Anyone find decent short term accomm??

Guest Kate10

Hi guys,

Having terrible trouble finding halfway decent short term accomm in Perth! We think we will be there from around 1st November and need somewhere for at least 4 weeks. I can't believe some of the dumps out there that people are looking for crazy money for. We're expecting a baby on 4th December so move is extra scary and looking at all the horrible run down places is killing the excitement of the move a bit!

We would be happy to pay €3k for 4 weeks or could stretch to maybe €3.5k if necessary. Could be an apartment or a house, had to have air con as we have 2 year old (who is used to Galway weather!) and access to a pool would be great. Very flexible about location. Not looking for luxury but clean bright and modern (decorated more recently than the 80's would help!!!) One bedroom would be fine.

Am I kidding myself with my budget?

Thanks guys!

Kate.

Thanks so much Steven and Mandi for posting - really appreciate you taking the time.

Mandi I had a look at Tracy's website and it looks like she has a good few nice places so that's great! I sent her an email this evening so fingers crossed!

You guys are heading over in January? Are you nervous? Do you know where you want to go?

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi,

We are struggling to get somewhere as well. I think we definitely left it a bit late as we are also looking at arriving in Perth at the start of November (2nd).

We are trying to find somewhere in the north, as we have friends there and loved it when we visited but short term lets cost a bomb!!.

If it was just me and my wife we wouldn't worry, but we have two kids so fingers crossed.

Hope it works out for you!

Chris

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did have a look at the perthpoms website but any accomm avail posts seemed quite old? I must look again today and post a request and see what happens! Will also check out wotif this morning.

Chris ye are heading over on the 2nd? Do you have any idea what part of Perth you want to settle in? Do you have kids? We have one little girl. We are thinking of the Northern Suburbs but really don't have a clue so its a little bit a case of pinning the tail on the donkey!

Kate.

Guest mandi1971
Thanks so much Steven and Mandi for posting - really appreciate you taking the time.

Mandi I had a look at Tracy's website and it looks like she has a good few nice places so that's great! I sent her an email this evening so fingers crossed!

You guys are heading over in January? Are you nervous? Do you know where you want to go?

Hi Kate

Tracey is great so im sure she will sort you out.

I haven't really a clue where to go yet but im leaning more towards the North. Im just going to book a holiday home and take 3-4 weeks to look around and see what we think as we've never been before :wacko:

And yes im nervous, excited, scared, lol, its a huge move but im sure it'll be a good one x

Wow and you're heading over so close to having you're baby? you must be feeling all the above too xx

Yep all of the above!! Have heard great things about maternity services in Australia though so am staying positive! If it was my first I think I would be terrified!

JoeandJon haven't tried parks for cabins or anything ..didn't realise that was an option! Will have a google now ..

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi Kate,

Yeah we leave on the 1st, get there on the second (yay!). We have managed to secure a short term let in Quinns rocks for 3 weeks, Louise my better half sorted it out last night while I was in work so I haven't got a clue what its like, but happy days. We booked the flights last night as well with Singapore Airlines, who we flew with last time and fair play they were excellent.

We will be looking to rent in one the Northern suburbs, as when we visited we had a good look around and there really are some nice places within our budget. Also we have friends in Butler which helps! It was easy enough to get into the city whether by train or car and the beaches are stunning.

As we have 10 month old and 5 year old girls, that played a big part in the decision ,and the schools and area just seemed right for families with plenty of space for the kids to run free.

Have you managed to secure anything yet?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I just booked an apartment in the city centre for a few weeks! Was a bit more than we wanted to pay but it was very nice, price was somewhat reasonable at least, and discounted, and it was the last one so I grabbed it. We haven't booked flights yet. We were planning to wait until January before going but just in the last week it seems to make a lot more sense to go now ... we're just frantically running around finding things out and arranging things before we make the final plunge and book the flights.

Do you guys have work sorted out yet? My husband has been talking to a number of recruiters and he has had very positive feedback but nothing concrete yet.

Kate.

Guest Chris n Lou

Hi Kate,

Good news that you have got somewhere to stay!,

I think you just have to grab what's there really and take the price on the chin as we have certainly left it late. I don't have a job yet, but a lot of the recruiters have replied to say that the positions are for immediate start, and it seems like you have to be there anyway face to face to get the work on offer.

