Just Lost My Best Mate.

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Unfortunately Bert the Bulldog lost his fight tonight. To cut a long story short, he was 18 months old but had a 'shunt' fitted as he had problems with fluid on his brain.

Had the fit from hell this evening and the vet couldn't save him.

I know there is a thread on here about pets, make the most of them folks, just lost my one and only true friend.:cry:

Sorry if this is not in context, but not the same typing away and not having Bert being a pain in the arse.

Cheers Tony.

bertIMG_0254.jpg

bertIMG_0254.jpg

Guest guest37336
Sorry to hear about Bert mate, you are right they are loyal, faithful, expect nothing and give unreseved love to their masters. Don't wait too long before you get another friend such as Bert was.

Hi mate.

We still have Pocket, a terrier cross corgi,:goofy: but the poor fella would have a fit around every six weeks like clock work, and was ;contained' with meds, but tonight it just went on and on, so no choice.

Sorry if I'm pi77ing anyone off, but he was HONESTLY my best mate, and it is so quiet now.

Still, he had a great 18 months, and for that I am very grateful indeed.

It's a bit of a cathartic thread for me, never been shy of posting personal stuff, but there's only so much my family can take of me wandering around looking lost.

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest37336
Aww thoughts are with you,

Remember the good times, he will always be by your side x

I've held it together until the family went to bed Dawny, (well nearly anyway) but just not the same without him around my legs whiole posting on PIO.

Oh Tony so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Losing a member of your family albeit a hairy one is damn hard.

I had to take two weeks off work when I lost my first dog. To this day I have never forgotten him and can't talk about him without welling up.

Animals bring such joy to our lives as you know, no matter how short or long their stay was. Sounds like you've done the best thing for your chap.

Our hearts are wonderful they will heal in time but never forget the love we felt.

Big hugs to you all xxx

Hi mate.

We still have Pocket, a terrier cross corgi,:goofy: but the poor fella would have a fit around every six weeks like clock work, and was ;contained' with meds, but tonight it just went on and on, so no choice.

Sorry if I'm pi77ing anyone off, but he was HONESTLY my best mate, and it is so quiet now.

Still, he had a great 18 months, and for that I am very grateful indeed.

It's a bit of a cathartic thread for me, never been shy of posting personal stuff, but there's only so much my family can take of me wandering around looking lost.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Tony, I do know the feeling mate, I used to work offshore and it was when I was there that our lovely rough Collie (Kelly) died, she too suffered a series of fits. I made the mistake of telling a few people and I was then bombarded by Tannoy anouncements with howling and coupons for dog food etc left on my desk. To say I was pissed off was an understatement.

My son has a Smithfield Blue Heeler here in Oz, great intelligent dog but she too has had a few fit's and the Vet has recomended she be de-sexed which they have done. Not sure what difference this will make but they love that dog dearly and at 6 years old it would devestate them should anything happen to her.

Alan.

Guest guest37336
very sorry to hear at pal, stevie

No worries Stevie.

Time and all that, and I have never been one to say that it is like losing a child, never. But all the same, it is a whole new atmosphere this end.

If you EVER see me say on here mate that we are going to get another dog, SHOOT ME.

Guest guest37336

Well, Im going to sign off for now, but just to say folks, I apologise if this is a downer, but you know me, never one to hold back on the more personal issues.

And I would just like to say this, if anyone ever says to me that this place is 'Just A Forum' I will scream, it has been and will be at times a saving grace for me,:notworthy:.

Nighty night folks, talk soon and a little prayer for Bertster wouldn't go amiss tonight, whoever your God is.

Guest Guest 47403
Unfortunately Bert the Bulldog lost his fight tonight. To cut a long story short, he was 18 months old but had a 'shunt' fitted as he had problems with fluid on his brain.

Had the fit from hell this evening and the vet couldn't save him.

I know there is a thread on here about pets, make the most of them folks, just lost my one and only true friend.:cry:

Sorry if this is not in context, but not the same typing away and not having Bert being a pain in the arse.

Cheers Tony.

Tone totally gutted for you mate, hope he gets all the bones he ever dreamt about in doggy heaven :wubclub:

Sorry to hear that Tony, we lost our Cat in June, she was 20 years old and we'd had her from being a kitten and before we had children. She'd been part of the family for all our milestones - much loved pets leave a hole behind when they're gone.

Guest The Pom Queen

Tony I'm really sorry for your loss, what you have to think is that poor Bert is now out of his suffering. You gave him the best 18 months of his life there is nothing you wouldn't do for him. It's now time to let him play at Rainbow Bridge with all the others.

I'm not sure if you have heard how wonderful life at Rainbow Bridge is but here is the Rainbow Bridge poem.

'There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent; her eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.'

Tony what people fail to realise is that our pets are part of the family we have the same grieving process as we would if a family member passed away.

Lots and lots of hugs to you, Ruth and the girls. I will leave you with another poem.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

and pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this--the last battle--can't be won.

You will be sad I understand,

Don't let grief then stay your hand,

For on this day, more than the rest,

Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,

What is to come can hold no fears

You'd not want me to suffer, so.

When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me til the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree

it is a kindness you do to me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I have been saved.

Don't grieve that it must be you

Who has to decide this thing to do;

We've been so close--we two--these years,

Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Guest Guest16631

:hug:..............so sorry to read your news...................not much I can say only that I'm sure he had awonderful life with you......and sometimes you have to let them go ................hope the little poem helps ..........its was sent to me when I had to take a friend for her last visit to the vet..............I do believe animals have souls.............and he will live on through your memories....................thoughts are with you......................tink x

You're giving me a special gift,

So sorrowfully endowed,

And through these last few cherished days,

Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing

When your best friend is in pain,

And understanding earthly acts

Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,

Beyond, into your soul,

I see in you the magic, that will

Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,

Is why I look to you today,

To do this thing that must be done,

For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,

And chose you as my friend,

And why I've loved you all this time..

My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,

You're giving, means to me,

It gives me back the strength I've lost,

And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,

For that is what friends do.

And know that what you do is right,

For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,

And through your hand I feel,

The courage that's within you,

To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,

Dear friend, and let me run,

Once more a strong and steady dog,

My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,

For I won't be far away,

Forever here, within your heart,

And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,

Your ever faithful friend,

And in your memories I'll run,

...a healthy dog once again...................

:hug::hug::hug: