You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

NZPom

Noosa - looking for info!

Hi. I don't come on here very often, but basically we are Brits who have been in living in NZ for 6 years and are planning to move to Queensland as soon as our house sells (though selling in post quake Christchurch is no joke...). We are hoping to be there early next year. We love Noosa and have visited several times but we'd never actually considered living there as we just thought of it as a holiday place and that Brisbane was where all the work was (hubby works in Finance).

We have however been thinking more and more about Noosa and what a great place it would be to bring up kids etc - we're just not sure how realistic it would be. Does anyone on here have any experience of living in Noosa? What is the work situation? House prices look pretty similar to where we live now and actually seem very reasonable. I'm just not sure about schooling. Does anyone know anything about good State schools (both primary and High schools)?

Sorry to ask so many questions! If anybody could help at all, I'd be most grateful! Thanks

Holiday destination for many Victorians during school holidays. There is a population who live there, I love it but not for living.

Think with children need the big smoke as they grow up unless you want them to move as soon as they can, unis etc are all down in Brisbane.

Personally if I were to live in QLD and it won't happen, Victoria is the only place to live, I would live around Cleveland just south of Brisbane. Like the area a lot. My best friend lives in the area which is also a plus.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Hi. Thanks for that. I don't necessarily agree that being near a city is the be all and end all. Some people love city life, some people love being in the middle of nowhere (I live in NZ so know all about that). I quite like something in between. Kids deciding to go elsewhere for uni doesn't bother me - I did it and would expect my kids to do the same. And having done the drive from Noosa to Brisbane several times I know it isn't a really long way (though I wouldn't want to do it every day for a commute). I'm just not sure if I'm looking at it through holiday goggles or not. Would love to hear from anyone who lives/has lived there. Schooling is really my biggest issue as have a daughter who is in her first year at high school here (the age for starting high school here is the same as it is in QLD) at a really good school and don't want her education to suffer!

And Victoria is the only place you want to live but I doubt everyone would agree! It's good that you love where you live so much though - I felt like that about where I live once upon a time!

Hi. Thanks for that. I don't necessarily agree that being near a city is the be all and end all. Some people love city life, some people love being in the middle of nowhere (I live in NZ so know all about that). I quite like something in between. Kids deciding to go elsewhere for uni doesn't bother me - I did it and would expect my kids to do the same. And having done the drive from Noosa to Brisbane several times I know it isn't a really long way (though I wouldn't want to do it every day for a commute). I'm just not sure if I'm looking at it through holiday goggles or not. Would love to hear from anyone who lives/has lived there. Schooling is really my biggest issue as have a daughter who is in her first year at high school here (the age for starting high school here is the same as it is in QLD) at a really good school and don't want her education to suffer!

And Victoria is the only place you want to live but I doubt everyone would agree! It's good that you love where you live so much though - I felt like that about where I live once upon a time!

There are lots of people who live around and about Noosa, the only thing I have about Noosa is that its a magnet for retirees of course like most of Queensland and especially the small places away from the big smoke. Also that you have so many blow ins all the time on holiday, if that is not a problem then go for it.

I have lived in Victoria for over thirty years now so quite comfortable. I lived in the tropics as a child so know what I am not missing, humidity, heat, bugs, and all that goes with tropics. My parents lived in the Kimberly and at Tully.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Noosa, lovely to visit for a day or a weekend but very costly to live there, we feel overpriced and becoming very commercial! but that is only our personal opinion.

www.auspitality.com.au Accredited **** AAA Tourism Awards - Luxury fully air-conditioned Studio Apartment, located central to Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and Brisbane -Bayside - Members of QTIC

There are lots of people who live around and about Noosa, the only thing I have about Noosa is that its a magnet for retirees of course like most of Queensland and especially the small places away from the big smoke. Also that you have so many blow ins all the time on holiday, if that is not a problem then go for it.

I have lived in Victoria for over thirty years now so quite comfortable. I lived in the tropics as a child so know what I am not missing, humidity, heat, bugs, and all that goes with tropics. My parents lived in the Kimberly and at Tully.

Yes, and I bet plenty of people who live in sub tropical Noosa would have the same misgivings about living in Tully or the Kimberly in the tropics. Almost the same distance from Tully to Noosa as Noosa to Melbourne so while both may have summer humidity the relativity and weather overall is very different. People from North Qld think SEQ is freezing most of the time, let alone living in the fridge that is Melbourne :)

Guest Dracona

As someone who lived on the Sunshine Coast for 20yrs.....

Noosa is great for tourists and retired folks. As for families it's not good. Perhaps a lil further south and Coolum/Mudjimba area or even Marooochydore (my favourite place of all) might be an idea. In fact M'dore is about to have a town upgrade now the golf club is sold (my dad lives right near it). M'dore is also a higher population town so more chance of work. But the SCoast isn't too great for work overall.

