You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

cartertucker

Mobile phones ~ What did you do?

My eldest Son & Hubby have pretty decent phones & are wondering, do they take those & get new sims? :unsure:

What did you do? Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks :cute:

We're taking ours I thought you could just get an Oz sim! I hope so!!!

Paul (40), Lesa (41), Jason (12) and Jamie (10)

AQF III passed 18/03/2010 TRA sent 07/04/2010 TRA Approved 27/05/2010 WA SS lodged 20/12/10 WA SS rec 03/02/11 Visa lodged 05/02/11 CO assigned 07/03/11 VISA GRANTED 10/05/11 :biggrin:

Guest mr magoo

I brought my I phone from the UK, it was unlocked and works fine on Telstra and Optus, two of the main Oz networks.

There are also plenty of pay as you talk deals here if needed, contract phones seem to cost more here.

Also, if your phone is locked to a UK network it is cheaper and easier to get it unlocked before you move..

Also, if your phone is locked to a UK network it is cheaper and easier to get it unlocked before you move..

have to agree with this one ....my daughter paid $60 to get her i phone unlocked over here :shocked:

mrs keily

LIFE IS A COIN , YOU CAN SPEND IT ON WHATEVER YOU WISH , BUT ... YOU CAN ONLY SPEND IT ONCE

have to agree with this one ....my daughter paid $60 to get her i phone unlocked over here :shocked:

mrs keily

Very true. We paid a few quid for unlock codes off ebay before we came and pleased we did as our friend paid $70 to have her Blackberry unlocked.

mrs keily

Great advice thankyou, I shall get this done :wink:

We brought our unlocked phones here and use OZ sims. I am with Virgin, which is OK in the CBD but is quite bad outside it. It is on Optus network. Telstra is said to have the best coverage but is quite more expensive than other providers - think of it as Orange in the UK. My husband is with Telstra on his work mobile and has no problem with it. I am looking for a different provider myself at the moment, any suggestions here?

As long as your phone isn't network locked, you'll find that Aus sims are cheap and easy to get. We popped into the 24 hour convenience shop opposite our first night hotel and found a selection of SIMS there basically for the cost of the credit they came pre-loaded with. This had us up and running with mobiles less than two hours after landing!

(As an OT aside, this isn't true everywhere. When we did some travelling a couple of years back, we found that Canada was a total rip off...they wanted $60 for a local SIM...then you had to buy credit on top of that!)

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Telstra has the best network, Vodaphone is Vodafail - I am with them and the calls keep cutting out a total nightmare.

There is also Amaysim which offers a package where you get calls and text for free (subject to certain conditions of coure) but then there is also Lebara and Lycamobile. Lyca I know piggybacks on Telstra so if you want the convenience of Telstra without the price Lyca is the way to go.

Before signing on with any contract though check your reception - cause it doesnt mean that if you are in the city that all networks are equal. No use being unable to get reception on your chosen network when you are at home or at work.