State sponsorship and assets

Guest thewhitehouse

Guest thewhitehouse

My first thread so bear with me, I struggle with all the abbreviations on the site but am trying to learn them slowly so if you are kind enough to reply would you treat me like a dimwit and spell the answer out!

We're about to apply for ACT (I know that one lol) state sponosrship and have now been told that they need to see evidence of the money for applicant and dependents in a bank account. This is the first I've heard of it. We have about £65k equity in our property and nothing else. Obviously this will fund our move but I am not prepared to sell the property before a visa has been approved as that would just be silly. Anyone else come up against this hurdle and how did you jump it??!! Thanks

Hi,

My wife and I are kinda at the same stage as you at the moment. I agree, its a chicken and eggs situation, which one do you do first. The main aim of this particular criteria set out by the ACT gov (you do know what ACT is right!!!... just kidding) is for you to explain to them how you will support yourself and your family while in OZ. They also, most importantly want to know if you planning on selling your house, how are you going to support your family in OZ IF YOU CAN'T SELL THE HOUSE!!!!! Thats important. Therefore they would rather see your £65k "equity" in cash in a bank account somewhere than take your word that you will have £65k when your visa is sorted. At the end of the day they don't want you coming over to OZ and putting strain on gov funds, eventhough you are not entitled to them. I've spoken to quite a few people and you would find it hard to secure a State Sponsored (SS) visa if you dont have hard cash in a bank account. Just imagin all the stories the authorities will have to listen to when people try explaining how the going to fund their initial stay in Oz. This way, all they need are bank stats from all applicants, simple'z!! Hope this helps

Guest thewhitehouse

I find it a strange stance for ACT to take all that considered. I wouldn't be emigrating without my house being sold, end of, because we would not have the money to support us finding our feet. Surely that should be a positive as I'm not prepared to land in the country with very little money. As you have to have $20,000 plus $10,000 per dependent I don't have $40,000 lolling about in a bank account (I wish!) surely not everyone who emigrates does??? The fact I have paid an agent and am paying all the other fees to emigrate, to me, demonstrates a high level of commitment. I'm really gutted that this could ruin everything, like I say I've paid an agent, paid Vetassess and paid for and sat IELTS.

You will be surprised to see how many people go to Oz without any money. I have paid for all that you have mentioned too, and come to the stage where jumping through one more hoop won't kill me. ACT does offer you a "waiver" which allows you to explain to them your situation regarding the lack of "cash" and also for you to explain how you intend to fund your stay in Oz. I'm sure you can appreciate that a bank statement proving £65k hold more weight than just your word and explanation!!!!

Unfortunately ACT is really sticky about funds. My close friend applied but all of their money was in their property too and unfortunately they were declined. They are now applying for state sponsorship to South

Australia as they are not as strict about funds. Really disappointing for them.

Keglin

Keglin, just a quick question. What do you think about our situation regarding funds bearing in mind what happened to your friends. My wife and I are about to apply to ACT, we have £16000 in cash saving and A$82k (equity in property currently on the market). What do you think??

My first thread so bear with me, I struggle with all the abbreviations on the site but am trying to learn them slowly so if you are kind enough to reply would you treat me like a dimwit and spell the answer out!

We're about to apply for ACT (I know that one lol) state sponosrship and have now been told that they need to see evidence of the money for applicant and dependents in a bank account. This is the first I've heard of it. We have about £65k equity in our property and nothing else. Obviously this will fund our move but I am not prepared to sell the property before a visa has been approved as that would just be silly. Anyone else come up against this hurdle and how did you jump it??!! Thanks

Hi Whitehouse

We actually sold our house before our visa was approved but when we went for our state sponsorship the house hadnt sold at that time. We had to show we had $40,000 in our bank account plus we all showed if we didnt sell our house how we could support ourselves for the first 6 months. To be honest being in the ACT now I can see why the government want you to show you have the funds. It cost us $40,000 to set ourselves up here initially - flights, short term accomodation, rental bonds, 2 cars, school fees, insurances, shipment of furniture (half a container) plus buying new furniture we didnt bring (and we bought them in the sale), plus living expenses and we havent been spending a fortune on entertaining either. The OH was out of work for 6 weeks which dips into the savings and also I have been out of work aswell. So for our own sake it was better we had cash behind us. We took a big risk selling our house aswell but luckily it worked in our favour but we were going to sell anyway because of the ever decreasing house prices in Ireland. Had we left it any longer we would have had little or no equity to bring with us. I guess to point out that when you get your visa you have 12 months to validate and then another 4 years to move here which means you can focus on getting up the cash. Its finding the first bit of cash to show you have this in your bank account for at least 3 months.