What does your husband do? I am an Aircraft fitter, but I have been looking at mechanical and hydraulic fitting jobs and have had a few saying to call when I arrive. Seems to be plenty of trade jobs available.

A few people have said that it goes a bit quiet after Christmas on the recruitment side so I wanted to get in early and try and secure something, be it contract or permanent.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's interesting to hear about January and makes me feel happier about our decision to go.

My husband is a civil engineer and most of his experience is in big road projects like motorways etc. It's a bit tricky because a lot of the demand in WA seems to be mining related and while he would have experience with heavy industry infrastructure its not mining exactly .... We are getting a different message, that contract jobs are immediate start but that consultancies take months and months to make a recruitment decision. That has certainly been our experience because some big consultancies have been holding his CV for at least 6-8 weeks with no feedback except to say he made shortlist. All very different from here during the Irish boom!

I won't be working for a good while over there because of pregnancy and prob would have to re-qualify anyway (solicitor).

Good to hear that we're not the only ones going out there jobless!

Kate.

Hi Kate

Tracey is great so im sure she will sort you out.

I haven't really a clue where to go yet but im leaning more towards the North. Im just going to book a holiday home and take 3-4 weeks to look around and see what we think as we've never been before :wacko:

And yes im nervous, excited, scared, lol, its a huge move but im sure it'll be a good one x

Wow and you're heading over so close to having you're baby? you must be feeling all the above too xx

Thanks for your kind comments Mandi, we really do try to help as we know ourselves how hard it is to secure property from overseas.:hug:

Tracey

http://www.ozhouserental.com

Hi guys,

Having terrible trouble finding halfway decent short term accomm in Perth! We think we will be there from around 1st November and need somewhere for at least 4 weeks. I can't believe some of the dumps out there that people are looking for crazy money for. We're expecting a baby on 4th December so move is extra scary and looking at all the horrible run down places is killing the excitement of the move a bit!

We would be happy to pay €3k for 4 weeks or could stretch to maybe €3.5k if necessary. Could be an apartment or a house, had to have air con as we have 2 year old (who is used to Galway weather!) and access to a pool would be great. Very flexible about location. Not looking for luxury but clean bright and modern (decorated more recently than the 80's would help!!!) One bedroom would be fine.

Thanks guys!

Kate.

We felt the same but we finally found something on this website http://www.aussiemove.com/

Hope it helps and good luck with the move/baby...exciting times ahead x

Guest mandi1971

We have just been in touch with a lady at Raine and Horne and she is sorting us a shorth term holiday let and helping us find a long term rental. You should give her a try.

She has great deals on 3-6 month rentals from 350 a week, 1-2 weeks ones get a bit more expensive but no more than than the average hotel etc.

Lots of luck x

Guest ConfusedPoms!
Hi guys,

Thanks guys!

Kate.

Hi Kate,

In case you haven't found anything yet......

We had the same proble when we were looking from the UK, run down and expensive!! In the end I used aussiemove.com, aimed at migrants. We are staying at 'Fifty seven' in Yokine. It has been fantastic!!! 2 beds, modern, very secure, access to small pool, park next door, internet, foxtel. We have been in this property for 3 weeks and have one more week left, during that time we have managed to secure a long term rental.

It has been perfect for us, 10 mins to the city on the bus (Bus stop over the road) and 15 mins drive to beach, 20 mins to Joondalup (Big shopping centre) I suppose it depends what you are looking for but I would definately reccommend the website! Good luck x

Thanks very much ConfusedPoms! (great name!) We did try Aussimove but couldn't find anything suitable for our dates.

Just want to say thank you to everyone who recommended Tracey from http://www.ozhouserental.com Our first arrangement feel through but it looks like Tracey has found us a great house for us for a very good price. I had just about given up hope of finding anywhere remotely pleasant to live in while we find our way around Perth. It was pretty depressing actually, thinking that we would have to live in either a dump or a shoebox and pay mad rents for our first couple of months. Not really how I was hoping to start our new lives!!

Anyway Tracy has been fab. The house she found us was not on her website as it was a newly available rental. She is available on live chat on her website which I think is great. She responds very quickly and contacts me every time she says she will. She is also really nice and is quick to answer any questions I have about Perth.

Thanks again guys and best of luck to anyone who is still looking!

Kate.

• 2 weeks later...