I brought my daughter up in Maroochydore, so I am biased, but for people who live on the S Coast, Noosa is only ever for the tourists, retired people, or very rich folk.

Guest UKKiwi

Hi there, such a coincidence reading your thread, we have been in NZ for 13 years, originally from the UK and are planning on moving to Noosa in January. My hubby is also in finance!! We have 2 sons aged 11 and 8 and have been across to the Sunshine Coast a couple of times this year to have a look around. Our last trip we looked specifically at Noosa as a place to live and looked at 3 of the local primary schools. We thought they were all pretty good and also thought that Noosa, or the surrounding area would be a great to place to move with our family. We have decided to give it a go, it seems to have everything we could possibly want. Are you still looking to head across?

We still love Noosa but have decided that workwise, it isn't best for us (at the moment) so we are moving to Brisbane instead - in 3 weeks!! We'll be in North Brisbane so only an hour or so away. We do actually have friends in Noosa so will be visitors there and will keep an eye on things - we may change our minds, I guess! Will be really interested to hear how you get on there with work and everything. When do you plan to move? Where in NZ are you?

Work??????? If you don't have work, what's the point. Noosa is all hospitality and short on most else. Live nearer the work and visit Noosa if it floats your boat. Personally, my experience is that if you ain't there before 8am, then you'd be lucky to find a parking space.

PS I love the place but go to visit before 7am.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

yep parking is a problem. That's the beauty of having friends there - if we're nice to them they might let us park in their driveway!

yep parking is a problem. That's the beauty of having friends there - if we're nice to them they might let us park in their driveway!

That's Ok if they live near the beach or your place of work. Believe me, and I'll take some stick for this but I'll say it anyway................Noosa is all "front"..............scratch the surface of those who were there long before it became "des res" and you'll find unemployed and social problems amongst those who were there first.

It looks idyllic, but you can see the whole shebang in a couple of hours...............end of.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

That's Ok if they live near the beach or your place of work. Believe me, and I'll take some stick for this but I'll say it anyway................Noosa is all "front"..............scratch the surface of those who were there long before it became "des res" and you'll find unemployed and social problems amongst those who were there first.

It looks idyllic, but you can see the whole shebang in a couple of hours...............end of.

It is only a small town...though with things to see/do I think it depends whether you are just talking about Noosa Heads beach and Hastings street or the area as a whole.

You can apply that to anywhere. I live in a small seaside village - beautiful beaches, a few cafes. Lots of weekend visitors who no doubt make similar comments when they head back to wherever they live. It depends what you're looking for - a nice house, beautiful beaches, good community and happy kids is what we wanted and that is what we got. It all got ruined by the quakes sadly and are now moving on. We'd decided against Noosa anyway for work reasons, but I've no doubt we would have been fine there if we'd gone. My friend who lives there is very happy as are her friends. I'm very aware that paradise doesn't exist!!

Guest UKKiwi

Hi, we are heading across on 10 Jan. Currenty in North Shore, Auckland. Good luck with your move. Would also like to know how you get on, where in North Brisbane are you planning to go?

Hi. We nearly moved up there earlier this year - we loved Devonport/Takapuna etc but the house prices!!!!! In the end, we decided that if we going to move, we might as well go the whole hog and move to the (sub) tropics. Nice up there though...

We're looking either North Lakes or Redcliffe/Scarborough. We have a holiday rental near Redcliffe for the first couple of weeks so we'll have a much better idea by the time we're finished there. Packers come 2 weeks tomorrow! Can't believe it! Are you excited?? We'll miss NZ though...

Guest UKKiwi

Hi, wow only 2 weeks to go, how exciting, at least you will be there a few weeks to get settled before school starts. We were also looking at the Redcliffe area and west Brisbane. We went to Redcliffe while we were across on holiday in May and thought it had a really nice feel to it, very pretty and the people we met were lovely. We sold our house last Thursday and decided then we have to narrow the potential areas down and thought we will give the Sunshine Coast a go, rent there initially and if we can't get work then head down to Brisbane.

I feel the same as you - very excited, but will also miss NZ, we have loved living here but felt if we were going to make the move we should do it now before my oldest son starts high school (and before we loose the confidence to do it :wacko:).

I am just in the process of getting shipping quotes - do you have any recommendations of shipping companies?

We're using Crown - not sure about recommendations. Have just heard that they've messed around with our shipping dates. We're taking a 40ft and it's about $13,500. A 20ft would have been about $9,000. Seems to take around the same time and money for a short trip across the ditch as it did from the UK which is odd - or maybe prices have gone up a lot since leaving the UK!!

Lucky you made the move before your eldest started high school. I have a 14 year old who isn't too impressed about us doing this!!