Moving to Melbourne

Brit Girl

Hi,

I'm a Children's Nurse who has been living in Perth for the last 19 months. I'm seriously thinking about moving to Melbourne from Perth as Perth is so dull for singletons. My question is has anyone moved there and now works at the Royal Children's Hospital and do they live nearby? Also is it cheaper to live there than Perth? I'd like some ideas on how to relocate as painlessly as possible but not sure where to start? Ideas and suggestions apreciated.

Debbie

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Debbie

I have never been to Perth so I can't comment, there is a lot going on in Melbourne but I would have thought the cost of living would be higher. There is plenty of nurses accommodation around Carlton which should be reasonably priced.

Are you thinking of moving your furniture or just yourself and a suitcase?

Hi,

thanks for your reply,suggestions and the Moving to Melbourne link. Carlton sounds like good plan to live as it'll be near the hospital and near other nurses/social life. Spoke to one of my colleagues today and she said her friend was finishing a grad programme and found Melbourne cheaper to live in regards to rent,living costs etc in comparison to Perth. I'll be moving with a car and 1 bedroomed housefull of furniture, clothes etc. Just need to start saving for the move and find a job there.

Thanks

Debbie:wideeyed:

Hi Debbie,

I worked at RCH many years ago, and commuted in from the 'burbs without a problem. Parking was rubbish then (and probably is now) but PT is easy. There's a tram right out front that's got a very frequent and regular service and it goes straight down to the city-loop trains (right past the Queen Vic Market too!) so you can get anywhere pretty easily.

North Melbourne will probably be cheaper than Carlton and has some lovely areas too!

The kids has a great atmosphere to work in - a really dedicated team :)

Hi Jo and John,

thanks for your email.Yes have heard from my clients/families that Melbourne's public transport is really convenient. So am debating whether to sell the car the car when I move. North Melbourne to live sounds good, especially if it's cheaper to live there. Yes I've heard good things about RCH and want to be part of a positive and progressive working enviroment. Just doing some tentative research at the moment.

Many Thanks for your thoughts

Debbie :radar:

It all depends on what you want outside of work too - there's lots to see and do outside of the city and having a car does make it easier to do stuff on a whim :) It all depends on what you want to do, what parking's like where you'll be living etc.

The new RCH looks brilliant from the website - I look forward to being able to see it for myself sometime soon :)

North Melbourne is a great place to live for the hospitals. My friend is a doc and he has an apartment there. He can fall out of bed and head over to the Royal Melbourne.

My daughter also lives around there. Nice apartments are more expensive of course. My daughter has a car but she leaves it at our place as its only street parking and being as she does not use it during the week no point in having it in the city.