How did you find a job ??

belaroy

We are getting closer to getting our partner visa being granted ( should be mid November) and my thoughts are turining to getting a job. We won't be heading to Oz till at least the first 1/4 of 2012, but it is something I need to sort out.

From all the threads on employment here, I can't seem to narrow down if people are getting jobs before they go or when they arrive in OZ....

I can sympathise with people not wanting to divulge their secrets as one less person who knows the tricks is one less person going for the same job...

But what I want to try and find out is ---

How did you get your job ??

Dd you apply from a website like SEEK ??

Did you send your CV out to prospective employers ??

Did you move out there without a job to go to ??

How did it happen for you ??

How did you have an interview ?

etc. etc.

The thing is for us is we are in no great rush, but need to sell the house first before we go, but ( and this is the last resort) I could go out there first by myself if the right job came along. I know others have been offered jobs before they went and I am intrigued as to how it all fell into place...

Any thoughts greatfully recieved.

I applied for loads of jobs on Seek and didn't get very far at all, then I tried agents in Australia, and again, pretty poor response.

So I booked a flight and came down; once the agents know I was coming they were suddenly a lot more interested in talking and I have numerous requests for meetings the minute I landed.

That said, got absolutely nothing from them. In the end, I found work by going direct to employers. I had written to a couple off shore and had nothing more than acknowledgements, but the day I arrived I emailed them all saying I was in town, and, if they were still looking would love to meet them.

Within 48hrs I had an offer.

I work in property, and I know my company is desperate for quality applicants, but they are few and far between. They have given up on agencies and rely on adverts and incoming CV's, but they won't look at you unless you can interview. They are also reluctant to go through the sponsorship route unless you qualify for a WHV. Simply too expensive and time consuming.

I applied even before I lodge my visa just to test out the market, and I received a few positive feedbacks (to inform them when I'm in Melbourne, even if it's 6 months down the road). So applied for visa, and tried to put my CV in SEEK and other sites, and put my approximate arrival date.

So when I got here, I started applying all over again through SEEK, and bad move, I got calls non-stop and it was a messy situation! I can't remember which job I applied for! Most of them would want you to have at least 1 year local experience and thought I wouldn't get the job or call anyway.

Anyway, after a week, I got my first interview with an agency and they have a client that is looking for someone like me in a bank (which is my area of expertise)... So he did a preliminary interview on behalf of his client. Second week, interview with the bank and got offered on the spot. Third week was all paperwork and getting stat decs and background check in order (yes, another round of those stuff!), by the forth week I'm already employed and working!

I still keep my CV on seek and other sites, and still getting offers from Perth, Syd, Brissy, etc. Don't know if i'm lucky or what. Just signed for a fixed term contract last week!

• Like 1

I think a decent CV is important too. I haven't had one for 7 or so years and have done about 4 or 5 drafts at the minute... From what I gather its the real difference between the bin and a phone call, no matter what your skills are.

I have sent out a about 3 or 4 emails with my CV just to test the water and see what feedback I can get

I have witten a letter of interest and sent it to companys I am currently in talks with a company on the Gold Coast who are very interested in me we are exchanging emails at the moment but it looks positive.

Things may change though. but I would get yourself a list of addresses for companies within your occupation and send of letters of interest with your C.V just asking them to keep it on file.