You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

kasper5

Spider phobics

Im about to embark on a months tour of Sydney and Melbourne. I am dreading running into a huntsman spider. The funnelwebs are rare but are hazard to watch out for.

Am I likely to find a huntsman in my bedroom when I get out to the house Im staying at? Would I find one every week in the shower? Am I likely to have one crawling up my leg if I root through the garage!!

Im not scared of rebacks or whitetails but anything 15cm long is scary

I don;t think you get huntsmen in Melbourne. I've never seen one although my OH likes to scre me with tales of being woken up with one crawling on his face.

Also be careful of using the word 'root' here. Its means f**k!!

I'm Melbourne born and bred - I hate to tell you this , but i have Huntsmen spiders every week in my house , lol . My latest spider encounter , had me trapped inside the shower with it spreadeagled on the shower door . Oh , and it was HUGE and HAIRY !!!! Nothing some bug spray or a big book for crushing won't fix . Kirsty

In 3 years I've seen 3 huntsmen, 1 in the house, 1 on the roof of the car(!) and 1 in the garage.

You can find red backs galore just by lifting up a rock or paving slab

My Brain Hurts!

If you are staying in a house surround by trees, then you have a pretty good chance of coming face to face with a huntsman!! VILE CREATURES!!!!!!!

Love

Rudi

x

I wouldnt worry too much spiders are more scared of us than we are of them. I have only ever seen a few white tails inside. You are more likely to get them in country areas. They are not as common in urban areas. try not to think about it too much you will be surprised and rare it is to see them. I have lived in melbourne for almost 2 years - never seen a snake or a Huntsman!

Guest RichB

The only vile creature is you..if you dont like spiders dont live in australia as they have been around in australia alot longer than you....and instead of spraying insect killer around your house to kill all the horrible spiders, just catch it in a jar or something and release it in your garden..Oh and did you know that insecticide is carcinogenic, so probably not a good idea to spray inside your house...

I sometimes get a Huntsman in my unit in the centre of Sydney. I used to be terrified of it but now I just ignore it. I don't like killing insects. It is exceedingly unpleasant to walk into a web mind - cue a frantic attack of arms windmilling & screaming!

I don't think I've seen a Funnel Web spider. I know that they are very dangerous to humans but most Sydneysiders seem rather blase about them.

I'm more terrified of wasps - bees I like but not wasps.

Your be fine - seriously do not sweat about it. Its just part of living here and a very small part - most people hardly see them!

Don't worry about the huntsmen, they are harmless, it's the white tails which can cause a nasty bite to people who are inclined that way - I spent some time in emergency with someone who was bitten by one, but they were allergic and the bite flared up, and they needed antibiotics. The huntsmen eat little insects and things in the house, they don't hurt, the smaller black spiders (redback/whitetail) are the peskier ones, but the redbacks stay outside (wear gloves gardening) and the whitetails occasionally come into the house (get the vacuum cleaner to them !) I had some clothes lying in the laundry for a few days, and when I grabbed them from the floor a whitetail flew out - but as I said a bit might not hurt you unless you are inclined to react to bites (i.e like beestings). Don't worry about anything like that, but just be 'aware' and you'll be fine.

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

We are scared of spiders too and for that reason would not live in a queenslander type house - timber house elevated on stilts - because there might be spiders hiding under the floor and you might encounter them there. We live in a normal brick house and saw a big spider only once recently in the garage when we forgot to close the garage door in the evening. The locals love living in these timber queenslanders and don't give a damn about spiders.

Guest guest12791

Weve been here 16 week, seen 2 eastern brown snakes , 1 black snake yellow belly and seen two huntsmen along with centipedes and beetles, wish i would have been lucky enough not to see any, believe me they are here, still they didnt bother me i just walked on by

tad

Guest Coxy04

I think the point here may be to put things into persepective.......you will often get people with horror stories, but a lot depends on where you live and the type of property you live in.

For example, we lived in Queensland, at O'Reilly's guest house which is right on the edge of a rainforest, great for snakes and lots of old wooden cabins. I'm sure they were about, in lots of dark corners, but i can honestly say the only thing we saw was a massive harmless snake, no spiders. We may have been lucky. Oh and i have just remembered we did see a huntsman, but it was in the roof of a bbq hut, and did us no harm, just freaked us out when we spotted it as we packed up!

I am no spider fan, and they freak the heck out of me, but we have plenty of BIG spiders in the UK too.......maybe look at the statistics online for the last fatality from a spider bite in Oz, puts it back in real world. My 19yr old says as soon as she sees a spider in Oz, she's on 1st plane to UK! But she sees them all time here and doesn't jump on plane to another country! Chin up x

I guess its pre flight nerves. I actually wanted to do a spider awareness course at London Zoo where you can play with a large turantula. The course is booked up for months so I couldnt get on.

Ill be outside Sydney in the outer suburbs so I guess Ill see something. I wont be on a rundown farm or anything extreme.

The funny thing is, your not going to believe this but I have a huntsman in my bedroom preserved. Its in perspex. But when theyre alive and moving at 1 metre a second - thats diffferent. I guess Ill get used to it.

Guest robnnic
I guess its pre flight nerves. I actually wanted to do a spider awareness course at London Zoo where you can play with a large turantula. The course is booked up for months so I couldnt get on.

Ill be outside Sydney in the outer suburbs so I guess Ill see something. I wont be on a rundown farm or anything extreme.

The funny thing is, your not going to believe this but I have a huntsman in my bedroom preserved. Its in perspex. But when theyre alive and moving at 1 metre a second - thats diffferent. I guess Ill get used to it.

1 metre a second...are you for real or taking the mic...

Guest guest12791

Honestly i was so scared of spiders and snakes before i came, honestly dont be afraid, as my other half said, the animals prefer the bush and ferns not your home, its a tropical country and they are here but you will be fine. Ive never seen a huntsman move a metre a second???? and we live central brisbane, also just make sure your home is sprayed and then the risk is reduced, take it easy and ive met people who havent seen any snakes or spiders in twenty year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Nichola B

I have such a severe phobia of insects (I ended up in hospital for 2 days because of a severe panic attack from cockroaches when I was at uni!) panic attacks/ fainting are quite common feature when I have to face certain insects and the spider issue is pretty much the only thing that puts me off moving to OZ. I have seriously considered not going as a result of my phobia but reading this thread and the other insect thread I'm starting to feel a wee bit better about it. Im sure at some point I will faint and hyperventilatebut I cant help that and if I keep strong willed and rational about this move, I'm in no different a situation to what I'm in in the UK. Weather I'm in OZ or the UK I'm going to have a severe reaction to them. I'd rather faint in a place that I'm happy and living out my dreams then stuck in the UK miserable and bored.

Just catch it in a jar or something and release it in your garden..

Does anyone know where I can buy a jar big enough to put over a large huntsman?

Last time I ended up trying to use a cake dome cover was wide enough but wasn't really deep enough. Ideally I need a square jar rather than a round one to get a good angle, maybe like like an old fashioned sweet jar (lolly jar).