Please help!!! - What are taxable items to Australia?

Guest loveaussies

Guest loveaussies

Hi I am planning to move to Australia, as soon as my wife get 457 visa.........

My question is, did anyone know, If I take my 6 months old Nikon D3s camera worth 3500 pounds and lenses(worth another 4000 pounds) with me to Brisbane, will I have to declare it to Customs?...and how much will be the duty for something of this value?? also I have an Imac 27inch which is also only few months old, as I am a graphic designer and Photographer....Imac I am going to send by cargo as used item...worth 1300 pounds..

Anyway I got receipt and evidence of purchase for all of this...my query is sell it all here or is it worth taking them even after duty to Australia...I can prove Immigration people I am a professional guy..

Also can I send LED tv with households by cargo....is it also liable to duty..

please help if anyone took expensive gadgets like this before !!!:embarrassed:Thanks...

Hi there,

On a one off basis you can send your stuff as 'unaccompanied personal effects' and not be liable for any duty payments (with the obvious exception of alcohol, tobaco etc!). Goods need to be older than 12 months. Further information can be found here:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5889.asp

and also here:

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/SendingYourPersonalBelongingsToAustraliaAsCargoOrByInternationalMail.pdf

You fill in the declaration form when you send your stuff and so this covers everything imac and TV etc. that you were going to freight. If you put your camera in with your freight stuff it would also be fine and not liable for a duty payment.

I can't find any information with regards to stuff, such as your camera, that you might bring in with your luggage. I would be surprised if the above rules don't apply here but it might be worth getting in touch with customs to double check.