North and south,differences?

pablo

This is just me thinking out loud because me and Harpodom have a bit of banter and throw a few sweeping generalisations around about northers and southerners.(uk)

Do you think theres any REAL differences in mindset/attitude?

I dont really tbh,"maybe" ive found southerners a bit less outgoing,a bit less likely to engage a stranger in conversation in the pub kind of thing.

This is just my own experiences working in various parts of the country,London,quite a few areas from Harrow to Mayfair,Bristol and Bath,Reading etc.

In the city i come from the people are(in general)very outgoing,wear their heart on their sleeve,if we like yer were not embarrased to tell yer,probs the same in reverse as well:laugh:

To some we actually have a bit "too" much to say for ourselves,the playwright Alan Bennett once called us the norths cockneys,personally i'l take that as a compliment because east enders were the freindliest people i met in London.

So do you think we have little differences/traits? i know i wont be bothered about walking into a pub in Aus on my own and having the craic no matter how many other brits there is in there or not.

Also do you think where your from in the uk has any influence on how you settle and make freinds etc in Aus?:unsure:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tbh i didnt research him meself Naomi,but my uncle jimmy did,he came over here to get away from Italy because he was involved with Guiseppe Garibaldis failed coup or something so was safer here when it failed ,fugitive great grandfather moi!:rolleyes: :laugh:

Guest guest17301

Most of my friends here are Northerners with one or two exceptions. I find I am drawn to Northerners...maybe because we sound the same? I'm sensible enough to know that of course people are people wherever theyre from but if I were to generalise id say I find Northerners more down to earth and easier to relate to. (apart from the few Southerners who I know and love:wubclub::wink:)

I am from Birmingham, went to uni in Aberystwyth (pretty much due west of Brum) and then lived and worked in Cambridge (pretty much due east of Brum) until we left for Aus. So really I spent most of my life on the border between north and south.

To be honest I have never noticed any difference in the friendliness of those from the south or the north. Hubby is a southerner, he is lovely!

I think ability to settle is more likely to be the type of person you are. Hubby wanted the adventure, but his brother still lives in the same town that he was brought up in. More to do with personality maybe? We have always gone to different places on holiday, gone exploring and so on, whereas his brother always goes to pretty much the same place.

North versus South - is there really a divide or is it just between London & Manchester/Liverpool?

Coming from deepest Hampshire, Londoners may see us not as fellow southerners but yokels.

Do Geordies & Makems ally themselves with Manc/Scouse or do they regard them as southerners?

And where do Brummies fit into the mix?

North versus South - is there really a divide or is it just between London & Manchester/Liverpool?

Coming from deepest Hampshire, Londoners may see us not as fellow southerners but yokels.

Do Geordies & Makems ally themselves with Manc/Scouse or do they regard them as southerners?

And where do Brummies fit into the mix?

Well manc and scouse dont ally themselves:no::arghh::laugh:,but thats "in general",met loads of nice mancs on here:wubclub::wink:

Wouldnt have thought geordies class us as southerners "as such",but yeah of course we are south of them.

The midlanders one was something i meant to ask tbh?????

Ello Pabs,

Iv'e found over the years that there is a North Sarf divide,but the South bit always seemed to be London and surrounds only!Perhaps it has something to do with it being Englands first City.Beyond the Capital and further South I have found this not to be true!There has always been an affinity oop North between Scousers and Geordies,but i don't find that with areas down South strangely?Heres a wierd one for ya mate!Ive never met a bad Mancunian,only good sound people from Manchester!My missus worked in Bethnal Green for a year when we wuz a courtin',and i've never met such a fine set of good local people as the Eastenders,Love them.Love the Brummies too,and South Wales.I suppose it's all down to perceptions and misconceptions.People are people so why should it be!!!!:wink:

Guest guest37336

Hi mate.

As a general rule I would say northerners are more easy to talk to, something to do with 'community' I feel mate.

And this is from a southern softy,:embarrassed:. But to me it's far more dog eat dog down here, and bugger everyone else to a degree.

And this comes from someone who was TOTALLY ignored in a pub in Newcastle when I went up there for a graduation ceremony, my mate had to order for me. Now I realise that I have a strong London accent, and that 'can' rile some, but since my parents/brothers moved up north (North Yorkshire and Liverpool) I have come to the conclusion that in general northerners are more welcoming, and once again this comes from a fella who when giving a driving lesson up in Yorkshire and got into a slight argument with a fellow car driver was called a 'Cockney xxxx' and told to p7ss off.

Luckily they were not the norm, and I enjoy my time up north when I go.

Cheers Tony.

Ello Pabs,

Iv'e found over the years that there is a North Sarf divide,but the South bit always seemed to be London and surrounds only!Perhaps it has something to do with it being Englands first City.Beyond the Capital and further South I have found this not to be true!There has always been an affinity oop North between Scousers and Geordies,but i don't find that with areas down South strangely?Heres a wierd one for ya mate!Ive never met a bad Mancunian,only good sound people from Manchester!My missus worked in Bethnal Green for a year when we wuz a courtin',and i've never met such a fine set of good local people as the Eastenders,Love them.Love the Brummies too,and South Wales.I suppose it's all down to perceptions and misconceptions.People are people so why should it be!!!!:wink:

Think the manc thing is "in general" as i say mate,loads of nice specimens on here,Kate,Noodle etc,Paulv holds a lot of the same views i do on politics etc etc.

We used to work for a big northern bricklaying subbie,carried about 300 brickies,some were mancs obviously,i think a lot of it is man utd and LFC related tbh.

We worked for about 3 months on smithfields market in mcster,seen a few toolboxes with man utd sprayed on them etc and that was that,we ignored them,they ignored us:laugh:,so a lot of it is childish male machismo i think:embarrassed::wubclub:

The east enders were superb with us as well mate btw,then we had a weekend in one of me fav places bristol before we played the hammers in 06,mixed with all the cockneys in bristol no probs,then on the morning of the game we had a gigantic match against them,must have been about 500 a side with one ball! great craic:laugh:

So i agree,this thread ISNT about slagging anywhere off,just seeing do people think if different areas/cities have different traits,bit of generalising i know,but its not meant to be dead serious:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Well I'm from Stoke...what does that make me? I class myself as more northern than southern but strictly speaking i'm in the middle (Midlands)

Fi you will have to be a Middler:tongue:

Guest guest37336

Having said what I have said though Pablo, though I enjoy my time in the north immensely, scenery, and the like, I still enjoy the 'buzz' of London. I fully admit that the 'buzz' can annoy the hell out of me, and if I could ignore the morons who seem to want to stab you in the back it would be even better, but as you I am still very proud of the London I KNOW,:notworthy:.

But at times it is nice to getaway from it to a certain degree, but home is home after all Pablo, and no one should ever be ashamed to say that whilst they may not like certain aspects of their home town, it is still ingrained into most of us to a degree.

Cheers Tony.