Perth Rentals...

Guest ryu2000

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advise with regards to renting in Perth outside of links to websites like realestate, gumtree etc.

We are caught in a Catch-22 situation whereby we are now getting outbid by other tenants when applying for a flat and secondly have no experience in renting so are getting turned down.

It's really made me wonder if I will be staying in Perth long term. I think if we've not had any luck by 7 weeks I'll have to return to the UK as we will have nowhere to live.

What tips can anyone offer. We are renting out the property we have in the UK. Would a mortgage statement help? Job offer? Written references?

best regards,

Martyn...

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Martyn

Have you had a look at the Perth Poms forum sometimes members break their lease and are looking for someone to take over. Do you have anyone who can write you a reference etc.

Guest inaroundroom

When we moved to Perth last October we found that most properties sub $550 had a ridiculous amount of interest at open viewings.

We ended up cutting our loses so we could get out of our short-term rental and stretching the budget to $600, within two days we had a lease signed.

Previously in Brisbane our house in a similiar area was $465...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't sound too promising!! we are coming over in January and trying to line up short term rent, but we dont know how long to rent it for because we dont know how long it will take us to get long term rent !! Good luck anyway Ryu2000

Guest mandi1971

We are exactly the same, short term lets are all booked or way over our budget or old and run down. Then we're not sure how long to rent them as we don't know how long it will take to find a long term rental.

This is giving me more headaches than the visa ever did :frown:

And to top it all off we have 3-4 weeks to get sorted so the kids can start school

Happy Days lol :rolleyes:

I hope you sort something soon Martyn

Mandi x

have a look at http://www.quokka.com.au/template.php/search they have private rentals on that paper as well .. you really need to be available for the viewings as well , my oh chose our last two rentals as i was working and couldn't make the dates ... and they ( the estate agents ) are not bothered as there is always some one wanting them even if you don't ..

Have a look on www.perthpoms.com as there is an acccomodation section and people do pop on breakleases ...also there are a couple of rental buisness's on there that advertise thier houses .. good luck !

We've just managed to secure a rental in Aubin Grove. No references as renters as we've owned our own home since we were 19. We have no jobs yet bu provided proof of funds through bank statement (we sold our house so have a few quid to tie us over) enclosed a mortgage statement showing we never missed a payment. Also offered 3 months up front.

Lucky for us we secured off a guy living here for 16 yrs originally from scotland, understood how difficult it is to start so said he'd give us a chance.

Most real estate agents recommended offering 3 months or more rent due to lack of refernces and jobs.

Also if we liked a house we put our application in immediately i.e. took it home filled it in and went straight back to the agent.

hope some of this helps, Good luck!!

Guest Guest55385
We are exactly the same, short term lets are all booked or way over our budget or old and run down. Then we're not sure how long to rent them as we don't know how long it will take to find a long term rental.

And to top it all off we have 3-4 weeks to get sorted so the kids can start school

Mandi x

We're coming over in December and have decided to stay in really cheap hotel/motel accommodation to start with and then start looking. We have a number of areas to look at based on school research, but really we're clueless lol.

• 1 month later...
Guest mandi1971
We're coming over in December and have decided to stay in really cheap hotel/motel accommodation to start with and then start looking. We have a number of areas to look at based on school research, but really we're clueless lol.

Yeh we thought about that but cant even find a cheap hotel that will take 4 people :eek:

Theres so many long term ones that i love but id hate to go for one then hate the area. I busy looking for a B&B at the minute so fingers crossed. How did you get on?

Mandi x

Guest Beth101

Hi - Our rental agent wrote us a letter, on company headed notepaper, to say they were acting as our agent to lease our house in the UK for a rental income of £ per month, and that our property had a current market value in the UK of £ (fill in the blanks for your own property).

We gave this to the rental agent in Oz, and they seemed perfectly happy to use this instead of a rental reference.

