Racism in Sydney??

Cruz

I really hate to start threads off on a negative, but this is something Ive been meaning to ask for a while, so thought I could air my concerns here, and get honest responses.

I'm hoping to head over to Sydney (Bondi) pretty soon for a few months on a holiday working visa.

I'm an outgoing 25 year old black dude from the Uk, and my GF is white (from the UK also).

She has been out in Sydney for a few weeks, and simply loves the place. Her older bro and sis are also living at there and love the place too.

As much as I want to head over and join her, I can't overlook some of the horror stories I have read about black people encountering racism over in Australia.

I very good friend of mine who lived over in Sydney for 30 years said I'll love it out there, and I'll get on like a house on fire with the ozzies because of the honest, genuine person I am.

She said that australias are very upfront about their views, and where as people over here in the uk would whisper things about you behind you're back, an Australian person is most likely to tell you their thoughts in person.

So my question is, should I expect to encounter any racism being black in Sydney or other nearby cities I may travel to? (especially being in a mixed race relationship over there?)

I'm also concerned about finding work due to racism?

Apologies if I have offended anyone here, its just that so many people have tried to put me off going, but I'd really like to come over and experience Australia for a few months.

As I said, I'm an easy going guy who has friends of all races, origins and genders, and pretty much get along with everyone:)

Thanks a lot for any input on this.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll be fine, Aussies love a wind up, I've often been called a Pommie this or that or English this or that, but I have always found it to be just bit of fun, they love it when you give it back, bunch of convicts, can't play cricket and so on, unfortunately some British people get a bit precious and take it as an insult but 99.9% of the time it won't be intended that way, the other thing is people over here aren't so crippled with inhibitions when it comes to describing someone, so someone may mention you as that black guy, but it would be done in the same way as saying that tall guy or the girl with blond hair, people are often surprised to hear Australians refer to someone as a Paki, but it truly has no racial connotation, it's just an abbreviation of Pakistani, you may be unlucky and meet the odd dickhead, but that could happen anywhere.

One of the Spurs fans I know is a black guy from London and he loves it here. I did once ask him why he left England to come here and he was scornful. 'Have you been back there lately?' I think I would be embarrassed to ask him if he has experienced any racism here.

I don't think you'll notice any difference between here and the UK. Sydney is probably as multi-cultural as London and there are always some problems but I think they get blown up out of proportion.

I was really shocked to hear the term 'wog' a few times. Apparently it refers to people from the Middle East or Med. I also heard derogatory comments about Chinese restaurants / bakeries. I think this was based on assumptions about food hygiene.

Wog means something quite different in Australia and doesn't have the same connotations as the UK word. Wog Boy 1 & 2 are main stream films here...

Cruz

To be honest, racism is everywhere. I am extremely close to a mixed couple. He's white Aussie, she's black West Indian heritage by way of London and they get on like a house on fire. Totally accepted by family and friends. And I've asked her if she has encountered any problems and the answer is NO.

Biggest problem for her is getting any type of good ol' Jamaican food! But she's working on that!

Get over here, join in, work hard and you'll find most times you wonder what you worried about. There is a lot of African culture here in the smaller towns, so that's a start.

Lots of black people in Perth - with many being students. Much more accessibility for Black people i.e. food, hair.

You'll be fine, Aussies love a wind up, I've often been called a Pommie this or that or English this or that, but I have always found it to be just bit of fun, they love it when you give it back, bunch of convicts, can't play cricket and so on, unfortunately some British people get a bit precious and take it as an insult but 99.9% of the time it won't be intended that way, the other thing is people over here aren't so crippled with inhibitions when it comes to describing someone, so someone may mention you as that black guy, but it would be done in the same way as saying that tall guy or the girl with blond hair, people are often surprised to hear Australians refer to someone as a Paki, but it truly has no racial connotation, it's just an abbreviation of Pakistani, you may be unlucky and meet the odd dickhead, but that could happen anywhere.

