Sign in to follow this  
Guest Queryguy

Extra baggage on a 309 visa?

Guest Queryguy

Hi there, was hoping someone could help -

Im going to be travelling to Australia with Singapore airlines who I know offer extra baggage allowance for people who are travelling to live in Australia permanently. I currently have a 309 visa ... which strictly speaking is a temporary visa for 2 years, so will this make a difference? ... I dont want to be stuck with a £800 bill for an extra bag at the airport.

Cheers!

If its a temp visa then no, you are not eligible for the excess. Its for people on a permanent visa which is unvalidated.

You get the usual 23kg or so.

I'd look into shipping it air freight or some such if its just a few small boxes.

Agree with snifter, they won't give you extra baggage on a 309 visa.. Sorry :wubclub:

If you have already booked the ticket, is worth a call to their call centre see what they'll offer you for goodwill (usually 5-10kgs extra for free).

Guest Queryguy

Thanks for the info guys, I gave Singapore Airlines a call and they advised that I wouldn’t be offered the 20kg additional baggage. Seems a little daft since theoretically I shouldn’t be returning to the UK after 2 years and miss out because my temporary visa is temporary! :wacko:

But … since they are such a great company they allowed me an extra 5kg for my troubles.

Hope this is useful for anyone else on a 309 visa in future.