Oz eases visa requirements to woo Indian students

virtual_bajwa

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110923/main6.htm

Ashok Tuteja

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, September 22

Concerned over the sharp decline in the number of foreign students Down Under following a spate of attacks last year, Australia today announced significant changes in visa requirements for Indian and other overseas students to win back their confidence.

Under the new arrangements, international students enrolled in courses at the level of bachelor degree or higher will be treated as lower risk applicants regardless of their country of origin. This will mean less onerous financial and documentary requirements for students in this category.

Students undertaking vocational courses, including with private education providers, would continue to be assessed against the higher assessment levels although financial requirements would also be reduced for these students.

The changes will also allow for a two to four year post-study work visa for university graduates depending on the level of study completed.

These and other changes were announced by Australian Ministers for Tertiary Education, Skills, Jobs and Workplace Relations Senator Chris Evans and Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP.

According to the Australian High Commission in New Delhi, these changes will be progressively implemented from late 2011, with the full complement of changes expected to be finalised in the first half of 2012. Following the attacks on Indian students Down Under early last year, the number of Indians getting enrolled in Australian universities has reduced considerably, hitting the higher education industry there. Higher education is a major source of foreign exchange earnings for Australia. There were nearly 1,00,000 Indian students in various Australian universities until they came under racial attacks, triggering concerns about their safety. Many students who had desired to go to Australia last year and this year changed their plans and opted for other foreign universities or institutions in India to pursue higher studies.

New regime

Students enrolled in courses of bachelor degree or higher will be treated as lower risk applicants, meaning less onerous financial and documentary requirements.

Students undertaking vocational courses would continue to be assessed against the higher assessment levels although financial requirements would be reduced.

Changes will also allow for a two to four year post-study work visa for university graduates The changes will be implemented from late 2011

Guest IamJustaUser

Another Stunt to attract Students to get into trap. Once they are here then its the game on....waste your money to get worthless degree and then wait for 3 years to get a PR.

Guest guest59177
Another Stunt to attract Students to get into trap. Once they are here then its the game on....waste your money to get worthless degree and then wait for 3 years to get a PR.

I find it interesting that you would describe the degres as 'worthless'. Could you please elaborate a bit? Do you mean that the course content isn't at par with universities in America/Britain? I would like to know the reason for your disenchantment. Thanks in advance!!!

I for one am quite happy with the degree I obtained here ... what were you expecting precisely ? all degrees regardless of the university are but pieces of paper. It is what you make of it in life that matters :wubclub:

In my opinion one should decide his/her objectives before deciding on countries.If your aim is to get a SUPERB degree with an international degree,try for US/UK..(HARVARD,YALE,MIT,CAMBRIDGE,OXFORD ..have established names...Ozzie names Like Deakin,Griffith still do not have that kinda acceptance amongst Indian or SE Asian corporate giants!)...

Australia is NOT the destination for higher studies!..it is not the degree alone which is an issue.

The Australian society in general is not very welcoming of anyone foreign,who is colored!....and they are very quick at stereotyping,being a small population..Indian students should try their level best for US/UK,where in the social acceptance for coloured folks is FAR better!!

US in fact has a well-established precedence for offering tution-waiver or an education aid,if you have higher GRE/TOEFL score,which are very easy exams for Indians,if one slogs out for a month..(high school arithmetic and spellings!..and they want Indians who have studied till graduation in English to still sit for it!..bah)..Now,the point of contrast is at the point of immigration..if your aim is to immigrate to a white country,in the first place,yes,go for Australia...because,that is their lure at the moment, since their universities have less of a standing vis-a-vis the UK and US...but,if your intention is to obtain a degree and return...then US UK and for that matter European countries,are FAR superior!

Guest IamJustaUser
In my opinion one should decide his/her objectives before deciding on countries.If your aim is to get a SUPERB degree with an international degree,try for US/UK..(HARVARD,YALE,MIT,CAMBRIDGE,OXFORD ..have established names...Ozzie names Like Deakin,Griffith still do not have that kinda acceptance amongst Indian or SE Asian corporate giants!)...

Australia is NOT the destination for higher studies!..it is not the degree alone which is an issue.

The Australian society in general is not very welcoming of anyone foreign,who is colored!....and they are very quick at stereotyping,being a small population..Indian students should try their level best for US/UK,where in the social acceptance for coloured folks is FAR better!!