Its funny you say that i.e. being referred to as the black guy. I never see no issues with this at all, but I often find some people a lil hesitant and call us coloured instead of black. I HATE being reffered to as coloured. So if they refe to me as black, I'll be cool:).

Fingers crossed I don't come across any dickheads though. I'd hate to have my experience runined by some small minded idiot.

One of the Spurs fans I know is a black guy from London and he loves it here. I did once ask him why he left England to come here and he was scornful. 'Have you been back there lately?' I think I would be embarrassed to ask him if he has experienced any racism here.

I don't think you'll notice any difference between here and the UK. Sydney is probably as multi-cultural as London and there are always some problems but I think they get blown up out of proportion.

Great to know there are other black UK Brits out there, that are loving it.

Do you and your black colleague work in Sydney?

I was really shocked to hear the term 'wog' a few times. Apparently it refers to people from the Middle East or Med. I also heard derogatory comments about Chinese restaurants / bakeries. I think this was based on assumptions about food hygiene.

Wog means something quite different in Australia and doesn't have the same connotations as the UK word. Wog Boy 1 & 2 are main stream films here...

Interesting info about the word Wog and how the connotation differs between the UK and Australia.

Cruz

To be honest, racism is everywhere. I am extremely close to a mixed couple. He's white Aussie, she's black West Indian heritage by way of London and they get on like a house on fire. Totally accepted by family and friends. And I've asked her if she has encountered any problems and the answer is NO.

Biggest problem for her is getting any type of good ol' Jamaican food! But she's working on that!

Get over here, join in, work hard and you'll find most times you wonder what you worried about. There is a lot of African culture here in the smaller towns, so that's a start.

Lots of black people in Perth - with many being students. Much more accessibility for Black people i.e. food, hair.

Thanks for posting BrownEyedGal.

I agree, racism is everywhere....we can't help that.

Do this couple live in Sydney or Perth?

lol @ Jamaican food. I know exactly how she feels. Man am I going to miss this when I leave the UK.

I found this place on the gold coast which is meant to be really good.

http://www.shi-lohjamaican.com/

Yeah I noticed that about the African culture, when I was carrying out some research into Oz yesterday.....I was really shocked...but at the same time impressed, especially with the growing Afican music scene over there:). Really looking forward to attending some music festivals out there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm seriously looking forward to seeing and experiencing all the different cultures etc oz has to offer, but I guess its always nice to be able to relate to culture from back home.

I've lived in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. The other posters are right, in the cities there are people from many races and countries. Out in the bush or some small towns most non-aboriginal people are white, I think at worst you'd get a look but I very much doubt anyone would have a go - Aussies aren't British trash.

Guest bacardi167
I really hate to start threads off on a negative, but this is something Ive been meaning to ask for a while, so thought I could air my concerns here, and get honest responses.

I'm hoping to head over to Sydney (Bondi) pretty soon for a few months on a holiday working visa.

I'm an outgoing 25 year old black dude from the Uk, and my GF is white (from the UK also).

She has been out in Sydney for a few weeks, and simply loves the place. Her older bro and sis are also living at there and love the place too.

As much as I want to head over and join her, I can't overlook some of the horror stories I have read about black people encountering racism over in Australia.

I very good friend of mine who lived over in Sydney for 30 years said I'll love it out there, and I'll get on like a house on fire with the ozzies because of the honest, genuine person I am.

She said that australias are very upfront about their views, and where as people over here in the uk would whisper things about you behind you're back, an Australian person is most likely to tell you their thoughts in person.

So my question is, should I expect to encounter any racism being black in Sydney or other nearby cities I may travel to? (especially being in a mixed race relationship over there?)

I'm also concerned about finding work due to racism?

Apologies if I have offended anyone here, its just that so many people have tried to put me off going, but I'd really like to come over and experience Australia for a few months.

As I said, I'm an easy going guy who has friends of all races, origins and genders, and pretty much get along with everyone:)

Thanks a lot for any input on this.

