Anyone moving to Gladstone in 2011/2012?

Guest BigLib

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, we are hoping to be out in gladstone or at least in the area next april/may bringing two daughters 14 and 17 so at least there will be babysitters available. This waiting is killing us how does everyone else cope???

Ywool I don't go till June but my oh goes feb :( the wait is hard but so much to look forward to and organise I get through by coming on here n researching/obsessing lol I just hope we like it when we get there! Sounds like a few of us are going to a similar area from the uk so hopefully we can all get together for support etc

buddy's mum - is there anywhere nice to live between Gladstone and rocky? looking at a map there doesn't seem like there's anywhere coastal between. not fancying the commute so looking at other options thanks :)

Really very little at all between Rocky and Gladstone. It's mostly bush with small townships in between. No coastal residences, Port Alma is just industry.

Gracemere is an alternative but is not much nearer than Rocky, just a bit further inland.

I guess you could shave a bitt off your journey by looking at places to the right edge go each town??? Mt Larcom might fit the bill but it's very small, has few shops and straddles the highway. But they do have a much better town show than we do!

Hi Annette

It is 72 Whitbread Rd, clinton.....

Any ideas where else may be a possible ? what about private schools for our 6yr old son ? any close by to Clinton? Do you think we should maybe look at securing somewhere to live whilst we are still in the uk or leave it till we get to Gladstone? our contact at Bunnings has mentioned to us that a house with a pool is difficult to rent on a short term lease ......does this sound right to you ? 9 weeks to fo now before we fly out (Feb 6th ) so starting to get a bit panicky about what to do for the best ........

Thanks

Ps- send me a private msg with your surmane and i can find you on FB.xx

Yes, that's in the nice bit! Well done. Bit pricey though. But I think it's all going to be pricey at the moment; it's a landlords (or agent's) market.

Private primary schools: St Stevens is Lutheran based and on Glenlyon Rd.. There's Trinity College in Archer Street which our son attends. Another faith-based school. Both continue to High School. There are two good Roman Catholic primary schools; one in town and the other in Clinton. Clinton State School isn't a bad school either.

Take a look at the school websites and see what you think.

well.. if that's the case.. then all i have to do is persuade the wife that part of the reason we are moving from Perth is to help us get ahead.. and not to look at rentals in the $1,000/wk bracket..:eek:

which are very nice... but..!

$650 -$800... wish me luck

Hi Vixxy- it would be great to meet up in Gladstone when we all get there.....have a look at Tannum sands beach house on the web- thats where we are going in feb for a month.....my husbands company booked that for us and it is lovely......close to beach , shops etc....

Looks gorg shame its so far from rocky I would of liked to move there but we'll see how it plays out. Can't wait to get there found a big pub in rocky that has a rodeo arena! I'm going to be a cow girl lol 29 weeks not that I'm counting :)

That's the Great Western. They do fantastic steaks!! Haven't been to a rodeo there but they do play videos of them in the bar while you eat!! The railway line runs down the centre of the street and they load and offload cattle there, with the cowboys and everything!!! I love it here!

Ive looked at those look really nice would happily live there hopefully i can find a good job in rocky so one of us doesnt have to commute to/from gladstone guess ill just have to see what I can find when I get there. When my OH gets there in Feb ill have him going everywhere to find the perfect place for us so hopefully that will make me feel better its the unknown at the minute its worrying. Thanks for all your advise and info buddys mum much appreciated :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Wanna b warm

Hi we are newbies! Oh has been offered job based in Gladstone. So we could be going out in the next few months dependant on how quick 457 process is. Have enjoyed reading your posts..helpful. We have 3 kids 13 12 and 4. Eldest 2 not happy about going. We have been to nsw to visit family in Sydney we went to Newcastle drove on the beach my husbands a 4x4 enthusiast and liked it there have done some research on Gladstone but have never seriously considered QLD before. The beaches look beautiful but what's it really like to live there? With the flooding and cyclones last year I am a little apprehensive lol. My husband will be working away during the week which would be a huge change for us.. Have those already there found it easy to make friends and meet people? Are there good facilities for teenagers? (we need to win them round!).

Thanks for reading.

Hi, I'm just in bed and on my iPhone so can't really reply now, but we have been here two years and love it. We have a 14yr old son. He loves it too.

Take a look at my old posts and if I haven't replied properly in a day or two then PM me and I'll get onto it.

