and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest orangemoon

Advice please - 485 to 885

Guest orangemoon

Hi,

I am hoping someone can give me some advice here.

We are on my partners Graduate 485 visa which is due to expire in a few weeks time. She is a hairdresser which she studied for here in 2007-2009, and as she got the 485 before they changed the points system show is eligible to apply for an 885 on the old points system.

Unfortunately we have hit a stumbling block.... the IELTS!! :no:

She needed a 7 in each band to get the 25 points she needs to get 120 points, but the reading section is catching her out every time and she has only got a 6.5 there.

We have no time to do anymore IELTS and all other options are not viable (employee,state etc).

My question is, if we put in for PR (885) with her current 110 points and 6 average IELTS score, will it go into processing until it is assigned a case worker in 2/3 years time or will the points be checked at the time of application and instantly be refused as she does not have the 120?

Also, could we add a 7 IELTS score at a later date? (I think this is a no but I did read somewhere that you could).

Any help or advice with this or even any other avenues that I haven't yet thought of would be great to hear.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi,

We are on my partners Graduate 485 visa which is due to expire in a few weeks time. She is a hairdresser which she studied for here in 2007-2009, and as she got the 485 before they changed the points system show is eligible to apply for an 885 on the old points system.

Unfortunately we have hit a stumbling block.... the IELTS!! :no:

She needed a 7 in each band to get the 25 points she needs to get 120 points, but the reading section is catching her out every time and she has only got a 6.5 there.

We have no time to do anymore IELTS and all other options are not viable (employee,state etc).

My question is, if we put in for PR (885) with her current 110 points and 6 average IELTS score, will it go into processing until it is assigned a case worker in 2/3 years time or will the points be checked at the time of application and instantly be refused as she does not have the 120?

Also, could we add a 7 IELTS score at a later date? (I think this is a no but I did read somewhere that you could).

Any help or advice with this or even any other avenues that I haven't yet thought of would be great to hear.

Thanks,

Tom

You misunderstand the applicable qualifying points scheme. I suggest you consult a registered migration agent.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Guest orangemoon

We did and they agreed with us that we currently have 110 points. What do you mean, misunderstood? Can we put in a PR application with just 110 points? That is pretty much what I am asking.

.. or am I missing something here?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/885/how-to-apply.htm

"If you do not have all of these documents and you need to lodge your application urgently, you must ensure that you meet the basic eligibility requirements to apply for this visa."

Basic Eligibility -> http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/885/eligibility-table-overseas.htm

Thus u must have a have a valid IELTS score in hand prior to lodging an 885. This score would add up to the 120 u need to make an 885 application.

Applied GSM 885 - 06/08/2009 (CAT 4) :: ACS Reassessment (Successful) :: Sent reassessment to DIAC - 02/06/2011 :: CAT 3 confirmation - 15/06/2011 (through PLE) :: CO Allocated - 05/07/2011 :: All docs submitted - 01/09/2011 :: Visa Grant 12/09/2011:jiggy:

We did and they agreed with us that we currently have 110 points. What do you mean, misunderstood? Can we put in a PR application with just 110 points? That is pretty much what I am asking.

.. or am I missing something here?

You are missing something.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Hi,

Unfortunately we have hit a stumbling block.... the IELTS!!

Thanks,

Tom

A SC885 application under transitional arrangements can be complicated, as it has some of the most intricate Regulations of any visa. This is partly due to the extensive and regular changes to the Regulations over the last couple of years. Each case needs to be assessed on its specific circumstances as there are many variables and specific rules dependant on particular circumstances.

In regards to submitting an IELTS test at a later date to claim more points at time of assessment; this is no longer a viable option since the Regulation changes defining English, came into effect on the 1st of July this year.

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."