Cruz,

im of mixed race (Grenadian and english) and have been in Brisbane for 2 years.....

To be honest...you willl encoiunter some form of racism but that is not because they are racist...its because aussies have a diffrent outlook on race...

For example...greeks and italians call them selves wogs and are proud of it !!!

Mate if you are willing to mix in, graft and give as good as you get, then you will get on just fine....

i grew up in London in the 70's so there is nothing racist any aussie can can say that i havent heard before or got an answer for...

Make sure you're up with you're history and polotics with regards to Australia and you can run riot over here....!!

its a fantastic place mate as long as tyou realise you are new and have to prove yourself......

Aussies are very confrontational in the way they deal with people, but if you can give as good as you get, they will love you....!!

It really is still a land of opportunity and if you have something to offer then you will have no problems over here what-so-ever !!

Come with an open mind and enjoy yourself.......!!

Its worth keeping in mind that it is a different culture here in spite of the many similarities. I found it quite shocking that one of best selling brands of cheese is called 'COON" and was surprised to see golliwogs on sale in the shopping malls!

I can't bring myself to buy the cheese but am quite pleased to see that there isn't quite the same up your own @rse PC'ness surrounding a child's toy! :wink:

Guest bacardi167
Its worth keeping in mind that it is a different culture here in spite of the many similarities. I found it quite shocking that one of best selling brands of cheese is called 'COON" and was surprised to see golliwogs on sale in the shopping malls!

I can't bring myself to buy the cheese but am quite pleased to see that there isn't quite the same up your own @rse PC'ness surrounding a child's toy! :wink:

Well said...aint bought it myself either...BUT...still having a good time !!

At about 9.30 most nights, Leonidas Giannopoulos would call it quits. The milk bar he ran closed at 10, but for the final half-hour, his son Nick, then aged about nine, was left in charge. A weary Leonidas would cross the road to the All Nations Hotel in Richmond, in the heart of working-class Melbourne, and have a drink.

Back at the milk bar, Nick – standing on a milk crate so he could reach the cash register – had the run of the place. He was happy wearing the boss’ hat: handling large notes, counting out change, balancing the till, tracking the ups and downs in the day’s takings – even filling in cheques for his dad, who spoke English OK but struggled writing it. Father and son, by love and necessity, were partners. Nick Giannopoulos the businessman was born.

But there was more to life at the milk bar – it was the family’s second; the first, in Fitzroy, was destroyed by fire – than just bloody hard work. Nick was also witness to the comedy and drama of 1970s Australia: the eccentric local characters, the breezy debates between neighbours, the alienating footy tribalism, the dry humour that pricked, with exacting precision, any displays of conceit or affectation. There was another, darker Australia, and Nick saw that, too. “I used to watch my dad giving away food for nothing to people, because their cheque hadn’t come through, or they had lost it all at the TAB,” Giannopoulos remembers. “I got to see people struggling. And I got to see people, whether they were Vietnamese or Turkish or Greek, being abused and victimised.”

So Nick the businessman became the artist as a young man – a comic entertainer, a broad-smiling champion of the country’s wogs and underdogs. The role suited Giannopoulos perfectly, like a favourite black T-shirt. With his combination of talents – a creative mind plus business smarts – success followed success: four long-running stage shows (all with the word “wog” proudly in the title), five years of the top-rating sitcom Acropolis Now and, of course, a movie, The Wog Boy, which took an incredible $12m at the local box-office.

Thanks again for all the replies guys.

I've lived in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. The other posters are right, in the cities there are people from many races and countries. Out in the bush or some small towns most non-aboriginal people are white, I think at worst you'd get a look but I very much doubt anyone would have a go - Aussies aren't British trash.

Hi Simon. Are you a BME if you don't mind me asking? Also out of all the cities you have listed, which one did you prefer the most?

