You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest chezzle

Whats the construction work like in Brisbane ie; carpentry, house building etc..

Guest chezzle

My husbands a carpenter and has his own timber frame housing business for 12 yrs here in Ireland. Whats the chance of him getting started out there?

Hi

I think it depends if he wants to jump straight to where he left off,, and also what area of Queensland you move to.

Things can be quite different here and first he will need to check his all the correct qualifications to work here. Some UK qualifications arent recoginsed and he may also have to get certain QLD licences. I personally would try and get on with a company for a little while until he knows whats what and take it from there.

Lots and lots of luck with everything

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

I have a friend who is a carpenter, who came over from Ireland, below is an extract from his e-mail...

Im living in Melbourne got to brisbane found it hard to get work got a job here so i moved its all going well so far so good.

Hope that helps.....

I am also in the building trade and from Ireland, i have two friends in Brisbane and they have informed me that there is loads of work there, i am thinking about heading out there myself in Jan.

Guest KathyMac

Hi my husband has been there for 1 week and haven't found a job yet. We don't really know how to look for one beside courier mail and some Internet side like career one, seek but saw very few ads. My husband said he called the numbers from the ads but always got to voicemail so far. It s not the 1 week but the few ads that worry me. Anyone can help on how to find a job for a qualified builder in Brisbane or have any contact in the trade please? Where do they advertise all these jobs? Thanks.

Dont just rely on job ad's ,, approach companys in person instead and ask if they any work. You should be able to get a list of companys from the white pages on line.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

My husbands a carpenter and has his own timber frame housing business for 12 yrs here in Ireland. Whats the chance of him getting started out there?

Hi,construction work in Queensland is at a all time low.The houseing market has collasped.They are saying that 150,000 construction workers will be laid off this year.My neighbour works for a big constuction company and only works 3 days a week.

Australia could find it's self in a bit of trouble,as the economy relies entirely on the resorces boom(mining) China buys the bulk of Australia's resorces. China has already reduced it's intake.It has been reported that Mongolia China's neighbour has discovered huge deposits of Coal,Iron Ore , and other metals.That is the worst news for Australia.Don't know what the news is in other parts of Aus,they say Western Australia is the place to go.Good luck Zack.

Think i will stay in the UK. not much going on in oz unless i was a doctor, dentist or nurse. Nothing much going on in construction in oz or nz it seems like.

Send the oz weather to the uk, because thats all people seem to be emigrating for. Better weather. No wonder so many come back to the UK when they find how hard it is to get a job, and realise how expensive Australia is. Long live the queen England by far. Ha ha ha. lol