C&K or daycare

Guest Rachyj

Hi All

My 3 year old son is currently in daycare and we planned on keeping him there until he starts school in Jan 2013 as he seems pretty happy there. However, today I have had a phonecall offering him a place at the local C&K to start in Jan so Im wondering if we should move him. I never thought we would get a place for him in C&K as he was so far down on the list but I put his name down here anyway when we moved here to give us the option....

My question is, does anybody have any children that attends a C&K centre, and are they any better than a kindy in a daycare centre? The place he has been offered is at Manly C&K in Brisbane....

Thanks

Rach x

Can't help you with the Kinder but I know that my neighbour kept her daughter in daycare till she went to school, in fact she kept her back for another year from school and kept her at the centre mainly because she was very happy with what was being provided and her daughter was very happy. I guess your son is happy where he is so would he want to move and be happy if he did.

Hi Rach .... Can't really help with the comparison between daycare and kindy. I can, however, comment on Manly kindy as I have worked there on a casual basis. They have a very good reputation in the area and parents speak very highly of them. There is a wonderful family feel about the place and the teachers there are both well qualified and highly experienced. I would be very happy to send my child there .... The main issue I suppose - as previously mentioned - is if your son is happy, whether you would want to cause any unnecessary upheaval.

Hi Rach .... Can't really help with the comparison between daycare and kindy. I can, however, comment on Manly kindy as I have worked there on a casual basis. They have a very good reputation in the area and parents speak very highly of them. There is a wonderful family feel about the place and the teachers there are both well qualified and highly experienced. I would be very happy to send my child there .... The main issue I suppose - as previously mentioned - is if your son is happy, whether you would want to cause any unnecessary upheaval.

Hi myrtle

Thanks for this, so you worked at the Manly C&K then? Its a really difficult decision-I want him to get the best start possible education wise, but Im a bit nervous about moving him again as this is the second daycare he has attended since being in Oz due to us moving to Manly in Feb. He does adapt very easily, and doesnt seem particularly attatched to anybody. From your experience did many of the children from the Manly C&K end up going to Manly State school? Im wondering if the majority do, it may make it easier when he goes to school in 2013?

Thanks ever so much for your time, I need to let the C&K know by tom, and I dont want to waste the opp,

Rach x

Hi again Rach ...

Glad to help - I don't get time to get on here very often now so I'm glad I spotted this. Manly C & K is fab and the parents all seem to have a good relationship with each other too. I am currently working as a casual assistant while I finish my post-grad in education, so I have had a chance to peek behind the scenes. Believe me, I have worked in a few places where everything appears lovely on the surface but behind the scenes is very different. Manly C & K is warm and welcoming and the staff seem to go above and beyond for the parents. Interestingly though, I recently asked them the same question you asked me and was told that the children were completely spread in their transition to schools. It seems they go on to Manly state, Manly west and often Gumdale .... I would imagine that the daycare your son is currently in would be in a similar situation then?Never an easy decision! Good luck with your choice and shout if I can help with anything else :biggrin:

Hi again Rach ...

Glad to help - I don't get time to get on here very often now so I'm glad I spotted this. Manly C & K is fab and the parents all seem to have a good relationship with each other too. I am currently working as a casual assistant while I finish my post-grad in education, so I have had a chance to peek behind the scenes. Believe me, I have worked in a few places where everything appears lovely on the surface but behind the scenes is very different. Manly C & K is warm and welcoming and the staff seem to go above and beyond for the parents. Interestingly though, I recently asked them the same question you asked me and was told that the children were completely spread in their transition to schools. It seems they go on to Manly state, Manly west and often Gumdale .... I would imagine that the daycare your son is currently in would be in a similar situation then?Never an easy decision! Good luck with your choice and shout if I can help with anything else :biggrin:

Arrr, thanks for this info :-). I've actually just been to pick my son up from his daycare (he's at the Motherduck), and I actually asked what the main difference was in the 2 options. She was very lovely and said the main difference used to be the teaching qualifications (C&K higher), but she pointed out that they now have a qualified teacher in their preschool room, so she feels they are on par with each other now. Arrrrggghhhhh! Decisions decisions! Thanks once again for your feedback :-) x

Arrr, thanks for this info :-). I've actually just been to pick my son up from his daycare (he's at the Motherduck), and I actually asked what the main difference was in the 2 options. She was very lovely and said the main difference used to be the teaching qualifications (C&K higher), but she pointed out that they now have a qualified teacher in their preschool room, so she feels they are on par with each other now. Arrrrggghhhhh! Decisions decisions! Thanks once again for your feedback :-) x

Oh dear!! So it'll be a sleepless night for you tonight then!! If it helps ... So many people I know send their children to mother duck Manly and speak highly of it ... As I'm sure do you, if this is proving to be a tough call! Good luck anyway .. And go with the gut feeling x

Nothing is guaranteed but I found the c&k we used (Rosalie, Paddington) extremely good. And the one he almost attended at Red Hill seemed fantastic as well.

They usually have staff who have been at the centre longer and are university trained. The environment created in the centres is often excellent.

They use a formal play based curriculum and are there to teach the children through play rather than just child mind. Some are under the umbrella of the C&K association where others are independent community based centres. Because of this you will notice some centres offer long day care on top of the formal programme during school hours where others are just short school hours 2 or 3 days a week.

Well, Ive decided to leave him where he is after all-but thank you so much for the info! I am really happy with Motherduck and he's just started to make some really nice friends which I think is half the battle! We did plan on keeping him at Motherduck when we first enrolled him, but when I had that phonecall yesterday I was so torn as people speak so highly of C&K. However, I believe the new teacher they have got now in the pre-school room is of a similar standard to a C&K teacher, uni trained, 4 years experience in Europe so I dont think we'll be missing out in the long run. Thanks once again :-)