Guest nataliehayden

Hi

We are finding it hard as well to find a house. Just moved from Ireland with three small boys and are finding it impossible. We brought all our recent bank statement from home, which is what they are looking for, your auctioneer who is renting out your propery at home to write you a reference and your boss. These will be both good. Any bank statements you can get online would be fine. Just give them as much information as you can in your application and fingers crossed you will get the next property you look at.

Natalie

Guest Carolyn1

We are living in a rental property in Duncraig which we will be moving out of at the end of the month and it will be available from 5th December.

It is a 4 bed/2 bath house about 5 mins drive from beach, 10 min walk to train station and walking distance to schools. It is very easy maintenace and is on at $450 week. You can look at it on

http://www.firstwesternrealty.com.au...g/1967840.aspx

Its better than the photos make it look.

CAROLYN:cute:

Mandi x

Same Boat my friend :arghh:Kids Start School Early Feb ,No House & No Job offers Shipment Gone :skeptical:

Yeh we thought about that but cant even find a cheap hotel that will take 4 people :eek:

Theres so many long term ones that i love but id hate to go for one then hate the area. I busy looking for a B&B at the minute so fingers crossed. How did you get on?

Mandi x

Try Sullivans In Perth we Got A Family Room There In June Brekkie Included They Had the Best Value Around , We Didn't Book Through The hotel cain't Think Who,Goods Night Rest And Buffet Brekkie Would Go There Again:biggrin:

Guest mandi1971
Try Sullivans In Perth we Got A Family Room There In June Brekkie Included They Had the Best Value Around , We Didn't Book Through The hotel cain't Think Who,Goods Night Rest And Buffet Brekkie Would Go There Again:biggrin:

Ah thankyou I'll give them a try. I had a chance of a house in Ashby but they need someone to view it for me? Bit hard when I'm in the UK lol.

Have you somewhere to stay short term?

Mandi x

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advise with regards to renting in Perth outside of links to websites like realestate, gumtree etc.

We are caught in a Catch-22 situation whereby we are now getting outbid by other tenants when applying for a flat and secondly have no experience in renting so are getting turned down.

It's really made me wonder if I will be staying in Perth long term. I think if we've not had any luck by 7 weeks I'll have to return to the UK as we will have nowhere to live.

What tips can anyone offer. We are renting out the property we have in the UK. Would a mortgage statement help? Job offer? Written references?

best regards,

Martyn...

have u thought of widening ur search area ....even if u got somewhere for 6 months ....it would then be easier to get another rental in ur preferred area as u would have ref from an agent ......

mrs keily

what about a holiday park? They offer cabins which will probably cater for families. Not too sure on prices. My parents are assistant managers at one in the swan valley but my mind is currently blank and I cant remember the name of it! They have a site in fremantle too.

They have permanent residents living on there so its not all just short term lets. The swan valley setting is beautiful but a little out of the city and certainly not near the beach. If your stuck though worth having a look at holiday parks!

Guest boxtobox

I've got to admit it was a lot more difficult to get a decent rental than we ever expected and we were looking for 6 months plus.

What clicked pretty quickly with us was that despite being rent/mortgage free in the UK we had no credit history in Australia. As other posters have pointed out arm yourselves with as much info as possible. We took along references from our new employer(s) even though we had worked for them a matter or weeks, letters from Estate agents in the UK renting out our property, wage slips from our new employer and personal references from close friends.

It became aparent very quickly that we were 'nobodies' in a new country and were starting again. Frustrating when agents ask for a weeks rental money to be transfered in to their account to prove 'good will' on your part only not to be successful in your application and have to wait 2 weeks for a bloody refund.

Don't loose heart, even when you think you will never get anything, look further afield as transport links are good and if you can 'up' your budget a bit this can also help - easy for me to say this now but we have been there in the last 3 months.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest irishchicko

Hi,

Just wondering what cheap motel you found. Am having no luck.

Thanks