US in fact has a well-established precedence for offering tution-waiver or an education aid,if you have higher GRE/TOEFL score,which are very easy exams for Indians,if one slogs out for a month..(high school arithmetic and spellings!..and they want Indians who have studied till graduation in English to still sit for it!..bah)..Now,the point of contrast is at the point of immigration..if your aim is to immigrate to a white country,in the first place,yes,go for Australia...because,that is their lure at the moment, since their universities have less of a standing vis-a-vis the UK and US...but,if your intention is to obtain a degree and return...then US UK and for that matter European countries,are FAR superior!

Thanks Alex for the explanation , that's what i mean .

Alex997 I personally find your comments racist towards Australians and offensive.

I also disagree with you about the standards of higher education (and I have tertiary qualifications from both the UK and Australia so can compare).

I strongly support your right to speak freely.

Please remember that an eye-for-an-eye only creates blindness in all.

Good luck in your future endeavours

Guest guest59177

In the recent months I have read of some bleeding edge scientific research being conducted in OZ universities. One of the things I remember is a quantum computing/encryption system. I have also taken a look at the masters level statistics and financial mathematics courses in NSW. Can't find any faults in what I see. I suppose there are some subjects which will be strong points and some where you might find fault but it is essential to keep a balanced picture.

U sound as though the doors to "HARVARD,YALE,MIT,CAMBRIDGE,OXFORD" are wide open and anyone can enter at will so long as they have a superb GRE/GMAT score. Obviously you have no experience in applying at these institutes. My friend there are many factors other than just academic scores one has to worry about when trying to gain access into an 'ivy' league institute. True though that Aussie unis do not have the reputation these places of higher learning have. That said not everyone is smart enough to get admission there some of us just have to go with what we get. Australian admission I got so I went....

"The Australian society in general is not very welcoming of anyone foreign,who is colored!...." if this is the case why did you even bother coming or try to come here in the first place ? ... I have been working professionally here for 2 years now and I personally have not experienced any sort of discrimination you are describing. Quite the contrary, folks here go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I have experienced caste discrimination in India though especially when I need to get something donme in the govt/public offices :confused:.

leptokurtic thank-you very much for speaking on a topic which you obviously know a lot about :)

I find your posts informative and balanced and can only commend you on them - I think your positive attitude and energy is exactly what Australia needs, I look forward to welcoming you as a PR when the time comes :)

U sound as though the doors to "HARVARD,YALE,MIT,CAMBRIDGE,OXFORD" are wide open and anyone can enter at will so long as they have a superb GRE/GMAT score. Obviously you have no experience in applying at these institutes. My friend there are many factors other than just academic scores one has to worry about when trying to gain access into an 'ivy' league institute. True though that Aussie unis do not have the reputation these places of higher learning have. That said not everyone is smart enough to get admission there some of us just have to go with what we get. Australian admission I got so I went....

"The Australian society in general is not very welcoming of anyone foreign,who is colored!...." if this is the case why did you even bother coming or try to come here in the first place ? ... I have been working professionally here for 2 years now and I personally have not experienced any sort of discrimination you are describing. Quite the contrary, folks here go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I have experienced caste discrimination in India though especially when I need to get something donme in the govt/public offices :confused:.

...You answered it yourself....Australian universities do not equate to any of the Ivy league...so if the question is...."which is the best university?"...Australia surely does not figure in it!...is it easy to get in there?...of course not! So yes,if one wants to enter into a tier 2 university,then yes,sure,why not australia..

As far as discrimintaion in India goes!...oh yes!...we are discriminating!!...and we make no bones about it...caste system is alive and well in India!...and the governement has done enough by polarizing the society further by giving special rights and reservations to different castes!...But werent we talking about Australian society here?..if we were talk of Indian society,then there should be another thread for it....

thankfully the australian govt has moved away from the "white australia" movement,which in itself was not for the white folks as is believed..

Another question was..."why did you bother coming here?"..well,number of reasons why people immigrate...no.1 for people from Indian sub-continent...is employment opportunities....that being said,I guess it is wrong to have it as a rhetoric in itself..because,Australia is not a perfect society!..and it needs to be less ignorant..just because 2-3 or 200-300 people of color advocate they are the best and are very welcoming does not change the fact that the identity of Australia is still that of white man,despite people of oriental and other colors amounting to close to 10%of the population...people like Pauline Hanson are alive and well in here!..if one goes to regional places like Rockhampton and Bundaberg..you will still be heckled for your color..

leptokurtic thank-you very much for speaking on a topic which you obviously know a lot about :)

I find your posts informative and balanced and can only commend you on them - I think your positive attitude and energy is exactly what Australia needs, I look forward to welcoming you as a PR when the time comes :)

DIAC should possibly keep an aptitude and attitude test for us colored folks!..if one fails the test...na!..you cant make it across,no matter what or how well the rest of your CV is!..great idea!..hope diac is looking at this!

Guest guest59177
DIAC should possibly keep an aptitude and attitude test for us colored folks!..if one fails the test...na!..you cant make it across,no matter what or how well the rest of your CV is!..great idea!..hope diac is looking at this!

If you think deeply, the speaking portion of IELTS tries to subtly do exactly that...

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110923/main6.htm

Ashok Tuteja

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, September 22

Concerned over the sharp decline in the number of foreign students Down Under following a spate of attacks last year, Australia today announced significant changes in visa requirements for Indian and other overseas students to win back their confidence.

Under the new arrangements, international students enrolled in courses at the level of bachelor degree or higher will be treated as lower risk applicants regardless of their country of origin. This will mean less onerous financial and documentary requirements for students in this category.

Students undertaking vocational courses, including with private education providers, would continue to be assessed against the higher assessment levels although financial requirements would also be reduced for these students.

The changes will also allow for a two to four year post-study work visa for university graduates depending on the level of study completed.

These and other changes were announced by Australian Ministers for Tertiary Education, Skills, Jobs and Workplace Relations Senator Chris Evans and Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP.

According to the Australian High Commission in New Delhi, these changes will be progressively implemented from late 2011, with the full complement of changes expected to be finalised in the first half of 2012. Following the attacks on Indian students Down Under early last year, the number of Indians getting enrolled in Australian universities has reduced considerably, hitting the higher education industry there. Higher education is a major source of foreign exchange earnings for Australia. There were nearly 1,00,000 Indian students in various Australian universities until they came under racial attacks, triggering concerns about their safety. Many students who had desired to go to Australia last year and this year changed their plans and opted for other foreign universities or institutions in India to pursue higher studies.

New regime

Students enrolled in courses of bachelor degree or higher will be treated as lower risk applicants, meaning less onerous financial and documentary requirements.

Students undertaking vocational courses would continue to be assessed against the higher assessment levels although financial requirements would be reduced.

Changes will also allow for a two to four year post-study work visa for university graduates The changes will be implemented from late 2011

Absolutely adore the last part wherein Indians decided to go to other institutes!...

...You answered it yourself....Australian universities do not equate to any of the Ivy league...so if the question is...."which is the best university?"...Australia surely does not figure in it!...is it easy to get in there?...of course not! So yes,if one wants to enter into a tier 2 university,then yes,sure,why not australia..

As far as discrimintaion in India goes!...oh yes!...we are discriminating!!...and we make no bones about it...caste system is alive and well in India!...and the governement has done enough by polarizing the society further by giving special rights and reservations to different castes!...But werent we talking about Australian society here?..if we were talk of Indian society,then there should be another thread for it....

thankfully the australian govt has moved away from the "white australia" movement,which in itself was not for the white folks as is believed..

Another question was..."why did you bother coming here?"..well,number of reasons why people immigrate...no.1 for people from Indian sub-continent...is employment opportunities....that being said,I guess it is wrong to have it as a rhetoric in itself..because,Australia is not a perfect society!..and it needs to be less ignorant..just because 2-3 or 200-300 people of color advocate they are the best and are very welcoming does not change the fact that the identity of Australia is still that of white man,despite people of oriental and other colors amounting to close to 10%of the population...people like Pauline Hanson are alive and well in here!..if one goes to regional places like Rockhampton and Bundaberg..you will still be heckled for your color..

Sorry to disappoint you but I come from a regional area mate... Toowoomba... :cute: havent experienced any race related issues here :goofy:

nobody 'wants' to end up second best, sometimes we just have to make do with what we get.

second tier universities does not necessarily mean second tier graduates

Not at all!..and Indians who have studied in Australia should not take it offensively...but one has to acknoweldge that there is a ranking for institutes..right?..

An MBA from BITS,Pilani and another newly established institute in India,are difficult to equate.

so u agree that Australian society is better than the society you came from, hence your decision to come here ?

yeah good for me.... but wasnt ur argument that people come here for an education merely to migrate ?

No..the statement was...make up your mind....if you need to migrate...eduaction could be a good route..as it gives one a taste of the local conditions as well..especially when it comes to pro-immigration countries like Australia...but if the aim is to get a Western degree...go for the best!...i.e.US/UK!