Employment Issue

OzzHammer

Hi there,Wife of OzzHammer here,we have finally made the decision to move back to UK after being here in Oz 7years,my o/h has a really good secure well paid job here,with good bonuses,perks etc.He has been in the car industry forever & thats all he knows,worked at dealers in uk,but here works at a h/office.

The plan was for us to literally sell the house & all go home together & for him to get job once we are back,but the general feeling from friends & family is not to do that & for him to come back first to secure a job because of the employment state the way it is right now in the uk.

At the same time though if we do all go back & he cant get a job - then what do we do,plus we have a dog that will cost around $4.500 to take home.I feel so helpless as its totally down to my o/h to make this work as he is the main income.

I would love for him to just get a job transfer,but for a number of reasons thats not an option,1,the obvious he would be telling his employee that he wants to leave & 2,if they cant do that they already know that he trying to get another job, we also need to take alot of factors into account like the current salaries being offered because of the financial chrisis

Any help or advice very much appreciated :arghh:

Sounds like a difficult dilemma. I guess you have exhausted all options about staying as it sounds like you really want to go back. If you go back your husband may have to take a lower position and have heard the economy and recession is very bad over there! Sorry I cannot be much help and good luck with everything!

It's difficult, we're kinda in the same boat, but despite all the doom and gloom large parts of the U.K still have fairly low unemployment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

everyone will be in a different situation, so we all have to make our own decisions, but we're going without sorting out work before we get there, we are going to take enough funds to survive a year I feel pretty confident we'll both be working before the year is up, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Just a little story so you know you aren't alone. We left Italy in 2009 afer 15 years and returned to UK (my home) because my husband was made redundant. He was offered a job in UK but had to take a 45% wage cut.... Luckily I soon found a well paid job and with both our salaries we had a reasonable income.

The UK company then folded (we are not lucky), he got offered the present position in Sydney and here we are. This time husband's wage is back on par, but I don't have a job! So, it all swings and roundabouts.

I think you have already made the decision to head home to UK... perhaps your husband could start making some enquiries in the UK with dealers, make some contacts, is there someone at home who could give you a hand doing this? I too would feel most comfortable if he had secured a job first before you all up sticks and leave. I think there is work in the UK but as there is a bit less work it might have become a bit more aggressive as a market. Therefore age will be a factor to consider, the pay might not be what you are looking for etc. May have to make some compromises if the return is really what you want.

As for the dog, yes, agree he/she can't stay behind!! If you do have to leave quickly and have not organised or can't afford for the dog to go right away could you find someone who fosters dogs, a shelter or home who I am sure would be able to help out. If I didn't have 3 cats I would be willing to look after for you until you got sorted out!!

Good luck xxx

Hi there,Wife of OzzHammer here,we have finally made the decision to move back to UK after being here in Oz 7years,my o/h has a really good secure well paid job here,with good bonuses,perks etc.He has been in the car industry forever & thats all he knows,worked at dealers in uk,but here works at a h/office.

The plan was for us to literally sell the house & all go home together & for him to get job once we are back,but the general feeling from friends & family is not to do that & for him to come back first to secure a job because of the employment state the way it is right now in the uk.

At the same time though if we do all go back & he cant get a job - then what do we do,plus we have a dog that will cost around $4.500 to take home.I feel so helpless as its totally down to my o/h to make this work as he is the main income.

I would love for him to just get a job transfer,but for a number of reasons thats not an option,1,the obvious he would be telling his employee that he wants to leave & 2,if they cant do that they already know that he trying to get another job, we also need to take alot of factors into account like the current salaries being offered because of the financial chrisis

Any help or advice very much appreciated :arghh:

I suggest your OH taps his old contacts for some good information on the opportunities in his area. Friends and family may well be commenting on general matters, which is fine, but not much use to you.

Hi

We have just returned to the UK 6 weeks ago. We made the decision to leave knowing the job market wasn't great but still feeling quite confident about work. Unfortunately, the job market is awful here, my husband works in IT and has been advised that there is very little work about other than in the South East. I am looking for something part time and there hasn't been one job I could apply for. We both had decent jobs in Oz so we both feel a bit deflated at the moment!

If your husband has still got work contacts in the UK it would be worth contacting them you give you a better idea.

Good luck

Sheila

Guest Guest 47403
Hi

We have just returned to the UK 6 weeks ago. We made the decision to leave knowing the job market wasn't great but still feeling quite confident about work. Unfortunately, the job market is awful here, my husband works in IT and has been advised that there is very little work about other than in the South East. I am looking for something part time and there hasn't been one job I could apply for. We both had decent jobs in Oz so we both feel a bit deflated at the moment!

If your husband has still got work contacts in the UK it would be worth contacting them you give you a better idea.

Good luck

Sheila

Sheila what type of roles is your hubby looking for?

Guest Taffinoz

It's not all about the cash you know...

We love it here and are soo happy to be back.

Going without rain for 20 months in the North West is a really big deal...believe me, they were dancing in the streets (literally) when the rains came!

:smile: