Worrying about the viscous Satchdog...

JoandJon

Ok, yes, I'll admit it - in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a complete softy when it comes to the Satchdog.

I worry about how she'll cope during the flight - will she be injured?? Will the plane crash? What if there's a delay and she's trapped without enough water???

I worry about how she'll cope in quarantine.

I worry about when she's taken off the plane and collected by quarantine - will she be so stressed that she'll snarl and snap at them?

Will they have to use a pole thing because she's so freaked out (she'll freak out if it's a bloke carrying a stick)

Will she cope when I visit her in quarantine and have to leave without her?

Will she fall in love with her quarantine handler and not want to come home with me??

Will she like Australia?? What if she doesn't get on with Jazz (Mum's dog), and the boys (Charlie and Sam - my brother's Golden Retrievers)?

Is there anything else I should be worrying about?

Am I completely stupid for worrying about these things?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...am no expert or anything, but are you maybe getting just a little worked up about things you really know will be okay (yes, your dog will forgive you for taking her to the other side of the world) because this is such a huge thing to do and waiting for visas is driving you a bit potty? I can only speak from my experience of this whole thing and I know that I'm putting all of my energy into worry the hell out of things while I'm waiting, waiting, waiting.....

You've no doubt taken time to choose who will carry your pup, she will have everything she needs for the flight, the Aussie quarantine people are good at this and they love animals so will take such good care of your girl but she'll still be please to see you!

Wishing you well.

Guest Karen and Colin
Ok, yes, I'll admit it - in case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a complete softy when it comes to the Satchdog.

I worry about how she'll cope during the flight - will she be injured?? Will the plane crash? What if there's a delay and she's trapped without enough water???

I worry about how she'll cope in quarantine.

I worry about when she's taken off the plane and collected by quarantine - will she be so stressed that she'll snarl and snap at them?

Will they have to use a pole thing because she's so freaked out (she'll freak out if it's a bloke carrying a stick)

Will she cope when I visit her in quarantine and have to leave without her?

Will she fall in love with her quarantine handler and not want to come home with me??

Will she like Australia?? What if she doesn't get on with Jazz (Mum's dog), and the boys (Charlie and Sam - my brother's Golden Retrievers)?

Is there anything else I should be worrying about?

Am I completely stupid for worrying about these things?

Phew. I thought I was the only one who had these thoughts. I'm sure everything will go without any hitches for both of us :biggrin: I lie in bed at night imagining what might happen and drive myself crazy. My boy fly's out on 31/10 and we don't arrive until the 8/11. It will be the worst time of the whole experience I think. I might have to consume a couple of wines just to get through it.

Guest The Pom Queen

No you are not stupid for worrying about these things and I would be a little concerned if you weren't worried. To be honest we stress more than the dogs/cats do.

Lots of hugs :hug::hug::animal-dog::animal-dog:

I became a nasty woman about 1 month up to the day the 3 fatties left the UK. Cried my eyes out when I dropped them off in the depot in MCR airport, poor Fred was all alone whilst the other 2 were together and he just looked at me with sad eyes and that made me cry even more.... stayed up all night tracking their flights online then freaked out when they had a 2 hour delay in Bangkok! OMG will they be OK??? Will the documents be OK???? had horrible nightmares of them being sent back to UK for whatever reason. Stayed up again to call the quarantine people to make sure they had arrived alive and OK.... But do you know what? they are having a better time than me so far..... Perhaps next time I should get my DH to ship me across in a crate??!!! Don't fret (too much) your pooch will be fine. The quarantine people are amazing.... I spoke to our attendant on a regular basis and she would tell me everything I wanted to know. She played with them every day, let them out to play together etc and made sure their weight was correct and would call up if she thought anything was wrong. The worst part of quarantine is the b@@@@y bill!!!!

Awww Thanks everyone :)

Logic isn't really playing any part of this process at the moment I think :)

I'm sure she'll be fine - in fact I'm sure she'll love Australia.

I spoke to someone yesterday (for an unrelated matter) and discovered her Dad is a baggage handler at Heathrow! She said they really take care of the animals and make a fuss of them. Her Dad used to come home (when she lived there) and tell stories every night about what animals they'd seen and where they were going.

It's amazing how that small reassurance made me feel much better - particularly when combined with plain old common sense and logic :)

I'm really worried about this too, my little bitch Maisy is a PANSY and I worry for her so much. Are you allowed to take lots of toys and treats and bedding when we visit her in quarantine? I'm a groomer too, so she'll be cut short before she goes so that I don't have to dematt her when I visit, I'll just miss her so much.

I'm hoping I can take in some extra bedding for Satch (stuff that smells of me & OH) and her toy puppy (which she's currently trying to shove in my lap).

I think (from the AQIS website) that you just need to liaise with them about treats to make sure pooch isn't overfed!

I wonder how immune they are to the Labrador-mind-meld??

I should've checked on this thread before I posted my own! I am desperately worried about how cat, Ralph, will be on the flight and during the 30 days in quarantine. All the answers here help not only to reassure me that he'll be ok - but also because I'm not the only person who worries excessively about these things!

Thank you :)

*scrape of chair as Beth stands up*

My name is Bethany. And I am afraid of putting my dog through our Australia move.

;)

Us moving over has been a huge impact; for one thing, it means I probably won't be able to keep a pup from my litter coming up. We may not be ale to take one of my dogs because my family are very attached to him, I've finally been able to swing my mother on my bitch though. Maisy is incredibly attached to me, and she just would not cope without me, I feel. When we went over to Aus, my ma told me she spent at least an hour every day for that two months outside my room crying for me.

Freddy, however, is much more laid back and would cope, I think. However, we're still going to try and buy him from my mother, as he's still my baby boy!

*scrape of another chair*

My name is Jo, and I worry about putting my dog through a move to Australia.

;)

Of course I should be clear - she's coming!!!!!! My husband has even said he'd leave his guitars behind rather than Satch :) Well ok, he said he'd leave behind SOME of his guitars. But I know he meant all of them really!

I had a really horrible nightmare that my dog, Jaye, was on her stopover in Singapore and managed to get out of her crate and plane and was left to fend for herself on the streets of Singapore :(

I have had exactly the same nightmare!!!

And yes I know logically that Satch is on QF10 and they don't even leave the plane in Singapore, but these worries are not in any way, shape or form based on logic!

"scrape of Chair"

my name is Paul, monty is due for his blood tests tomorrow and flys out 17th october, what if his blood tests are bad, or I have messed up the paper work, or when I get to Oz he is too hot (he will have to swin in the sea the) what if he needs to wee in his crate!!

Hiya Paul,

Satch is having her blood tests today as well - but she's heading to Melbourne, and you're off to Sydney aren't you? Otherwise they could be flight buddies!

I'm worried about all of the above too - but I think I'm secretly a little pleased that Satch will be losing the start of her winter coat whilst in Quarantine instead of in our house :D

Well everyone, Satch has had her blood taken, now it's just a matter of waiting to make sure it's all been done correctly!

The vet (and I!!!) nearly forgot about the 'external parasites' treatment and he chased me out into the carpark!!

Not to worry, Satch got frontlined, they took 10mls of blood (from her jugular!!) and he's promised to make sure her Microchip ID is on everything....

Now it's just a matter of wait and see for the results.

Tic-Toc-Tic-Toc

ARRRRGGHHHHHH

Monty went today as well, same just waiting for the test results, god I hope he is ok. The vet left something out of his previous vaccination as he knew monty would be going soon. I think monty enjoyed having the bandage on for a while

That would have been the lepto - well done you! I understand it's what causes the problem most of the time.

Satch had her lepto in her last vacc, but that was in December so I'm hoping (and Simon the vet's pretty confident) that it'll be ok ...

The only thing that I do worry about is that it says on the AQIS info pack 'Results must be recorded on Vet Cert A of the AQIS import permit'

I know they're experts and they do it all the time, but I just worry that the advice is different to what is in writing from AQIS.

Gah!!!

Hi - Its reassuring to know I am not the only one worrying and dreaming up all manor of scenarios! I keep imagining Hector escaping somehow and being lost in Singapore!!

His one nervous pussy cat around strangers bless him, but from what others who have been through this before have said, the cats and dogs are absolutely fine and its just owners who panic and imagine the worst.

I worry more about the flight than quarantine - at least we can go and visit him! :animal-cat:

Hi - Its reassuring to know I am not the only one worrying and dreaming up all manor of scenarios! I keep imagining Hector escaping somehow and being lost in Singapore!!

His one nervous pussy cat around strangers bless him, but from what others who have been through this before have said, the cats and dogs are absolutely fine and its just owners who panic and imagine the worst.

I worry more about the flight than quarantine - at least we can go and visit him! :animal-cat:

I worry that Satch will be put in the hold opposite a lion and develop a pathological fear of cats....

When and where is Hector flying? And who with?