Merriwa Primary School: Any comments or opinions?

popstar999

Hi all,

We just arrived in WA last week and have signed a 12 month rental for a property in Merriwa. The house is on the Merriwa/Butler border, but I think Merriwa Primary will be the closest school for my kids. I have a 6yr old and 3 yr old, and I'm just looking for thoughts/opinions on this school, please?

Does anyone have kids who go there, or have you heard anything (good or bad) about this school? I believe East Butler Primary and Butler Primary are both very good, but I don't think we'd be in the catchment area for them. (And apparently they are both full!)

Any comments welcome. :yes:

Thanks,

From Catherine

Hi all,

We just arrived in WA last week and have signed a 12 month rental for a property in Merriwa. The house is on the Merriwa/Butler border, but I think Merriwa Primary will be the closest school for my kids. I have a 6yr old and 3 yr old, and I'm just looking for thoughts/opinions on this school, please?

Does anyone have kids who go there, or have you heard anything (good or bad) about this school? I believe East Butler Primary and Butler Primary are both very good, but I don't think we'd be in the catchment area for them. (And apparently they are both full!)

Any comments welcome. :yes:

Thanks,

From Catherine

My friend sends her child there despite people telling her how bogan and awful it was. She has been absolutely delighted with the school.

Hi Chocolateb Orange,

Well, I went and had a look around Merriwa Primary on Tuesday morning. It's the school that we would fall under in the catchment area, but it was also the first school I looked at. Not having had anything to comapre it to, I thought the school was "ok". The principal was absolutely lovely and showed us around etc. And they had places for both my kids in the Year 1 and Kindy for 2012 start.

Then yesterday, I went and had a look at Quinns Beach Primary School (literally 5 mins away from Merriwa) and what a world of difference! Only problem is - we're not in the catchment area. Priority is ALWAYS given to pupils in the catchment area, and outsiders are only considered at the principal's discretion and if there is space. I was absolutely over the moon when she told me that they could take on both the kids - and even take our 6yr old on for the 4th term of this year, before she starts Year 1 in Feb!! The pricipal was also very friendly and helpful (as most people here seem to be) and I walked out of there feeling very pleased. My 6yr old was so excited, she made me go back and get her new uniform in the afternoon and spent the rest of the day parading around in it, bless her. :laugh: She can't wait for Monday.

As for Merriwa: Perhaps I wrote it off too quickly, but the feeling that I got between the 2 schools is just what sealed the deal for me.

Good luck with your big move though. Just be sure that if you're after a particular school that you get an address in the catchment area. Otherwise it's just the luck of the draw if the other schools have got space for you....

Catherine

Hi, My kids go to Quinns Beach Primary...Fantastic choice of school :) my kids have been there for 2 years now and love it!..In fact at one point we were planning on moving down south and they both cried and begged for us to stay:huh:..So looks like were here for a few more years yet LOL...We have also just accepted an offer of a kindy place for my 4 yr old!

Wendy

Hi Chocolateb Orange,

Well, I went and had a look around Merriwa Primary on Tuesday morning. It's the school that we would fall under in the catchment area, but it was also the first school I looked at. Not having had anything to comapre it to, I thought the school was "ok". The principal was absolutely lovely and showed us around etc. And they had places for both my kids in the Year 1 and Kindy for 2012 start.

Then yesterday, I went and had a look at Quinns Beach Primary School (literally 5 mins away from Merriwa) and what a world of difference! Only problem is - we're not in the catchment area. Priority is ALWAYS given to pupils in the catchment area, and outsiders are only considered at the principal's discretion and if there is space. I was absolutely over the moon when she told me that they could take on both the kids - and even take our 6yr old on for the 4th term of this year, before she starts Year 1 in Feb!! The pricipal was also very friendly and helpful (as most people here seem to be) and I walked out of there feeling very pleased. My 6yr old was so excited, she made me go back and get her new uniform in the afternoon and spent the rest of the day parading around in it, bless her. :laugh: She can't wait for Monday.

As for Merriwa: Perhaps I wrote it off too quickly, but the feeling that I got between the 2 schools is just what sealed the deal for me.

Good luck with your big move though. Just be sure that if you're after a particular school that you get an address in the catchment area. Otherwise it's just the luck of the draw if the other schools have got space for you....

Catherine

Go with your gut feeling, it is usually right. A friend of mine teaches at Quinns Beach and she is happy there. Well done and good luck to the kids on their new start.