and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest garden

Victoria Point/Wellington Point Area

Guest garden

Hi, I've been looking on this site for over 2 years, i've had loads of information to do with visa applications which was a great help, now my husband,myself and two kids, my son who's 15 and my daughter who is 12 have finally arrived in Brisbane :D our dilemma is we do not know which areas to move to, my husband has got a job in Carrina, but we want to live by the coast, we loved Victoria Point, Wellington Point, looked at Redland Bay, Raby Bay/Cleveland, can anyone give us any advice/guidance about these areas and your opinions on the state schools, this would be really helpful as were so confused.

thanks

Hi and welcome to Brisbane. They are all lovely area's and you have a tough choice. I cant comment on the schools as I dont have school age kids but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some advice. Have you thought of Wynnum/Manly/Lota area too. Not so much beach there but a lovey bayside area. Good luck with it all.

Lynne

Guest spadgersdad

Hi Garden.

We are located at Thornlands just outside Cleveland and Victoria Point, my advice is to look at http://www.ourbrisbane.com.au or http://www.redland.qld.gov.au they may give you the statistics of which the best schools are within the Redlands. We have had friends that have sent there children to Cleveland High School which have had fantastic results (they are excellent for music), also other friends that find Wellington Point High School excellent. I think it depends on personal choice and what each school offers that may meet your child's individual requirements.

Our Daughter attended Wellington Point Primary School and we were more than happy with the education she recieved.

Our advice is to visit the schools personally, see what facilities they have to offer and see if the curriculum meets your son/daughters requirements.

A very difficult decision to make but I always say "gut instinct" go with it!!!!!

Hi Garden

We also live in Thornlands!

Honestly - all the suburbs you have mentioned are lovely suburbs. Victoria Point and Redland Bay tend to give you a bit more for your money because they are that bit further out.

Locally all the state high schools seems to be well thought of. As Spagersdad says, Cleveland has a good reputation - as well as a good music programme, there is also a good sports programme there.

Wellington Point is also seems to be a very good high school.

I have heard good and bad about Victoria Point.

Look at Carmel College in Thornlands as well. It is fee paying, but the fees are quite low and the school is very good.

Please give me a shout if you need a chat or any more information about things. We love living in the bayside area!!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest garden
Hi Garden

We also live in Thornlands!

Honestly - all the suburbs you have mentioned are lovely suburbs. Victoria Point and Redland Bay tend to give you a bit more for your money because they are that bit further out.

Locally all the state high schools seems to be well thought of. As Spagersdad says, Cleveland has a good reputation - as well as a good music programme, there is also a good sports programme there.

Wellington Point is also seems to be a very good high school.

I have heard good and bad about Victoria Point.

Look at Carmel College in Thornlands as well. It is fee paying, but the fees are quite low and the school is very good.

Please give me a shout if you need a chat or any more information about things. We love living in the bayside area!!

Love

Rudi

x

Thanks so much for this , we are thinking vic point so hope the bad points are not too bad ?

My children are not at VP, so it's only hearsay! I had one friend that had her children there.......one of them ended up going right through the school and was really happy there, but she pulled the others out and sent them elsewhere because she was not happy.

Another friend has her children there and she has been happy with the school.

Another person I know said there is NO WAY she would send her children there...

BUT I could probably find people to say the same about any school!!! For example - Ormiston College is considered one of the top schools in Queensland, and yet I know a couple of people who have pulled their kids out of there, because they have not been happy. Same goes for Redlands college.

I would take a look around when you arrive and see if the school feels right for you.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest cosmicsis

Hi there,

We bought in Wellington Point about 9 months ago now. Have 2 kids (5&4) W.P State School is fab and since starting there my eldest has come on heaps and has never said that he doesn't want to go. But it also has the private schools if you prefer. Loads of activities and parks for the kids. It has a train station and we are within walking distance of that but prob pay more for housing than Vic point & Redland Bay because of that. I guess it depends on your lifestyle and if your work is in the city for instance and don't want to drive then perfect. It is 40 mins from the city by train (and they are frequent and run on time) but i would rather live here and have a longer commute than live nearer the city and not have the peace and quiet. The beach and scenery and sunrise/sets are just gorgeous. We still have to pinch ourselves that we live here now - so very lucky. Hope this helps. xxx

Guest guest113533

Hello Garden.

I live on Russell Island and go to Russell Island State school, sadly i'm graduating from there and i'm moving onto Victoria Point State High School, from what i know at the high school is that it's got 1000+ pupils, no lockers, Senior and Junior Students, Victoria Point have some good and bad news in residential areas, not far from the shopping center in 2015 around mid-year there was a shoot-out, i'm not sure if any died which is why i'm worried about being on a totally different island, Russell Island has a 1000+ community, it's peaceful and quiet, Bus route that goes to the State School on the island, and another earlier route around 7 am, then a boat, (Half an hour trip) and another bus, don't worry if you're late there's like 12 buses that go to the school.

and two kids
They'd probably find it nice at Russell Island.

Hope you have a lovely time. :smile::yes::ssign3:

-Detrioum