Anyone heading to Brisbane in 2013?

Guest ladyrubyred

Guest paulwbafc

I live near Cleveland met many fine people there. Know many people in the Cleveland tavern and sands now that I can pop in anytime and meet people I know. Regulars and all that. So easy to get on with people there. We all have regular get together s barbies etc. Anyone there now, Cleveland tavern Fridays from 5pm and Sunday's around 4pm. Ask for Paul Edwards the baggies fan they all know me in there. Just introduce yourselves and I will introduce you to people. Many of us are ex pats from uk new Zealand , other parts of Australia. Great community great people.

Guest PaulEmmaNelson
We are from Harrogate, where abouts in Morth Yorkshire were you guys from? How long have you been in Oz now?

We were from Masham, now happily settled on the Gold Coast, 7 weeks and counting...are you here yet? Love Harrogate!

Good luck everyone.

It took us over 4 years to get the visa. Oz gov changes to application process. But we have it now. Done the reccie in march and flights booked for 17th Jan 2013. Heading to sunshine coast. (renting, market too low to sell so not even tried... All energies on rental.)

cant wait but scary as we will be taking Callum away from grandparents..

danny 34 ,,, Emma 32,,, Callum 19 months (at time of this post.)

Would be nice to Ching a bear at a beach BBQ! Cheers. Yeeeeehaaaaaaa"

Edited by Danny&Em
Rent ref added.

Hi,

We are also going to Brisbane, hoping Springfield area in August 2013! Hubby 42, me 39 and son who is 16! Hubby and son are citizens so I have to get spouse visa, have to sell the house to go, this goes on the market in January. God I hope it works out for us!

good luck everyone

Shelly

Guest PaulEmmaNelson
flights booked for March 2013, really need to sort fully furnished rental, so expensive !

Have you tried brisbanebound.com, a great guy that couldn't help us out but he tried and his houses look lovely for a great price, we ended up leaving it a little late (learn from our mistake) and used homelyhouses.com which are pricey but compared to what we are staying in right now would be the difference between a good start and a depressing one. We stayed in their Graceville Green house which like i said looking back was amazing, the quality compared to the crap short stay apartments we've been in since is well worth the difference.

Also if the removals quote 8 - 11 weeks, make arrangements for 11 not 8, our last 3 weeks filling in that gap have nearly sent us packing again...

If you have any questions just ask we are only a few months infront of you guys and everything is still very fresh!

Good luck ;)

Emma

Have you tried brisbanebound.com, a great guy that couldn't help us out but he tried and his houses look lovely for a great price, we ended up leaving it a little late (learn from our mistake) and used homelyhouses.com which are pricey but compared to what we are staying in right now would be the difference between a good start and a depressing one. We stayed in their Graceville Green house which like i said looking back was amazing, the quality compared to the crap short stay apartments we've been in since is well worth the difference.

Also if the removals quote 8 - 11 weeks, make arrangements for 11 not 8, our last 3 weeks filling in that gap have nearly sent us packing again...

If you have any questions just ask we are only a few months infront of you guys and everything is still very fresh!

Good luck ;)

Emma

thanks for your advice Emma, we really appreciate it. We have contacted Brisbanebound homes, fingers crossed. Did you guys have jobs before you arrived. We can't look until arrived as my husband is a head chef and employers usually need chefs to start instantly.

Sarah.

Guest PaulEmmaNelson
thanks for your advice Emma, we really appreciate it. We have contacted Brisbanebound homes, fingers crossed. Did you guys have jobs before you arrived. We can't look until arrived as my husband is a head chef and employers usually need chefs to start instantly.

Sarah.

Hi,

nope no job yet, I'm a stay at home mum and Paul is a sparky whose qualifications aren't recognised here, well not till we pay hundreds of dollars for a certificate here and a test there, absolutely farcical really as UK electricians could run rings round most here?!

He is looking daily though as money really starts to drop once you've secured a long term rental that requires paying weekly on top of a fairly hefty bond... Our biggest and most time consuming problem was that we had no idea on where we wanted to base ourselves, and having 2 girls at primary I really wanted to get it right first time. If you guys know that much then maybe you could secure some interviews just before you leave?

Is it Brisbane you've decided on? That and Canberra I believe are the only 2 capitals with no beach, it may not worry you but although I loved Brissie for the first month it was weird coming to Oz and not being at least half an hour from one...food for thought if nothing else.

Keep them questions coming...;)

Emma

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,we are a family of 4 , boy 9 and girl 6, been here for 6 weeks and have no regrets what so ever. On a 457 for now then will apply for pr in 2 years. Pm if you need any advise and will try and help out or could meet for a coffee sometime. Living near Helensvale.