Houses in the UK are shoe boxes

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Many new houses in the UK are "shameful shoebox homes" which are too small for family life, the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has said.

It says average three-bedroom houses are 8% smaller - the space of a single bedroom - than the recommended minimum.

The institute, which looked at 3,418 three-bedroom homes in England, based its findings on building regulations which have come into force in London.

The House Builders Federation says that bigger homes could prove unaffordable.

RIBA's Case for Space study discovered the average two-storey three-bedroom home for five people was 8 sq m (86 sq ft) too small.

It claims the shortfall in space is the same size as a single bedroom with a bedside table, wardrobe, desk and chair.

The most common new three-bedroom house was also found to be only 77% of the recommended minimum - the space equivalent to two double bedrooms.

Shameful shoebox homes are being churned out all over the country, depriving households of the space they need to live comfortably”

RIBA chief executive Harry Rich

The institute's research was based on the 96 sq m (1033 sq ft) London Plan space standards which have just been introduced in the capital. There are currently no UK-wide standards.

'Cramped life'

RIBA chief executive Harry Rich said new houses were causing some people to endure a lower quality of life.

"Our homes should be places that enhance our lives and well-being," he said.

"However, as our new research confirms, thousands of cramped houses - shameful shoe box homes - are being churned out all over the country, depriving households of the space they need to live comfortably and cohesively."

The institute wants consumers to get better information from estate agents and house builders.

For example, it is calling for floor area to be included in marketing material and floor plans to include furniture, so that people can get a clearer idea of the size of a property.

The Home Builders Federation however, said that if new homes were built bigger, some people would be priced out the market.

"If you increase standards you're going to increase costs," said head of planning Andrew Whitaker.

"That's going to mean houses are going to become more expensive and we're already suffering from a lack of affordability for young people and first-time buyers."

Guest guest37336

Though I appreciate wholly that we own a house here Kate, I also appreciate that it could be classed as a 'shoe box'. It's on an estate, very quiet and nice, but all very samey, and I tell you what, whoever built it didn't believe in sound insulation.:no:

No matter where you are in the house you can always here everything in every other room, and with two Herbert's who don't believe in door handles that is a shocker,:biglaugh:.

But having said that, I and Ruth would be perfectly happy in this shoe box:

motor-home.jpg

:jiggy::yes:

Guest guest37336
At least with that you can move if you don't like the neighbours. Bit more difficult in a static home. :arghh:

Very true Tappers,:yes::biglaugh:.

Lived in a static home once on a caravan park in Carnarvon, luckily great people and had my own little front garden that I took immense pride in.:yes:

Only problem was that because it was rent free I had to maintain the area, including the loo's,:shocked::no:, some people shouldn't be let out in public.:policeman::mad:

Cheers Tony.

We build the smallest homes in Europe pretty much. Its shocking. I'd never buy a new build or anything built in the last 30 years or so. Cramped, small to tiny gardens and boxed on top of each other. Even some of the detached 4 bedroom places are smaller than our current house in terms of room size, window size (so so small these days) and even the gardens are getting smaller.

Been saying that for years, so we built our own house !

Trouble is estate agents don't know how to market it as they expect a 4 bed house to have a master bedroom maybe another "double" and 2 singles. All our bedrooms can fit a double bed at least and the ensuite is bigger than our old "developer" boxs' 3rd bedroom.

It's all about profit not what people need unfortunately.

Shoe boxes..sounds a little like the new homes they are now building in Australia...they actually do look like refugee camps from a distance...With miles upon miles of roof to roof houses that all look the same built on flat farmland...miserable with no character...becoming more coomon in oz now..Who wants to live in a house where you can hear what your naighbours are up to at night..