Explosion at Nuclear Plant France

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

PARIS: The French nuclear safety body and local authorities say an explosion has rocked the Marcoule nuclear plant in southern France.

It was not immediately clear how serious the accident was, or whether there were any victims or the potential for leaks.

Evangelia Petit of the Agency for Nuclear Safety said Monday an explosion had taken place but declined to provide any further details. Officials in the Gard region confirmed Monday’s explosion but also said they could not give any more information.

The Marcoule site is located in Langedoc Roussillon, in southern France, near the Mediterranean Sea.

Guest guest37336
PARIS: The French nuclear safety body and local authorities say an explosion has rocked the Marcoule nuclear plant in southern France.

It was not immediately clear how serious the accident was, or whether there were any victims or the potential for leaks.

Evangelia Petit of the Agency for Nuclear Safety said Monday an explosion had taken place but declined to provide any further details. Officials in the Gard region confirmed Monday’s explosion but also said they could not give any more information.

The Marcoule site is located in Langedoc Roussillon, in southern France, near the Mediterranean Sea.

Hi Kate.

I have been a long time advocate of nuclear power, my brother works in the industry and has been good enough to try and educate me, often a difficult job.:twitcy:

But with this form of power comes huge risks, regulation and constant checks are need, but to me it is the only path to take before we run out of resources.

Dons hat and ducks for cover, behind the 'BUNKER' literally,:shocked::embarrassed::biglaugh:

Guest littlesarah

I'm no physicist, but it seems to me that the ideal would be to generate power from fusion as well as from fission. If the reaction could occur in both directions, surely that would reduce the amount of waste produced? The disposal of nuclear waste is one of the main issues of nuclear power generation (I know there are other issues).

There are significant risks, just as mining carries risks (coal seam gas mining remains controversial), but it appears that France has managed the risks well over the life of their nuclear power programme. The issues in Japan may be to do with the age of the plant, and are of course associated with the pitfalls of using nuclear generators in an area with known earthquake risk.

Room for a littl'un in that bunker?!!