Guest Andy

The UK economy.

Guest Andy

Not wishing to be all doom and gloom :no: but the economy in Britain does not appear to be picking up at all, i think it all started to go pear shaped in 2008 with the banking crisis and then we were plunged into recession but i guess generally 3 years later you would hope to see some signs of recovery and those green shoots :SLEEP: however if anything it seems to be going the other way with rising unemployment, higher living costs and what not. So whether you work for yourself or someone else can you see any hope of recovery over the next few months or do you also think it is not looking good?

It will take a generation o sort this mess out. The whole countries a mess and beyond repair......governments get elected promising the earth and don't deliver. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better especially with the public sector about to walk out. I'm quite happy to leave this sinking ship!

14-03-08 Operation Get Down Researched 23-03-08 Appointed Agent 06-05-08 TRA Application Sent 23-05-08 TRA Passed

04-06-08 Online Visa Application Submitted

Will just speak about the building industry and north west,my last real contract ended dec 09,2 or 3 days a week since then as ive said,thats at best,dozens of mates the same.

I go rite thru merseyside and bolton and wigan yellow pages every week,have done since dec 09,still havnt had a job from that,except for four days once.

My work comes thru an old workmate who set up on his own,but even he's had nothing for 3 weeks now.

Spoke to a fellah today with his own firm,hasnt had a call since last nov,nothing in the pipeline,nothing to price even,so he's given up,WAS gonna retire at 65 he said,but packing it in now at 62.

So for me,NO its not going to pick up,certainly not up here,i'l let others speak for their occupation/area.

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest stevenw8971
Not wishing to be all doom and gloom :no: but the economy in Britain does not appear to be picking up at all, i think it all started to go pear shaped in 2008 with the banking crisis and then we were plunged into recession but i guess generally 3 years later you would hope to see some signs of recovery and those green shoots :SLEEP: however if anything it seems to be going the other way with rising unemployment, higher living costs and what not. So whether you work for yourself or someone else can you see any hope of recovery over the next few months or do you also think it is not looking good?

Andy, I think some of the rising unemployment numbers is down to the public sector paying off some of the extra 1.5 million pen pushers that were employed during the New Labour years (example, I joined fire service 12 years ago - 400 support staff, now 1600 support staff, in one brigade) and them moving people off incapacity benefit to job seeker allowance (saves money).

Yeah, I do agree with you costs are going through the roof (must protect shareholders). Companies are charging more keep to profits up, instaed of reducing prices and selling more.

Unfortunatly, things will get a lot worse before it gets better, cause we now have an economy based on debt, and people can't afford to pay it off.

A sobering thought for those "happy to leave the sinking ship".

This current situation is a world thing, nobody has escaped it. About three years ago KRudd injected billions of dollars into the Australian economy then stood up and proudly told us all that he, single handedly had saved the country from recession. At the time the smart money was saying that all this stimulus package would achieve would be to stave off the inevitable for two or three years. And they were about right,the last few months have started to see it coming home to roost.

so far am alright but never take nowt for granted, mrs e takes ma money and she tells me she will invest it for me:laugh:

Talking to a mate who works for the public service - they have made half the department redundant, and then re employed half of those back again as contractors. Pure madness. (Although I've seen the same thing happen in large private companies)

It's just a waiting game. We're all waiting for the Euro to end, and then we can all get back on with it. Couple of years tops and things should start looking rosy.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Guest stevenw8971
A sobering thought for those "happy to leave the sinking ship".

This current situation is a world thing, nobody has escaped it. About three years ago KRudd injected billions of dollars into the Australian economy then stood up and proudly told us all that he, single handedly had saved the country from recession. At the time the smart money was saying that all this stimulus package would achieve would be to stave off the inevitable for two or three years. And they were about right,the last few months have started to see it coming home to roost.

And we were told Gordon Brown saved the world:biggrin:

True but some of the ships have already sunk where others are frantically bailing out and keeping afloat........the uk is a boat that has sunk in a deep pool with no great expectations in raising it. It's a bit like the Mary Rose......great excitement when it's being bought up from the dark depths, but in the end it's a load of rotting wood to look at.

14-03-08 Operation Get Down Researched 23-03-08 Appointed Agent 06-05-08 TRA Application Sent 23-05-08 TRA Passed

04-06-08 Online Visa Application Submitted

[At the time the smart money was saying that all this stimulus package would achieve would be to stave off the inevitable for two or three years.]who were the smart money i seem to remember industry applauding his actions. also the imf. europe is the key at the moment to most of the woes,Britain exports over sixty percent of its output to Europe ,when they get the gumption to do something positive for there ailing members things may pick up