You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sunshine111

6 wk update....

6wks, hard to believe! seems like we have been here longer. Once we made our decision to return to Uk, I think I was on PomsinOz most days, 2nd guessing our move. Was it the right thing.....? such a contrast as now I don't really have the time!! but I did pledge that I would make an effort to try & update where I could, just because

I really nooo how hard a decision it seems to be on an emotional level.

I have a friend returning home & hearing her talk about it, reminds me of the emotional rollercoaster we went though....

I have read many times, it can take up to 18 months to settle, due to the reverse cultural shock - I think it depends - amongst other things,....

Why do you want to return to UK from Oz? what is missing from your life? can it be fixed (change of job/move house etc... we had homesickness on & off over the last 10 yrs!) Do you feel you gave Oz enough of a go? (this one is important) Where you move back to? Why you left in the first place? what your expectations are? what connections you have in UK - how good you get on with family & friends? what your plans are for when you get back? Where do you see yourself in the UK in 2 yrs, 5 yrs etc.... If there is something you are going back to in the UK that you are concerned about, how you are going to manage that. Whether it be the weather or certain family members etc!! ha!

For us, we exhausted all questions & just felt although 10 yrs away has been a fantastic experience but it boiled down to where our future lay. Forget riots, crap weather, recession, doom, gloom etc. It comes down to where we belong. I had such a sense of fear about what we were going back to but..... love the village we have moved to, real sense of community people are friendly, my eldest is settling into school really well, great school. Weekends are filled with so much, whether it be seeing people or going out & seeming something new for the day. You forget how accessible places are, Perth seemed sooo spread out. Have had one flat day but then I think that was more a case of it all catching up with us.

Probably wouldn't settle a house & flying out same day (added more stress than was needed!) or arriving at the begining of the August summer holidays & moving to a new area when you got school kids but on the whole I think coming back in the summer has helped us settle better. Know we have winter coming but summer has been a nice transition not so much of a shock to the system, we hope!

Also, our son is 5 yrs & only in school 2 days a week, so hasn't seemed like such a wrench, however I think you underestimate how resilent kids are. Is going to take time for them to get to know family especially our oldest but has amazed me how the bond is there. Not been all plane sailing with certain family members but I think it is going to take time & hasn't affected how we feel about being back.

Since being back, for us, I can honestly say our quality of life has increased across a number of areas, mainly the parts that unfortunately seemed to be missing in Oz, but then to be fair, I think that came about because of where we were at this time in our lives. If you had told me 2-3 yrs ago, I'd be returning to the UK, I would have said that there was no way that was going to happen!..

Funny how things turn out.... One thing I can say is.... that although early days, we are still enjoying being back & having a new appreciation. Also enjoyed our time living in Nz & Oz over the last 10 yrs but home is where the heart is. :)

Great post and some interesting thought-provoking questions.

Enjoy being home.

Thank you so much for the update, there are a few people out there who are wondering if they should return and seeing such a positive post will help them tremendously, so thank you for taking the time to come on and let everyone know how it went. It would be great if you can stick around and advise others who may decide OZ isn't for them.

Kate x

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Although you have had a decent summer so far....are you prepared for this winter coming:elvis: they reckon we are going to get as much snow and sub-zero temps as last Xmas.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Thank you so much for the update, there are a few people out there who are wondering if they should return and seeing such a positive post will help them tremendously, so thank you for taking the time to come on and let everyone know how it went. It would be great if you can stick around and advise others who may decide OZ isn't for them.

Kate x

Thanks Kate! I really feel for anyone making the decision, it really spun my head out! although now I have time to reflect, I think for us it wasn't quite as big as we thought & was about fear. I think it is true in what they say, "trust your gut feeling" take care x

Although you have had a decent summer so far....are you prepared for this winter coming:elvis: they reckon we are going to get as much snow and sub-zero temps as last Xmas.

Perthbum, are you in Perth or Uk? I am not sure anything can prepare you for severe temperatures! although all you can do is try & know its coming!! I spent the first 25 yrs of my life living in it, & did alright! We were out today & bought my son a super large deer-skin imitation hat... tho' I am not sure if we are going over the top, because am also looking out for thermals.I am sure when we are walking down the road in our village, we will probably standout like a sore thumb for being a bit over the top, but I'm not taking any chances! ha! ha

Least you can wrap up, the one thing I struggled with about Perth was the endless 40c heat, for weeks (sometimes months) on end. Sometimes it would make me feel quite nauseas & I felt uncomfortable letting the kids play out in it, slapping them in suncream

every day & trying to get them to keep in the shade, whilst not touching any of the metal play equipment, at the local park, for fear of 3rd degree burns (am only joking! but still, was a shocking heat) and all before 11.00am in the morning!! we also spent alot of time inside at home and not wanting to travel too far, because of the car overheating!

Then there was years worth of rain in one month!

Though completely understand that subzero temperatures will come with they're own challenges but lets be honest, UK is geared up with lots of attractions indoors... museums etc!

Nowhere is perfect I guess.... Least this Christmas for us, is going to be a contrast

from last year and many previous,with the build up towards it, the traditions & spending the time with family..... but when I post again once we are slap back in the middle of it, I will let you know!

Perthbum, are you in Perth or Uk? I am not sure anything can prepare you for severe temperatures! although all you can do is try & know its coming!! I spent the first 25 yrs of my life living in it, & did alright! We were out today & bought my son a super large deer-skin imitation hat... tho' I am not sure if we are going over the top, because am also looking out for thermals.I am sure when we are walking down the road in our village, we will probably standout like a sore thumb for being a bit over the top, but I'm not taking any chances! ha! ha

Least you can wrap up, the one thing I struggled with about Perth was the endless 40c heat, for weeks (sometimes months) on end. Sometimes it would make me feel quite nauseas & I felt uncomfortable letting the kids play out in it, slapping them in suncream

every day & trying to get them to keep in the shade, whilst not touching any of the metal play equipment, at the local park, for fear of 3rd degree burns (am only joking! but still, was a shocking heat) and all before 11.00am in the morning!! we also spent alot of time inside at home and not wanting to travel too far, because of the car overheating!

Though completely understand that subzero temperatures will come with they're own challenges but lets be honest, UK is geared up with lots of attractions indoors... museums etc!

Nowhere is perfect I guess.... Least this Christmas for us, is going to be a contrast

from last year and many previous,with the build up towards it, the traditions & spending the time with family..... but when I post again once we are slap back in the middle of it, I will let you know!

The heat in Perth during the summer can be a killer, last year was particularly hot, I'm already dreading this summer coming.

Don't know which is worse, extreme heat or extreme cold.

One positive to come out of the winter though was the number of kids outside playing in the snow, it only takes a few mins on a sledge to warm up and any slopes were full of kids on anything, bin lids, sheets of wood etc etc :cute:

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Hy guys no this is a bit random. Bt how did u sel most of the household gear ,,washers,sofas etc before u left ,,,gumtree,eBay,trading post or a house clearance company ,,,thanks for any help,,,Cheryl