When are you coming?

Guest Wanna b warm

Thanks buddy's mum. Will definitely have a read. We don't have a date yet have been told 457 process could be anything from a few weeks to a few months so we are guessing Easter?!?

Sorry if a bit late replying but we went to Gladstone and the best thing about it is that's where the boat to Heron Island goes from. HI is on the southern tip of the Barrier and is a nature reserve so the only people on it are those staying which is really nice. It's not touristy and the kids club is the best I have seen - they learn all about the reef and collect badges like the scouts. Hope they are still doing it! Good luck, tcj

Hi we are newbies! Oh has been offered job based in Gladstone. So we could be going out in the next few months dependant on how quick 457 process is. Have enjoyed reading your posts..helpful. We have 3 kids 13 12 and 4. Eldest 2 not happy about going. We have been to nsw to visit family in Sydney we went to Newcastle drove on the beach my husbands a 4x4 enthusiast and liked it there have done some research on Gladstone but have never seriously considered QLD before. The beaches look beautiful but what's it really like to live there? With the flooding and cyclones last year I am a little apprehensive lol. My husband will be working away during the

week which would be a huge change for us.. Have those already there found it easy to make friends and meet people? Are there good facilities for teenagers? (we need to win them round!).

Thanks for reading.

Hi there

We are going to Gladstone (Tannum sands) to be precise.....in 5 weeks time. We are leaving Manchester behind !!! yey for good. Buddys mum has been a great help to me. By the way, we are a family of 3 ( our son is 6) and is looking forward to it.

Show the kids pics of Tannum sands on the web.......very close to Gladstone .....thats what i have done with my son and it seems to have worked and the fact that our house is 300m away from the beach...lol

good luck and keep us posted....i can certainley keep you posted when we get there ( Feb 10th ) and hopefully give you some useful advice....

Guest Wanna b warm

That would be great Millers thankyou. Great to have info and advice from others. Tannum Sands looks great. Our eldest has hit a proper kevin and perry stage not sure how we are going to win her round lol. 5 weeks not long at all how exciting..looking forward to reading how things go.

Wow, some interesting stuff on here!

My partner and I may be moving from Adelaide to Gladston in March (he's been offered a job and we're weighing up the pros and cons right now). Having spent 6 months living and working Whyalla, SA (loved it), and coming from a small village in Wales, I suspect I can live almost anywhere as long as the people are friendly :-)

If anyone's got any more information about Gladstone then please feel free to share, we would love to know more!!

K x

Guest Lynch Mob

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the forum and was just wondering if anyone had any info on Yeppoon please. I'm moving over to Queensland from Manchester with my wife and my (baby) son in April as I've got a Civil Designer position in Rockhampton.

I'd be interested in knowing if Yeppoon to Rockhampton is commutable, and also my wife is interested in meeting other people or baby / children clubs etc.

Any information is welcome.

Thanks in advance

The Lynch Mob!

(Chris and Vick)

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to the forum and was just wondering if anyone had any info on Yeppoon please. I'm moving over to Queensland from Manchester with my wife and my (baby) son in April as I've got a Civil Designer position in Rockhampton.

I'd be interested in knowing if Yeppoon to Rockhampton is commutable, and also my wife is interested in meeting other people or baby / children clubs etc.

Thanks in advance

The Lynch Mob!

(Chris and Vick)

Hi there

Where abouts in Manchester are you from ? shame you wont be living nearer to Gladstone.......were gonna be there is 4 weeks in Tannum sands....

Thanks in advance

The Lynch Mob!

(Chris and Vick)

Very commutable. In fact if we were working in Rocky we would live in Yeppoon or Emu Park. On our list of places to retire to!!!

Virginia, it's only an hour and a half away. We have driven to Yeppoon just for an evening out!!!

Guest Lynch Mob

Hi Millers and thanks Buddysmum for the info.

We live in Winton, just off Worsley Rd in Salford, are you guys local??

The thing is i will be training for a month in Gladstone for my new position, then we have the option to either live there, or move to the Rockhampton office and live in Yeppoon.

Either way we would love the opportunity to meet up if you guys are up for it, it would be nice to get the lowdown on the area before we make a decision :)

How have you found making all the necessary arrangements??

Do you guys or anyone else out there have any tips or advice on shipping, cars, best suburbs to live in Rocky and Yeppoon??

Cheers,

Chris, Viki & Grayson