The Pom Queen

Immigrants have children for benefits

The UK's first female Asian peer has used a debate in the Lords to criticise Pakistani and Bangladeshi families for having too many children.

Baroness Flather suggested people in some minority communities had a large number of children in order to be able to claim more benefits.

The peer, born in Lahore before the partition of India, said the issue did not apply to families of Indian origin.The cross-bencher said benefit cuts could help to discourage extra births. Baroness Flather, speaking during a debate on the government's welfare changes, said: "The minority communities in this country, particularly the Pakistanis and the Bangladeshis have a very large number of children and the attraction is the large number of benefits that follow the child. "Nobody likes to accept that, nobody likes to talk about it because it is supposed to be very politically incorrect."

The 67-year-old said that immigrant families must stop having lots of children "as a means of improving the amount of money they receive or getting a bigger house."

Indians 'different'

The former Tory peer also claimed Indian families had a different mentality to Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities in the UK.

"Indians have fallen into the pattern here," she told peers. "They do not have large families because they are like the Jews of old. They want their children to be educated.

"This is the other problem - there is no emphasis on education in the Pakistani and Bangladeshi families."

Baroness Flather called for a gradual reduction in benefits in order to discourage large families and suggested payments should be reduced after a couple's first two children.

She said: "I really feel that for the first two children there should be a full raft of benefits, for the third child three-quarters and for the fourth child a half."

Baroness Flather's comments were not well-received by Labour work and pensions spokesman Lord McKenzie.

Concluding the argument for the opposition, he told the Lords: "I had not expected the treatise on the family sizes of the Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities and hope I don't again."

Welfare reform minister Lord Freud, replying to the debate, did not refer to Lady Flather's comments.

The Welfare Reform Bill is the biggest shake-up of the benefits system for 60 years.

A universal payment to replace income-related work-based benefits, such as child tax credit, is planned, as are stricter rules for people losing their benefits if they refuse a job.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

From what i've seen/read about there's a fair few British people in that category too! Have a baby, get a free house. Have more kids and don't bother going to work, get tonnes of money on the government. :arghh::mad:

Trying to get to Aus since 2008. Finally the end is in sight and we are starting to really plan.

Hubby, Paramedic.

Me, Adult Nursing student starting Sept 2018. 

Guest guest37336

The welfare system in this country is broken, hopefully not 'fatally' though.

As Tappers has said, the system is abused my many different colours and creeds, but in order to get a turn around happening EACH and EVERY case needs to be looked at in detail, and this I fear will be too expensive.

If one big net is used we are going to find those in 'real' need may be caught up in the system with the bludgers,:no:.

Too many people, not enough jobs nor the infrastructure, and to many people prepared to unburden themselves of responsibility and say that the powers that be 'should' look after them.:no:

And this goes for white, black, asian, etc.

Cheers Tony.

Guest stevenw8971

Have you noticed no real fuss about it as it was said by someone from one of the ethic minorities. Tappers is right, there's more than just the pakistanis and bangladeshies at it, in our can work - wont work society.

Guest sh7t man no way

it happens across the board (all people) is it time for the government to restrict parents to a maximum of 3 children--human rights issue there:wideeyed:or to say no benifits will be payed after the 4th child is born--only for the first 3

Guest Guest 47403
From what i've seen/read about there's a fair few British people in that category too! Have a baby, get a free house. Have more kids and don't bother going to work, get tonnes of money on the government. :arghh::mad:

Seems to be a very British trait even the immigrants catch on fast to our farcical benefit system!

Is it China you're only allowed one child? And many used to abort/dump the baby girls at birth because they want the males. I'm guessing to carry on the family name.

Imagine if they tried to bring in a '1 baby' rule over here. Would never happen both in terms of government and the people themselves.

I would NOT like to be told i could only have one child, but we will only have as many as we can afford on our wages.

Trying to get to Aus since 2008. Finally the end is in sight and we are starting to really plan.

Hubby, Paramedic.

Me, Adult Nursing student starting Sept 2018. 

Guest Guest 47403
it happens across the board (all people) is it time for the government to restrict parents to a maximum of 3 children--human rights issue there:wideeyed:or to say no benifits will be payed after the 4th child is born--only for the first 3

Far to radical Al will never happen, how about if both parents are out of work once all children are of school age both parents need to do at least 20 hrs of community work a week to qualify for benefits?

Guest sh7t man no way

Far to radical Al will never happen, how about if both parents are out of work once all children are of school age both parents need to do at least 20 hrs of community work a week to qualify for benefits?
your right baz far 2 radical--but the working in the system to benefit society is a good idea--you could split the rota up if one child wuz still at home:idea:

Guest stevenw8971
your right baz far 2 radical--but the working in the system to benefit society is a good idea--you could split the rota up if one child wuz still at home:idea:

if only, then the govenment could employ another million people to supervise and make sure people turn up, unemployment issue solved:arghh:, and then pay out even more in pensions, oops wrong party in power...

Guest Guest 47403

Good :idea: only takes one parent to look after the kids.

Guest sh7t man no way
if only, then the govenment could employ another million people to supervise and make sure people turn up, unemployment issue solved:arghh:, and then pay out even more in pensions, oops wrong party in power...

sounds like a good idea steven--its got my vote:jiggy:see politics is easy:wink:

The baby bonus here in OZ used to be paid out in a lump sum. Not anymore. Paid in instalements now. Apparently this has had some impact on births.

Guest sh7t man no way

The baby bonus here in OZ used to be paid out in a lump sum. Not anymore. Paid in instalements now. Apparently this has had some impact on births.
its use to be about 5000 dollars,and now its a 100 dollars a week for a year i think sunni--sumthin like that

Guest Guest 47403

Had an impact on births in what way?

less in some areas.

My understanding of one of the reasons this was introduced was to control how the actual money was spent. In some cases money accured from the bonus was used to pay for TV's , car's etc .

Guest sh7t man no way

some use to knock out a baby for the 5000 dollar baby bonus baz--so they could buy a 52 inch plasma tv--with spreading the payments out over the year this may discourage them somewhat--that wuz the idea:wideeyed:dont know if it worked

Guest guest37336
some use to knock out a baby for the 5000 dollar baby bonus baz--so they could buy a 52 inch plasma tv--with spreading the payments out over the year this may discourage them somewhat--that wuz the idea:wideeyed:dont know if it worked

At this moment in time mate, :mad: it would take a LOT more than $5000 to get me to have another child.:no:.

Love em dearly, but at the moment dad is enemy No1 and my name is mud, and all because I said, 'NO'.:no::arghh:

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest 47403
less in some areas.

My understanding of one of the reasons this was introduced was to control how the actual money was spent. In some cases money accured from the bonus was used to pay for TV's , car's etc .

The baby bonus in Oz was introduced to encourage people to have kids as the fertility rate was low due to more women working longer ie into there 30's before having kids because the economy was/is strong. Looks like it's backfired a bit by introducing installments if you say the births have dropped.

Guest Guest 47403

I'd have a baby for a free 52" plasma :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I'll give you a 60" 3D one if you will take my three:wink:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest sh7t man no way

baz girls have babys--boys play football:no:can see we need to have a talk about somethings:wink:

They need to draw a line and say after this date, things will be different. They can't punish people who have already rigged the system as they will be punishing the kids. But they can stop it going forwards.

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Guest Guest 47403
I'll give you a 60" 3D one if you will take my three:wink:

Keep the telly I'll take your three if you take my three, a 5 yr old diva, a nearly 3 yr old lad and another at 11 months, no wonder I look older than I really am :biggrin: