breaking a rental lease????

Guest gail2010

Guest gail2010

We are 7 months into a 12 month rental agreement, we were rushed into takin this house as we were in paid for accomodation by my partners work, (which was awful!!!).

We really want a smaller house, but bigger garden and pool, we have seen a house we would like but worried about breaking our lease we dont know all the ins and outs of doing this! what happens to our bond etc, can anyone help.

We haven't decided this is what we will do just a thought!!

We are 7 months into a 12 month rental agreement, we were rushed into takin this house as we were in paid for accomodation by my partners work, (which was awful!!!).

We really want a smaller house, but bigger garden and pool, we have seen a house we would like but worried about breaking our lease we dont know all the ins and outs of doing this! what happens to our bond etc, can anyone help.

We haven't decided this is what we will do just a thought!!

breaking lease is very common over here gail ......the agency will readvertise it [they may charge u for this] and if they can find someone u will be allowed to break lease .....if not then u will have to pay ur weekly rent until they do ....best option would be to try and find someone urself to take it on ....as the agency wont be in a hurry to release if ur already paying the rent .....it wont make any diff to ur bond u will still get this back when u vacate ....if u still have 5 months to go then it could work out quite costly

mrs keily

Guest Guest31881

If you break lease then you are responsible for the rent up till either the property is rented to a new tenant or the lease reaches its end. So what you have to do is quite simple, but it can be expensive,

Inform Agent/landlord in writing that you wish to break the lease giving the date you will be leaving the rental

The agent will charge you for re-advertising the property (Normally a weeks rental as a fee).

The Agent has to activity advertise and try to get a new tenant, but they do not try to hard because they have money coming in anyway from you.

You can also look around yourself to try and find a new tenant.

You have to pay the rent up until the new tenant takes over or the lease ends naturally

Once the property is either re let or the tenancy reaches its end you should get your Bond back providing the house is clean and tidy and you have paid all the rent due to date.

Hi Gail,

We are 5 months into a 12 month rental agreement and we are breaking our lease. Our appartment starts advertising probably tomorow, I hope new tenants will be in place very quickly, as due to an emergency in our family we are leaving Australia in the end of the month.

I also have put my own ad at Gumtree to help agency a little http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAd?AdId=313119966&Guid=13256c10-7580-a20b-2766-cb77ffff38e3

After a few weeks i will update how this situation ended and how much this costed to us. If new tenants are not found in two weeks time, we will close our bank accounts and pay nothing-they can have our bond if they wish.

Good luck

Guest gail2010
Hi Gail,

We are 5 months into a 12 month rental agreement and we are breaking our lease. Our appartment starts advertising probably tomorow, I hope new tenants will be in place very quickly, as due to an emergency in our family we are leaving Australia in the end of the month.

I also have put my own ad at Gumtree to help agency a little http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-ViewAd?AdId=313119966&Guid=13256c10-7580-a20b-2766-cb77ffff38e3

After a few weeks i will update how this situation ended and how much this costed to us. If new tenants are not found in two weeks time, we will close our bank accounts and pay nothing-they can have our bond if they wish.

Good luck

Oh what a shame, hope it all works out!!! aussies like to squeeze every last penny out, its shame we have taken 12month lease!!!!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Gail, I'm not sure where you are but I know in Victoria if you break a lease and the agent isn't pro active in finding someone else you can take it to VCAT who will most probably rule in your favour and you won't have anything to pay.

If you break lease then you are responsible for the rent up till either the property is rented to a new tenant or the lease reaches its end. So what you have to do is quite simple, but it can be expensive,

Inform Agent/landlord in writing that you wish to break the lease giving the date you will be leaving the rental

The agent will charge you for re-advertising the property (Normally a weeks rental as a fee).

The Agent has to activity advertise and try to get a new tenant, but they do not try to hard because they have money coming in anyway from you.

You can also look around yourself to try and find a new tenant.

You have to pay the rent up until the new tenant takes over or the lease ends naturally

Once the property is either re let or the tenancy reaches its end you should get your Bond back providing the house is clean and tidy and you have paid all the rent due to date.

Is it possible to move out then go for the procedure for breaking the lease agreement, I will be moving to another state so I don't know how easy it will be to deal with the real estate agency.