URGENT UPDATE - Shipping Pets

Guest The Pom Queen

frostie - that's terrible news about your pup - hope you can find someone to board her for you until he/she can make the move, if not will the breeder take pup back?

ok, so i haven't contacted aqis as the aqis webby does state 'refer to category 4'. I am flumoxed though that there is no exemption or adjustment for dogs already titre tested and receivng regular rabies vaccines. tbh i'm gutted DEFRA has changed the rules for import into the uk as this has almost certainly spurned the change for AQIS - grrr!

spoke to Bob at airpets (lovely man!), there was some 'talk' re AQIS apparently of dogs who'd recently been vacc'd/titred but tbh i'm just not prepared to take the risk unless/until it's in black and white from AQIS.

So, my dogs are both booked in to be titred and re-vacc'd tomorrow afternoon.......assuming they pass the titre (fingers crossed) this will mean we can't all fly until end of march 2012, a spanner in the works but not the end of the world.

DH has cancelled his interview :(

Guest The Pom Queen
Wish we could ship him before jan but have 6 weeks temporary accomodation which wont be pet freindly. Work have paid for it and cant afford not to take it.....( will mean we can save for our bond on a rental)

Frostie what about shipping him before Jan and then seeing if he can board with someone in their home, some carers charge $10 per day, some charge double that but it may be another option to look at.

• 1 month later...
Guest alterles

hello all

does any one no if i can go and see my dog whilst he is in quarantine, and does he do the quarantine here in europe or in the uk.

thanks

gary

Guest Cheeseman

AAAAAhhhhhhh, This is becoming a night mare for me so much red tape!!!

I have my Dexter booked in for all his Bloods, he is booked in to Quarantine in Sydney, He has his permit, I have just sent of for Export Certificate, He has his flight booked for 13th December, so only 30 days in quarantine, the only thing I am struggling with is the Singapore Transship certificate!! He's only going to be in the airport a couple of hours. I got myself into a right state last night trying to sort it still with no joy.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get this??

I've tried to get the best price for sending him, I wished I'd have paid for a full package now, Gold Package at http://www.PetAir.co.uk, their quote came back high, but they did EVERYTHING!!

This as all been thrust upon us with a Job offer and Full sponsorship.

Please Help!!

Cheeseman

Dear PIO members

The Australians have now classed UK as Rabies well controlled rather than rabies free. Which means that pets travelling from UK to Australia after Jan 1st 2012 now have to have pre travel rabies work. Pets have to have a rabies vaccination within 12 months of the flight date and a rabies vaccination at least 60 days before the flight, but ideally 6-12 months. They then need a rabies blood sample ideally at least 5 months before their flight date. It can be less than 5 months before their flight date, but they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine if that is the case. The pets are allowed out of quarantine 180 days after the date of the rabies blood sample or 30 days after they land whichever is the greater.

Basically - if you are thinking of going to Australia with your pet, start planning early. If you are planning to go in Jan or Feb next year - either try to send your pet before Jan 01st 2012 or be prepared for pets flight to be delayed or the quarantine stay be extended.

Check out the following link:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat4

www.petairuk.com

Please see the update on the Pet Shipping Forum http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/124633-new-rules-shipping-pets-back-uk-2012-a.html

I returned to the UK in Feb 2010 with pets who had the rabies vaccination and obviously waited six months before they left Australia.

Unfortunately, I didn't last longer than 8 months back in the UK, as I couldn't find a job.... welll.... long story and not the point of my post so won't go there...!! I brought one dog and one cat back to Australia in June this year, but my other dog failed his Erlichia test and so he wasn't able to come. I couldn't find a home for him and couldn't bear to have him put to sleep, so he has been at the boarding kennels (nice ones I hasten to add) for over a year. I suffered ill health after returning to Australia and couldn't work for several months, so haven't been able to afford to send for him. However, I am well now and start a new job on Monday, and intend to have my dog re-tested with a view to him coming over here in the New Year.

