Living outside Australia on a temporary residency visa

Guest awtovey

Hi there. I'm looking for some information regarding my current visa situation. In May 2011 I was granted temporary Australian residency through a defacto partner visa. I am wanting to know whether I can live and work in the UK for extended periods over the next two years.

My partner and I are absolutely committed to each other but we are both in our mid twenties and are trying to build careers for ourselves and our future together. I have struggled over the past year and a half to find the work I want in Australia and I know that in some ways my prospects are better for a good job back home where I have more contacts and prior experience. My partner is studying a Masters degree and will have to keep living in Sydney for the next year while she completes it. We've decided that we may have to live apart for a bit if it means that I can pursue my own career trajectory. When she finishes her studies then she'll either join me in the UK and seek residency there or I'll be back. Our long-term goal is for both of us to have citizenship in both countries.

We're worried that there are restrictions on me living away from Oz and complications with us living apart for longer periods. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum, I am not sure on the answer but will move your post to the migration section and hopefully someone can help.

Kate