Cost of Living - OZ = UK

Guest mitchscotland

Guest mitchscotland

Hi lm moving to Brisbane with my other half, although we looked at houses online we plan not to sell up in UK and wait until we are sure we want to be permanent in OZ. Looked at several sites on cost of living etc, some say its much the same others say its worse. Im expecting to be in Brisbane in October, getting little nervous, about living costs.

Cars seem way more expensive compared to what l drive here and what the cost is for same model.

i been offered a salary $120K which l think is average but lm not sure , plus i know i will get a tax free living away from home allowance until my visa expires or i take up full citizenship (457 visa)

Whats peoples thoughts ?

Thats a great salary. You would have no problems renting or buying a good property with that type of salary. Also if you partner works will be an added bonus for you.

You will find some things cheaper and some things more expensive. Like you have already observed - buying a car is more expensive in Oz. When buying a vehicle try and avoid imported models - such as european cars. Look at Oz brands such as Holden, Falcon ect - these are good cars and hold their value well. Heres a good car website www.carsales.com.au; also when looking at a car compare it on Redbook - that will give you an indication on the true market value of the car before parting with the cash:http://www.redbook.com.au/

Cars do keep their value quite well though, it's not like the UK where rolling off the forecourt halves the re-sale value. So while it's expensive to buy, means you'll get more back when you sell it on, works out in the long run, it's just a big expense upfront.

Edit to add: drive.com.au is also a pretty good site for looking at car costs.

Guest mitchscotland

yeah thanks , l think we try rent near my office hope my other half gets a job in the city. we just commute on public transport or walk, cycle, we moving for the lifestyle, weather , oppertunities, will miss Edinburgh though, but we cant think of better place to bring up our kids in future and have outdoor lifestyle with them than OZ

I would say car sales is the most popular website in Oz. Be weary of dealing with carl sales men and check any potential cars out of redbook before making an offer of purchasing anything. i can speak from expereince I got badly ripped off when I brought my first car here! Good luck!