Just read this note about the rabies thing, and it has thrown me into a complete panic.... can anyone tell me if, as he has already had a rabies injection in 2009 and a clear blood test prior to him going to the UK, then does that mean he won't have to have another rabies test and wait the quarantine term? Or will he just have to have another blood test to check that he still isn't carrying the rabies virus. I just hope this is the case, as I simply can't afford to have him in kennels any longer or pay 6 months quarantine fees.... in which case, I shall just have to pay the boarding fees that I owe the kennels and ask the vet to put him to sleep.... that would break my heart not to mention the money I've spent already......

Wish we could ship him before jan but have 6 weeks temporary accomodation which wont be pet freindly. Work have paid for it and cant afford not to take it.....( will mean we can save for our bond on a rental)

Couldn't you fly him over before the end of the year and put in boarding kennels once he's released from quarantine, until you have found more permanent accommodation?

hello all

does any one no if i can go and see my dog whilst he is in quarantine, and does he do the quarantine here in europe or in the uk.

thanks

gary

Yes you can, but the hours are very very restrictive - Sydney for example - no visiting during the weekend... I think you can only visit a during a couple of days a week. I used a company called Dog Walks, an English lady based in Queensland runs the operation. She arranges for one of her employees to visit your dog and exercise them and give them cuddles, they also take photos and post onto a website so you can see them. A very good service and reasonably priced, they even bought him a warm jacket 'cos it was winter. I found the Sydney quarantine people, the manager being the main problem I believe, very difficult to deal with - red tape wrapped around the whole place. I had a HUGE row with the manager there who wouldn't even let me visit my dog after I spent 3 hours on public transport going over to pay them some money as my card wouldn't work in their machine and I had to take the cash over to them. It is right outside in horrible Western Sydney and not near a railway station. I couldn't believe she wouldn't let me see him, he had been in boarding kennels for 8 months in the UK, so hadn't seen him since then. She wouldn't budge.... I told her oppo to pass a message on to her which was "I believe what goes around comes around"..... and guess what..... had a call from Karen at Dog Walks a few weeks later to tell me that she had been removed from her post..... hahaha

• 1 month later...

I need to know a government authorised vet in the Uk as I need to get my two dogs rabies vaccinated, tested and the forms etc completed. Can anybody give me some names and locations that are able to do these things. Can a routine vet carry out the vaccination as long as the authorised vet carries out the testing?

I need to know a government authorised vet in the Uk as I need to get my two dogs rabies vaccinated, tested and the forms etc completed. Can anybody give me some names and locations that are able to do these things. Can a routine vet carry out the vaccination as long as the authorised vet carries out the testing?

Hi, if you send an email to the following :Petexports.Carlisle@ahvla.gsi.gov.uk

They can confirm if your local vet is DEFRA approved or you can just ask at your local vets

Thank you for that Mummy Mann, I have emailed them after getting your reply. I see from your timeline that you are sitting in the 'HOLD' queue as well. I lodged my nomination foe ENS visa in september 2011 and still waiting for it to be approved so that I can lodge the application. It better hurry up as my skills assessment now only has a year before expiry. As soon as I get the nomination approved I will be arranging for my dogs to get the relevant vaccinations, test etc and hopefully that part will go smoothly as nothing else has as yet.

• 1 month later...

Question please....So can I clarify Dogs going from Oz to Uk if they have all their rabies shots and blood test, will not spend time in Quarantine in the UK.

But Dogs going from UK to Oz, even if they have had their rabies shots up to date will still be required to spend 30days in Quarantine in Australia.

Is this right???

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Has anyone recently just realised as I have that the Rabies vaccination rules change by AQIS will mean that unless you had 6 months to plan that their little pets could be in quarantine for a lot longer than 30 days. We have 2 cats and I am now worried about the fact that it seems that they may be in either cattery or quarantine for about 90-120 days. Has anybody ever had their cats in catteries or quarantine for this long? Any other pet owners input to this would be really , really welcome.

We did not plan 6 months ahead as we were waiting to sell the house and in my ignorance failed to spot the new Rabies rules for Australia.

Has anyone recently just realised as I have that the Rabies vaccination rules change by AQIS will mean that unless you had 6 months to plan that their little pets could be in quarantine for a lot longer than 30 days. We have 2 cats and I am now worried about the fact that it seems that they may be in either cattery or quarantine for about 90-120 days. Has anybody ever had their cats in catteries or quarantine for this long? Any other pet owners input to this would be really , really welcome.

