Guest nataliepowell

Post quarantine anxiety/issues

Guest nataliepowell

Hi all

Not sure if anyone has had the same problem but our dog appears to be suffering anxiety/fearfulness since leaving quarantine.

We can no longer leave him in the house as he has damaged things and we were leaving him in the garage with the door to the garden open but he has dug a hole under the side gate ! We now have to shut him in the garage when we go out and when we get back he is unbelievably excited jumps up and barks at high pitch.

We never had any issues in the UK like this. We have also tried leaving him with dog sitters which has ended badly both times :err: In the UK we left him with dog sitters in their houses and had no problems at all.

Do you think he will get over it or has he been permanently affected? Someone suggested he may have been mis-treated in quarantine but i will never know and we paid for a dog walker to go in and never had any problems with them?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Natalie

Hi Natalie

Your dog hasn't been abused but is showing signs of separation anxiety and who can blame him. He has no idea where he is or whether you are going to put him in a crate and leave him again.

My own dog did exactly the same.

He should settle down but you will have to work with him. Try walking out of the door and then coming back in 10 seconds, slowly build on this and get to 15 minutes as soon as he sees that you always return he will stop being stressed. Also when you do get home don't run straight to the garage and give him attention wait a while until he has calmed down then try.

You could also try natural remedies before you go out to help, two you can use are Valerian and Melatonin, both can be picked up from a health food store if you need the dose give me a shout.

Hugs

K

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Thanks so much for the advice Kate, I've stored it up in my cellar of information ready for use when the time comes!

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

QUOTE=nataliepowell;1186894]

Hi all

Not sure if anyone has had the same problem but our dog appears to be suffering anxiety/fearfulness since leaving quarantine.

We can no longer leave him in the house as he has damaged things and we were leaving him in the garage with the door to the garden open but he has dug a hole under the side gate ! We now have to shut him in the garage when we go out and when we get back he is unbelievably excited jumps up and barks at high pitch.

We never had any issues in the UK like this. We have also tried leaving him with dog sitters which has ended badly both times :err: In the UK we left him with dog sitters in their houses and had no problems at all.

Do you think he will get over it or has he been permanently affected? Someone suggested he may have been mis-treated in quarantine but i will never know and we paid for a dog walker to go in and never had any problems with them?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

Yes, our dog has changed since coming out of quarantine. She came out in February, but I would say now has some anxiety issues (more than she used to). Unfortunately she was in quarantine when we had a terrible storm, and I believe the kennels did flood. Since coming out, if we have heavy rain and wind, she is a complete wreck! We came from Scotland where we have plenty of rain and wind, and she was perfectly fine there!

Guest nataliepowell

Thanks for advice Moving 2 Melbourne x

Thanks for advice Moving 2 Melbourne x

No worries, if I can help just shout.:hug:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest MontyClaude

The pet agency have given me the name of a product called "calms" i think which is supposed to calm them funnily enough!

Seriously though, my Bernese isn't really a people dog, she loves us and that's about it, she's a bit nervous and aloof with other people and I know that the agency are going to struggle to get her into her crate. She's not viscious by any means just stubborn and she's about 45kg's so if she doesn't want to move it's tricky to make her. They told me to ask my vet about calms and possibly put her on it for about 3 weeks before she flies and then through quarantine. They are getting their bloods on Monday so I'll ask them. I'm hoping that because my two will be together she'll be fine, it's more the crate on the plane than the quarantine I'm worried about.

Hiya again Monty,

Satch is going for her bloods on Monday too, fingers crossed for all the muttlets!!

I can imagine convincing a Bernese into a crate would be very challenging, hope it all goes well, and I'll probably see you in quarantine!

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Guest MontyClaude

Ah we're doing everything at the same time.....see you in quarantine :)

Guest daisydoo

Yes a lot of dogs can't handle beign shipped across the world, and locked in quarenteen. Its not as bad as it was previously, but it is a very stresfull situation for your pet. Imagine someone stuffing you in a crate, without telling you where you were going, then you flying half way across the world, and then being kept away from your owners for a period of time. then your owner arrives, and is happy to see you, and hopes everything goes back to normal.

As a ex dog trainer, I choose to leave my dog at home with relatives (he was 8 yrs old, and had a friend dog there too) but i honestly wouldnt choose to put my dog in that stressfull situation for so long.

Obviously you guys couldn't live without your dog, but now he is traumatised and you will have to learn to work with him, take things slowly, build up trust and confidence with your dog again. Leave him alone only for short times, never more than 4 hours at any one time (that goes for any dog - for a one with speartion issues no more than half an hour till he gets into routine) when you come back in, ignore him till he is quiet, if he has made a mess, its not his fault, you will have to find a safe and secure environment for him, where he can't get out, and cant damage stuff, or hurt himself. At the end of the day, he is still far more traumatise that you know. In his eyes, every time you leave him alone, he will be thinking when am i gonna see them again, am I going to get crated up and shipped across the world again etc!

See things from your dog's point of view, separation anxiety doesnt have a quick fix, its a long term solution, so please get your priorities straight, and fix this the proper way, take your time with him, and he should come right.

Guest MontyClaude

Hi daisydoo. I appreciate the post but you have prob just freaked most of us out. we are all trying to do what is best for our pets.

Have to agree that was quite an aggressive and negative post...to apply to some balance;

We brought our 6 year old lab with us, he always has been very much a family dog, very set in his routines and very loyal, energetic, soft and loving.

He didnt like quarantine at all, we payed for him to be walked but the feedback from the kennels and the walkers wasnt great, he was aggressive, apathetic and very nervous. Really concerning for us, and we worried he wouldnt be the same when he finally caught up with us.

When i picked him up from the airport (he was in quarantine in Sydney, we are in Qld), he was clearly aggitated and didnt bound up to me as i had hoped. But by the time we got him home and he had explored the house and garden, sniffed everything, wee'd on everything twice and decided where he was going to sleep, he very quickly settled.

The next morning he came and found us, woke us up at exactly the same time as he used to in UK...how does a dog work out time difference???.......and demanded his breakfast in exactly the same way as he always has.

That was 18 months ago, since then he has been exactly himself in every way. Not too keen on the heat up here sometimes but rather than finding the warm spot by the fire as he used to, he now finds the cool spot by the aircon instead.

i don't think we were lucky at all, we've met lots of others who have had even less problems than we experienced. I can understand pets being stressed by the move, lets face it its stressful enough for the owners, and i can understand how they can be traumatised, but i would say even in those rare cases they will bounce back given time and lots of love and attention

Guest MontyClaude

Hi Ericfish, thanks a million for your post. I'm quite stressed this moning, the container is here at the moment and the dogs are getting their bloods this afternoon. Sorry if my reply was terse :)

Hi Ericfish, thanks a million for your post. I'm quite stressed this moning, the container is here at the moment and the dogs are getting their bloods this afternoon. Sorry if my reply was terse :)

hey no worries, as they say here locally

Its stressful for everyone, and everything i guess.

Daisy's post was an opinion based on her experience, and the original post is quite upsetting, dragging animals all this way isnt really fair and we all stress over the seperation, but its a decision people take and there are hundreds and thousands who have brought their pets over with little or no dramas.

And i should add i can't imagine it would have been any less upsetting for us and him if we had left him behind

Hiya Monty and anyone else who's a bit freaked out (like me) - now first of all :hug::hug::hug:

We are experienced, knowledgable and responsible pet owners, and WE know what's best for our packs (or whatever the cat equivalent is!) - not a complete stranger.

Monty - don't forget that your boys will have each other in quarantine too - I'm sure they'll be ok.

Satch of course will probably be a gibbering wreck on her own (oh wait, no that'll be me!).

If you're really worried, maybe you could come up with a plan to make sure when you do pick them from Quarantine that you act in all the right ways to ensure they settle in straight away! Research all the best things you can do to settle animals into their new home quickly and I'm sure they'll be fine!

Cheers :)

Guest nataliepowell

Hiya - feel like I have been told off now! We stressed over the decision to bring him and since we have been here have thought did we do the right thing but he is settling down slowly. We are now back to leaving him in the house when we go out and he is much more settled and no more damage yet!

Daisydoo- I have set my priorities in order but still the kids settling and us settling is just as important as the dog so not gonna stay in all day with him til he is fully recovered cos otherwise the rest of us will go slowly insane :)

Thanks

Hiya - feel like I have been told off now! We stressed over the decision to bring him and since we have been here have thought did we do the right thing but he is settling down slowly. We are now back to leaving him in the house when we go out and he is much more settled and no more damage yet!

Daisydoo- I have set my priorities in order but still the kids settling and us settling is just as important as the dog so not gonna stay in all day with him til he is fully recovered cos otherwise the rest of us will go slowly insane :)

Thanks

Hiya Natalie,

It sounds like you're doing just the right things and he's settling down nicely!

I was thinking about how much I miss the smell of Australia the other day and it actually made me think about what it will be like for Satchdog. If I notice the smell is so different in the air, it must be a million times more obvious to a dog.

Maybe that was part of it - and now he's getting used to it he's calming down?

Not sure, but it might be something!

• Like 1