Suzanne

I never knew that you have 4 years in which to move to Canberra???? I knew you had to validate you visa within 12 months but didn't now about the 4 years, is this true??????

sorry my mistake - you have to validate within 12 months and to ensure that you are ok to go ahead for citizenship you must have resided in Australia for 2 years within the first five years of your visa being issues. If you got your visa today you would have to validate 12 months from the time of your medicals so say that was 1 Sept 2011 - you have until 1 sept 2012 to validate and you must reside in Oz for two years up until 20th Sept 2016 so realistically be here in 2014. Does that make sense?? Even sounds confusing to me as I write it :)

As others have pointed out you do need to show you have money in an account ready and waiting. The wife and I were lucky in that we had money available that we transferred to an account not long before we applied to ACT. We had to show statements a couple months later to prove it was still there as well. ACT don't mind where the money is from just as long as it's in an account with your name on it so effectively you could apply for a bank/family loan of that amount, let it sit in account till you get SS and then pay it back.

The only caveat of course is that as surhythms has said you'll probably want some money on standby anyway for the move in case things with selling the house doesn't go to plan.

As others have pointed out you do need to show you have money in an account ready and waiting. The wife and I were lucky in that we had money available that we transferred to an account not long before we applied to ACT. We had to show statements a couple months later to prove it was still there as well. When we spoke to someone from the team who process SS for ACT they said they don't mind where the money is from just as long as it's in an account with your name on it so effectively you could apply for a bank/family loan of that amount, let it sit in account till you get SS and then pay it back.

The only caveat of course is that as surhythms has said you'll probably want some money on standby anyway for the move in case things with selling the house don't go to plan.

are you saying that after you have applied for your SS, a couple of months later they wanted to see prrof of the funds AGAIN????

Yes as you need to prove they've been there for 3 months iirc and at the time we supplied evidence when we applied they'd been there for a couple weeks. So when they came to processing our application they wanted further proof they'd been there for the 3 months.

I know about the "3 months story". Therefore, our money has only been in our account since 22 August so we will be applying in December (3 months) to proof 3 months bank statement! Good idea, bad idea??????

I know about the "3 months story". Therefore, our money has only been in our account since 22 August so we will be applying in December (3 months) to proof 3 months bank statement! Good idea, bad idea??????

Hard to say to be honest if you're planning to just leave it there anyway you could just apply this/next month and just provide further evidence when they ask for it. Our application took just about 3 months to go through though I'm not sure what their processing times are like at the moment.

I think processing times are about the same these days by the looks of things. I was thinking about applying first week in Dec as I heard firstly that the SMP List will be updated and secondly the whole appl process will be changed to a NZ style "request of interest" or something like that. How long did it take for your SS to be approved??

I think processing times are about the same these days by the looks of things. I was thinking about applying first week in Dec as I heard firstly that the SMP List will be updated and secondly the whole appl process will be changed to a NZ style "request of interest" or something like that. How long did it take for your SS to be approved??

Exactly three months :)

ok, then after SS, you applied DIAC right? Any hickups during your SS process??

We didn't apply to DIAC after SS was received as we already had an application in on a 176 Family Sponsored visa which we submitted in 2009. As we were pre-2010 we were then allowed to change ours to a 176 SS visa. As for hiccups with the SS process we didn't have any other than having issues getting a bank statement from ANZ.

did you have to proof that you researched the job market and property market??? If so, what evidence did you supply??

Indeed so what the wife did (as she was the applicant) was save and provide links to jobs found on the various job sites (e.g. http://mycareer.com.au/) and also providing them with a current CV. I don't think she supplied much else with regards to jobs. Here's a quote on this I posted a while back.

I just asked the missus what she put on her application (as she's the applicant) and she said that her list had roughly 13 or so on it and that she listed the weblink to the ad with the job title.

HTH

We also had to prove that we knew the current cost of living in Canberra as well showing that we had researched the type of life and environment and why we wanted to move there rather than anywhere else in Oz. In our case why Canberra and not Perth given the wife had family there. So we contact some friends who live in Canberra and got some details from them about cost of living and then as far as the rest we just read up on details from various sites on Canberra and went from there.

HTH

Sounds about the same as what I'm doing regarding jobs. Only thing is I'm afraid to provide links just in case the ads are removed and by the time DIAC try and assess the links provided, they no longer exsist. What I did was take screen shots of all ads I come across and printed them out, I'll stick that onto my appl!! Thanx for the chat mate, lets keep in touch as we too will be in ACT soon.....hopefully!! drop me you email addy?

Sounds about the same as what I'm doing regarding jobs. Only thing is I'm afraid to provide links just in case the ads are removed and by the time DIAC try and assess the links provided, they no longer exsist. What I did was take screen shots of all ads I come across and printed them out, I'll stick that onto my appl!! Thanx for the chat mate, lets keep in touch as we too will be in ACT soon.....hopefully!! drop me you email addy?

Screenshots sounds like a good idea :) and glad I could help. Will PM email address.

Hi again,

I would think you actually have a much better chance than them, unfortunately they had very little cash probably under £5000. I would just go for it.

Keglin

Keglin, just a quick question. What do you think about our situation regarding funds bearing in mind what happened to your friends. My wife and I are about to apply to ACT, we have £16000 in cash saving and A$82k (equity in property currently on the market). What do you think??