period from the date of visa approval to make the move. Normally, this would be tied to the notice period in your existing contract.

Otherwise, you can mutually agree on a date in the future, allowing sufficient time for the visa to be granted and for you to sort out all your personal business.

Maz25!!!!! You've been hiding the news from us!!!!! Either that or I have been missing your posts on the 457 thread at you know where :wink: Care to announce the big news there????

Maz25!!!!! You've been hiding the news from us!!!!! Either that or I have been missing your posts on the 457 thread at you know where :wink: Care to announce the big news there????

Ha ha, all in good time....I will as soon as I have the visa in hand. :smile:

Lol, I did post that I was waiting on 2 job offers a while back but never updated to actually confirm that I did get both jobs (one was in New Zealand though).

Hopefully, I'll be Perth bound in a few weeks. :biggrin:

Guest guest59177
Ha ha, all in good time....I will as soon as I have the visa in hand. :smile:

Lol, I did post that I was waiting on 2 job offers a while back but never updated to actually confirm that I did get both jobs (one was in New Zealand though).

Hopefully, I'll be Perth bound in a few weeks. :biggrin:

Awwww c'mon Maz!!! You think you won't get the visa? All your friends will be feeling left out when you do tell. Do reconsider...

I have been confused about this too. I read about the "1 month" thing but didn't know how that would be possible with a 1 month notice period at work and getting everything sorted out.

I'm moving out on my own, so 1 month is actually adequate for me - I've got a little list of things to do drafted up so I know what I need to do and by when and have already started organising certain things, such as shippers. Most companies are quite happy to negotiate though. I've had numerous conversations with my new employer and will actually end up moving probably within a week of my visa being approved. My new employer is desperate for me to join as they are snowed under (and I'm overeager to move so that worked out well for both of us) but that said, a lot of employers will understand that you have commitments and will quite happily work with you to agree on a mutually convenient start date.

No time limit stated on the visa, so I presume its on your new employer and as they are sponsoring you and could cancel the visa at any minute, I suppose it make sense to keep them sweet, my new employer has not put me under any pressure, my contract says TBA, I think thats because we still waiting for the visa (457), if all goes well we should be in Perth by the end of November

Hi all

Im just waiting on my med insurance certificate so i can send it to my sponsor then they can lodge my visa application. Had problems paying for it though due to not having a credit card to make the payment and because i dont have a Australian bank account i couldnt set up i direct debit .

As anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it

jason cheryl and daniel

Hi all

Im just waiting on my med insurance certificate so i can send it to my sponsor then they can lodge my visa application. Had problems paying for it though due to not having a credit card to make the payment and because i dont have a Australian bank account i couldnt set up i direct debit .

As anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it

jason cheryl and daniel

I have a credit card so did not have any issues. However, the insurer I went with did provide the option of making a bank transfer. That might be an option for you.

Other option is to get a prepaid credit card, though that might take longer than a bank transfer as you have to factor in the paperwork.

Guest TCASAlert

My contract states "Start Date: XX November 2011 (or another date which is mutually agreed by both parties)".

I presume if it doesn't come through in time we just discuss it with the employer with a view to a new date.