We did not plan 6 months ahead as we were waiting to sell the house and in my ignorance failed to spot the new Rabies rules for Australia.

Tbh quarantine always used to be 6 months anyway. And plenty of animals survived that. Also lots of cats and dogs spend months in rescue kennels waiting to be rehomed.

Get the rabies stuff done ASAP so you give yourself as much time as possible.

Yeah unfortunately it changed in January this year. It is 6 months after the blood test is taken.

My dogs had their 1st jab then 2 weeks after that their 2nd then they had to wait 4 weeks after that for their blood test. So you can add an extra 2 months on top of the 6 months.

That is all providing the blood test is positive. If not they have to start the rabies jabs again. It cost £25 for each injection and £105 each for the blood test.

Tbh quarantine always used to be 6 months anyway. And plenty of animals survived that. Also lots of cats and dogs spend months in rescue kennels waiting to be rehomed.

Excuse my ignorance but my hubby is in the process of going through interviews just now .... I would be taking my cat & my dog with me & if i were to start the process of their rabies vacc & blood tests just now but say we were STILL here in 10-12 months time, what then ? I understand currently we need atleast 6 months this side for them to get away with only 30 days quarrantine but i'm unsure what happens if a certain time lapses.

many thanks.

I am waiting for my vet to call me back now. I am glad you have said about the 6 months as it used to be . The voice of reason over emotional mum of 2 and professional cat spoiler. It will just have to be what it will have to be! They will survive . If only I had known earlier!

so far my 6 year old cat has even avoided a cattery as we've always managed to get a house sitter to come & stay when we go on holiday... a 7 mile trip to the vet is traumatic enough so he'll be miserable as hell... my 5 year old greyhound was kennelled as a racer his first 4 years so I am hoping he will take it in his stride.. gonna be gutted to be parted with my maxy dog even for a month... i'll be lost without him.

• 2 weeks later...
Question please....So can I clarify Dogs going from Oz to Uk if they have all their rabies shots and blood test, will not spend time in Quarantine in the UK.

But Dogs going from UK to Oz, even if they have had their rabies shots up to date will still be required to spend 30days in Quarantine in Australia.

Is this right???

Thanks

you sure are....its great news for people returning to the UK

That's absolutely correct.

You need to contact your Australian vet approx. 7 months before you fly - to have all the shots & boosters & they need to have their last check-up the day before you fly, but if you follow all the rules step by step there's no quarantine in England for dogs coming in from Australia....24 hours at Heathrow (or whichever airport you're landing at)

Mine travelled the day before me & I got off the 'plane, had some brekkie & went to collect them.

Two waggly tails & a loud MEOUW!!

Going back - 30 days - which is going to be AWful (for me!) but NOTHING like six months.....

• 4 weeks later...

This news has really freaked me out.

We are looking to move to Perth at the beginning of September and have two cats that we want to bring with us.

I understand all imported cats have to be vaccinated against rabies and must be tested 4 weeks after vaccination by a Government Approved Veterinarian at a Government Approved Lab and then the process approved by an Official Government Veterinarian. I also understand that the vaccination must happen at least 60 days before export and that they cannot leave quarantine in Australia until at least 180 days have passed since the rabies test, whic means they would be in quarantine for 120 days.

Having been in limbo waiting for a job offer, I had been loathe to research (stupid, I know) and when I last checked, it just said about a min of a month in quarantine. If I get my two vaccinated tomorrow, I will still have to pay for them to be in quarantine for 4 months once wee're over there, which I cannot afford. Other than trying to find someone to look after them for 3 months after we leave and getting them to send them (which is a big ask), is there anyway round this?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Buckydee

Afraid not - new rules were published mid-late last year to give people the opportunity to prepare (i.e. get their pets sent out before the January change) and therefore the rabies and time that must pass is mandatory - we got ours vaccinated in December and test in January to allow them to travel in June and only spend the min. 30 days in quarantine.

Sorry I can't give any more advice, other than start asking family and friends really nicely!! Oh and get your rabies vaccination done ASAP! :biggrin: