North and south,differences?

pablo

Guest guest37336
Most people in the UK were really nice but I can say as an Aussie I got the most grief from overly nationalistic londoners who obviously considered themselves a cut above the rest.

Hi mate.

I reckon those are the ones who 'class' themselves as Londoners, :no::mad: when in truth they live in the Burbs 'commute' in, think they own the place and have there heads up their own backsides whilst looking down at everyone else mate.

Cheers Tony.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest17301

So...basically we are saying that Northerners are salt of the earth and southerners are posh shandy drinking up themselves types then?.......just as I thought....:wubclub: Should we have a poll? (Oh no Eddies gone, I forgot)

I used to see a lovely "poor little rich girl" from Louisville Kentucky mate,well to do family,she was brought up with a maid etc,dad a builder,she was well educated in Colombia Uni(Ohio i think?),i met her while working in London,about 10 yrs younger than me,she'd been in London a yr.

She came over to get into the theatre,i didnt know till she told me that most of the underlings in the west end plays done it for no pay btw.

She did actually win amatuer director of the yr once down there,think it was in the Kings Head theatre,really nice girl(i know,what was she doing with me:mad::laugh:).

She worked about 3 jobs to get by and lived on Gower St Camden,then Parsons Green fulham,mostly i went down there to see her because she never had much £.

I brought her up to Liverpool a cpl of times,i once asked her what she thought,she said "tbh Pauly(yup she called me pauly!:rolleyes:),the buildings are lovely,but i find the people really agressive,or do i mean agressive sounding?":sad:

Absolutely devoed mate,because she had no agenda,she was just being honest,just couldnt understand how somebody who had spent so long in a fast,hurly burly place like London could think that way about my home city.

I mean she had chambermaided in London,done waitressing in Restaurants,worked in bars etc,so it wasnt like she wasnt exposed to potentially violent/agressive situations.

Never did get over that,hugely dissapointed i was,i just put it down to the way my mates used to talk to each other when we were out etc,but i was very suprised tbh,guess its what yer used to mate???????????????????????????

Guest The Pom Queen
So...basically we are saying that Northerners are salt of the earth and southerners are posh shandy drinking up themselves types then?.......just as I thought....:wubclub: Should we have a poll? (Oh no Eddies gone, I forgot)

I'm sure Eddie wouldn't mind you starting one.:wubclub:

Hi mate.

I reckon those are the ones who 'class' themselves as Londoners, :no::mad: when in truth they live in the Burbs 'commute' in, think they own the place and have there heads up their own backsides whilst looking down at everyone else mate.

Cheers Tony.

Yeah, you missed my edit with the word "snobby londoners" as I wanted to make it clear it wasn't the average person....just some right little jumped up nationalistic snobs who had derogatory stereotyped opinions on every nation despite only seeming to have been to europe or a beach holiday. A snobby version of Australia's the Best Why Would I Go Anywhere Else crew you can get here :biggrin:

I'm a Londoner but I'll talk to anyone. I'm from a fairly friendly part of London that actually isn't particularly 'British British', maybe that's why they are so friendly.

Guest Guest16631

its the people you meet from certain areas that gives me my preconcieved ideas about the "folk" from there..............:wideeyed:..................OH's family are from newcastle....................and although very friendly.......are loud and brash ........drink Newcastle brown ale .....:wacko:.....enjoy a knees up down the pub ......:jiggy:.......but probably not suitable for anything demanding tact , but interested in football..........:biggrin:.........salt of the earth types..............I know not all people from newcastle are like this but they are who I think of when Newcastle is mentioned...................oh and the Royles...............for Manchester................

Been waiting fer you:biggrin::laugh:,northern monkeys pls!:mad::wink:

It's a good question mate to be honest,

i my experience ( which is not much ) i generally find people in London unfriendly, i worked up there for 12 weeks earlier in the year and most people dont even give you the time of day, having said that i did find the smaller shop keepers and cafe owners friendly. I dont really have much experience with you northerner's apart from on pio and have to say they all seem a friendly bunch to me :wubclub:

Actually thinking about it London is so multi cultural :policeman: nobody can bloody well understand each other anyway :laugh:.

Also i always have quite a romantic view of northern areas with cobbled streets and hovis bread and all that :daydreaming:

Guest sh7t man no way

i find northern folk the salt of the earth--southern folk are just namby pamby snobs--and all the birds down south are fat,and have bad breath:eek:plus they cant cook,and they live on takeaway meals:no:so ive been told:wideeyed:plus northern people adapt better to australia--its there down to earth values that suit the country:yes:

i find northern folk the salt of the earth--southern folk are just namby pamby snobs--and all the birds down south are fat,and have bad breath:eek:plus they cant cook,and they live on takeaway meals:no:so ive been told:wideeyed:plus northern people adapt better to australia--its there down to earth values that suit the country:yes:

Knew i could rely on you for a fairminded diplomatic answer al:biggrin:,thx for coming:wubclub:

Not all southern folk are namby pamby snobs :mad:, and not all southern birds have bad breath and are fat, my wife is gorgeous :yes:

Guest guest37336

I've just asked if this post can be made a 'Sticky' on any future threads concerning the North/South divide..:yes::biglaugh:

Alan, your a genius, summed it up in a few short unbiased, fair and balanced words.:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::goofy:

Actually thinking about it London is so multi cultural :policeman: nobody can bloody well understand each other anyway :laugh:.

Also i always have quite a romantic view of northern areas with cobbled streets and hovis bread and all that :daydreaming:

In fairness to Londoners mate,i bet a lot of the people you met in the "city area" werent actually from London.

I agree tho,they allways seem in a rush to get somewhere kind of thing dont they,much faster down there isnt it.

The actual Londoners i met were sound,especially the lads and girls from the east end.

Try ordering a pint in London with a scouse accent and watch all the hands checking for their wallets!:mad::biglaugh:

Cobbled streets????:wideeyed:the last i read about cobbled streets in lpool was in the echo

"Rogue council workmen steal street:goofy:,the residents thought it was Lpool council workers taking the sets up to replace with tarmac in Anfield,however when the street was stripped bare nobody from the council turned up,which alerted the residents,police are looking for 8 men with Lpool accents and hi vis bibs on":laugh:

In fairness to Londoners mate,i bet a lot of the people you met in the "city area" werent actually from London.

I agree tho,they allways seem in a rush to get somewhere kind of thing dont they,much faster down there isnt it.

The actual Londoners i met were sound,especially the lads and girls from the east end.

Try ordering a pint in London with a scouse accent and watch all the hands checking for their wallets!:mad::biglaugh:

Cobbled streets????:wideeyed:the last i read about cobbled streets in lpool was in the echo

"Rogue council workmen steal street:goofy:,the residents thought it was Lpool council workers taking the sets up to replace with tarmac in Anfield,however when the street was stripped bare nobody from the council turned up,which alerted the residents,police are looking for 8 men with Lpool accents and hi vis bibs on":laugh:

They have cobbled streets on corrie :yes:

I can say despite what they told me the Geordies and Mackems seemed exactly the same as each other :biggrin:

Up here in Newcastle you would be burned at the stake for comments like that!

:biggrin: Sunderland too, when the mackems discover fire :biglaugh:

Could you say "book" for me when you're killing me so I know whether I was murdered by a mackem or a geordie...seems to be the only difference :biggrin:

I'm from Portsmouth originally lived in London for a while then blackpool and now north wales. Well where do I start London very attitude driven people stare when u walk in a pub etc not enjoyable at all. Blackpool loved us cause they thought we were tourists but when they found out we were living there attitudes changed drastically towards us. North wales town is an absolute dive but been made to feel really welcome and am now considered as one of their own. Regularly visit Liverpool and Manchester great cities nice people. So yes there is a difference and given a choice northerners are a much more friendly bunch of people in my opinion. Other than the seasiders ( blackpool locals!)

I'm trying to decide whether to be pleased that i'm not british - and therefore immune from any allegations about my namby-pambiness, weight, breath and cooking abilities or just to say PFFFFFFTTT :)

Is there really a detectable difference between a Newcastle & a Sunderland accent (or between Sunderland & Middlesborough for that matter?) I was born at Harten Hospital in South Shields (although raised in Hampshire) and the distance to Sunderland looks no more than a few miles?

I usually play it safe and ask where someone comes from in the NE? I always like talking to people from there as I'm proud of my 'Geordie' roots - my Mum came from Jarrow. That's probably why I've got a soft spot for 'Fog on the Tyne', 'The Likely Lads' 'When the Boat Comes In' & 'The Animals' (but definitely NOT that Geordie 'reality' show on Foxtel. I tried to watch it because it was in Magalluf. It was almost like watching SBS - they even had 'sub-titles'.')

Come to think of it I'm sure there was a lady with that accent in the Bondi Icebergs club the other night. I'd have liked to ask her where she was from but she was sitting in a large group.

ps Who do Middlesborough fans support when NU plays S?