URGENT UPDATE - Shipping Pets

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Dear PIO members

The Australians have now classed UK as Rabies well controlled rather than rabies free. Which means that pets travelling from UK to Australia after Jan 1st 2012 now have to have pre travel rabies work. Pets have to have a rabies vaccination within 12 months of the flight date and a rabies vaccination at least 60 days before the flight, but ideally 6-12 months. They then need a rabies blood sample ideally at least 5 months before their flight date. It can be less than 5 months before their flight date, but they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine if that is the case. The pets are allowed out of quarantine 180 days after the date of the rabies blood sample or 30 days after they land whichever is the greater.

Basically - if you are thinking of going to Australia with your pet, start planning early. If you are planning to go in Jan or Feb next year - either try to send your pet before Jan 01st 2012 or be prepared for pets flight to be delayed or the quarantine stay be extended.

Check out the following link:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat4

http://www.petairuk.com

Please see the update on the Pet Shipping Forum http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/124633-new-rules-shipping-pets-back-uk-2012-a.html

I was just at the vets yesterday getting my dog chipped and her rabies injection. He was telling me that now in the UK, it's only a 3 week wait for the rabies results, so I'll have her passport within a month. I believe your dog will have to do longer in quarantine without a passport on her return.

Pets from the EU and listed third countries (e.g. USA, Australia)

Under the current UK Pet Travel Scheme, any pet entering the UK from the EU or a listed third country that does not meet the UK’s current entry rules (microchip, vaccination, blood test, six month waiting period, tick and tapeworm treatment, passport/health certification) must be isolated in quarantine for 6 months or until they meet those rules (whichever is the lesser period).

From 1 January 2012 pets entering the UK from a listed third country or EU member state must meet the following EU rules:

Microchip;

Vaccination for rabies;

EU pet passport or official third country health certificate confirming microchip and vaccination;

21-day wait from date of vaccination.

Found this on their site, it looks like a dog can be released 2 months early if the above criteria are met.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if this change applied to dogs coming from the Republic of Ireland?

Thanks,

Kate.

Hi All

It would be best if you asked your shipping questions in the pet shipping forum that way the experts can provide you with the correct information.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air

Admin:notworthy:

Guest HighPeakJulie

Hi,

Does the rabies vacination need to be carried out by an official government vet?

We are going to Perth in January and have just discoved this new rule so are trying to get a jab booked asap (which we could go at our local vets very quickly). We have spoken to one Pet Shipping company and they think it wouldn't be possible to ship our dog late December because the Perth Quarantine is difficult to get into.

Thanks

Oh no...with this latest news i really dont know what to do with our minature shnauzer puppy.

With job offer and contracts being signed next week to start on the 16th jan i feel we are totally stuffed.....:arghh:

We really want to take him but the thought of him being in a kennel for 2 months with the new rabbies jab thing im not sure i can do it to him......

I suppose the only other option is to fly out in Jan and see if someone can keep him till march and then fly him out to us??

If bob from pet air picks this up could you please advise if we can pay his full fees up front and leave him with family till the 5 months have passed from rabies jab ?? Or is it 5 months from date of results of blood tests???

Oh no...with this latest news i really dont know what to do with our minature shnauzer puppy.

With job offer and contracts being signed next week to start on the 16th jan i feel we are totally stuffed.....:arghh:

We really want to take him but the thought of him being in a kennel for 2 months with the new rabbies jab thing im not sure i can do it to him......

I suppose the only other option is to fly out in Jan and see if someone can keep him till march and then fly him out to us??

If bob from pet air picks this up could you please advise if we can pay his full fees up front and leave him with family till the 5 months have passed from rabies jab ?? Or is it 5 months from date of results of blood tests???

The rules come into force on 1st Jan. So can't you fly him out at end of Dec, then just 30 days in quarantine and he'll be released end of Jan. If you're going mid Jan that will give you a couple of weeks to sort out dog friendly house. Flights & quarantine are booking up quickly so arrange it asap with your pet shipping.

• 3 weeks later...

AAAAArgh! Only just spotted this - i take it aussie is downgrading the uk to cat 4 because the stupid uk is laxing it's own import rules?!

i'm furious, both mine have a pet passport and we've dutifully kept to the requirements of that - now it's not even needed for the UK.

Can anyone send a link with accurate info? is this definite or just an anticipated change?

The link earlier on the thread just takes to cat 4 requirments and doesn't yet list UK.

Mine have pet passports but the rabies vacc and seriological test was done a couple of years back - do they have to go through it all again?

AAAAArgh! Only just spotted this - i take it aussie is downgrading the uk to cat 4 because the stupid uk is laxing it's own import rules?!

i'm furious, both mine have a pet passport and we've dutifully kept to the requirements of that - now it's not even needed for the UK.

Can anyone send a link with accurate info? is this definite or just an anticipated change?

The link earlier on the thread just takes to cat 4 requirments and doesn't yet list UK.

Mine have pet passports but the rabies vacc and seriological test was done a couple of years back - do they have to go through it all again?

Hi this is the link i followed.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat4

thanks frostie, i'm freaking out here - DH is currently interviewing for jobs and we figured we'd be there by next easter. now i've worked out we can't go until april and that's if i do the tests this week.

it seems damned unfair when mine already have antibodies and rabies vaccs :(

going to call pet air now to check my understanding of that doc. but basically i'm reading it as rabies vacc and blood draw asap - and i can do blood draw same day as mine have previously passed. then import and other bloods i can sort nearer the time.

thanks frostie, i'm freaking out here - DH is currently interviewing for jobs and we figured we'd be there by next easter. now i've worked out we can't go until april and that's if i do the tests this week.

it seems damned unfair when mine already have antibodies and rabies vaccs :(

going to call pet air now to check my understanding of that doc. but basically i'm reading it as rabies vacc and blood draw asap - and i can do blood draw same day as mine have previously passed. then import and other bloods i can sort nearer the time.

If you check the other posts Bob from Pet air has given advice and it has come into force from 1st Jan. Rules out us taking our Puppy unless we get an offer to look after him..... Hope you just need the blood tests and not the Jab....Mandy

if you go to the main 'import cats and dogs' it says this.....

From 1 January 2012, cats and dogs from the UK, Malta, Republic of Ireland, and Sweden will be required to have a rabies vaccination and rabies titre test prior to entry into Australia.

I'm totally freaking out right now, DH is going to look a plank telling the company he's interviewing with there's no point progressing as we can't go until april.

If i could sort the other paperwork out and book quarantine space in time are we exempt if they land BEFORE 1st Jan 2012????