Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest NickElena

Bringing in a child

Recommended Posts

Guest NickElena

Hi here is a question for our group? I am planning to come in on a employer sponsership 457 visa. My partner and her child will follow on as the dependants from our relationship. My question is this: The boy who will be 9 this December has never known his father and his mother, my partner has his name in her passport. She has had no contact with the father since the child was 6mths old, what does she need in terms of a document to bring him into Australia bearing in mind she has no idea where he is and wants nothing to do with him anyway. Being Russian citizens he hardly can come into the country demanding his rights even if he had the inclination to.

I have had more to do with his upbringing in the last two years and moving to Australia will open further doors for his young life.

Can you suggest what she needs to have done to make this process easier to deal with upon entry to Australia.

Thanks for all the advice you guys can give or point me to the relevant websites.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MM2Melb

I am pretty sure she will need for him to have his own passport to enter Australia, I don't think they accept minors on an adults passport.


Beyond that, I would assume court documents to prove/assert sole custody - Australian authorities are not going to do something which could appear to be permissive of child abduction (obv not in your case but laws have to be applied consistently). The very fact that her ex couldn't get in for access or contact makes it more important from their pov to prove he is really not part of her life.


I think your situation is v complex so it would probably be wise to get professional advice ASAP to ensure you get the right documents together and/or processes in order.


Good luck with it all.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically you'll need to produce a court order showing that your partner has sole custody of the child and sole right to determine where he lives. If as you've suggested the father has abandoned the child this shouldn't be too hard to get - but legal fees are always expensive!

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the law in the country of residence. In the UK for examle you cannot take a child without parent's permission.


Australia only need you to prove you are abiding by your country's laws regarding the removal of dependent children.


So it may well depend where you are, your citizenship and that of the father.


I suggest you seek professional advice.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now