How long

Mummy Mann

How long before my pets travel would I need to start vaccinations? I have read 6 months.

I have 2 dogs that will be going with us. I have applied for a 175 visa so unsure yet when we will be going. Are the vaccinations only valid for a certain time, or could I start with their vaccinations now?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you x

How long before my pets travel would I need to start vaccinations? I have read 6 months.

I have 2 dogs that will be going with us. I have applied for a 175 visa so unsure yet when we will be going. Are the vaccinations only valid for a certain time, or could I start with their vaccinations now?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you x

The vet told me yesterday that the rabies one is valid for 3 years but he did seem a bit out of touch lol so don't take it as gospel. I decided to start sooner rather than later incase there were any problems with the blood tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mummy Mann

I dont know how long a 175 visa takes, but ideally the rabies vaccination needs to be done within 6-12 months before the flight and rabies blood sample at least 5 months before, so start early. The problem arises if you are not going for 18-24 months. The rabies vaccination in UK lasts for 3 years (unless your vets uses a particular one which only lasts 24 months), which is great, but the Australians stipulate that the pets have a vaccination within 12 months of the flight date, so it does not really matter how long the UK vaccination lasts as the Australians would like a recent vaccination against rabies.

I hope that makes sense.

Bob

Either ask a pet shipper or have a look at http://www.aqis.gov.au

Current rules are your dog will need a rabies vaccination 6-12 months before the flight, then rabies blood sample ideally 5-12 months before the flight (there are other timescales which are ok, but it will mean your dog being in quarantine for longer). Also distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus and parainfluenza within 12 months of the flight date and not less than 14 days. Just make sure the vets dont give Lepto, though it is not a deal breaker if he does.

• 6 months later...

Your comments & advice is so helpful.....it's bringing everything up to date....

My two dogs & cat came with me to the UK from Queensland at the end of 2009 (used a pet shipper so all quite easy)

We came to care for my very elderly mother who has now passed away, so we begin to think about returning.....

On the 'three year' rabies validation - there's me thinking we'd be fine as long as we went back this year - but thank goodness I read these posts as I now know I've got to get cracking with bringing everything up to date for the same three pets.

But what's 'Lepto' Bob ?