Thanks

Hi Harpersgirl,

WOW.....Coons Cheese....I nearly choked on my coke when I read that. I think I would have had the shock of my life too if I saw that on the supermaket shelves.

Glad to know it was named after someone and has no racial overtones though:)

Cruz,

im of mixed race (Grenadian and english) and have been in Brisbane for 2 years.....

To be honest...you willl encoiunter some form of racism but that is not because they are racist...its because aussies have a diffrent outlook on race...

For example...greeks and italians call them selves wogs and are proud of it !!!

Mate if you are willing to mix in, graft and give as good as you get, then you will get on just fine....

i grew up in London in the 70's so there is nothing racist any aussie can can say that i havent heard before or got an answer for...

Make sure you're up with you're history and polotics with regards to Australia and you can run riot over here....!!

its a fantastic place mate as long as tyou realise you are new and have to prove yourself......

Aussies are very confrontational in the way they deal with people, but if you can give as good as you get, they will love you....!!

It really is still a land of opportunity and if you have something to offer then you will have no problems over here what-so-ever !!

Come with an open mind and enjoy yourself.......!!

Hi bacardi167,

I'm definitely willing to mix, and get into employment over in oz as soon as I touch down.

My Uncles have told me some of their stories about growing up in London and Manchester in the can totally sympthasise with you on that....if you can deal with that form of racism, that anything else is pretty much a walk in the park.

Can you explain more in regards to what you said about knowing the history/politics of the country? My knowledge is limited right now about Australias history, but I have read up on it a little.

ps - did you find it easy to find work when you arrived?

Guest bacardi167

Hey Cruz,

In answer to your post, then honestly....NO..i didnt find it easy trying to get work over here.

australians employ mainly Australians and thats fair enough if they were the best but it doesnt work like that.

all those qualifications you may have will count for jack and you'll have to prove yourself again. this was not a colour thing.but and english thing....my misus (white) has had the same problem....

Lust be prepared to attend many interviews and eventually you will get lucky..thing is..as workers..Aussies appear to be generaly lazy ( only based on the last 60+ staff i have interviedand employed) so if you can do your job well, then you'll make a lot of money.....

Simple as that...all i ever wanted was a chance to be put in the position of having to do my job and be judged on my results.....i now earn a comfortable wage and have no complaints....

dont come and try to blag it, because you will get found out very quickly...and the sacking will not be very cerimonious....

As for the history bit....catch up on general history regarding the royal family and AUS, general poltics etc....

Loads of aussies will tell you they hate the roayl family and what do they do etc.....as long as you are armed with the info that :

1. Queensland is named after THIER and our queen

2.our union jack is still on thier flag

3. they had a referendum about leaving the commonwealth / attachment with the queen only 4 years ago..and voted in a majority to stay under Lizzie......

stuff like this in an argument generally shuts up members of a very under-educated race with no class, manners or breeding......(that should set them off !)

Bottom line is; if you can live in the UK...you can easily survive here........

Come try it....its fun.....remember

If you dont try...you dont know !!:v_SPIN:

3. they had a referendum about leaving the commonwealth / attachment with the queen only 4 years ago..and voted in a majority to stay under Lizzie......

stuff like this in an argument generally shuts up members of a very under-educated race with no class, manners or breeding......(that should set them off !)

:biggrin: bacardi167 you're right, that list would definitely shut me up...queensland named after the queen, never....the union jack is on our flag, surely not...we were voting to leave the commonwealth, huh?...the republic referendum held last millennium was actually 4 years ago...I would be silent and dumbfounded by this stage :laugh::wubclub:

:biggrin: bacardi167 you're right, that list would definitely shut me up...queensland named after the queen, never....the union jack is on our flag, surely not...we were voting to leave the commonwealth, huh?...the republic referendum held last millennium was actually 4 years ago...I would be silent and dumbfounded by this stage :laugh::wubclub:

I think Queensland, was named after Victoria?? Actually, I don't know if that is right? Adelaide was named after William IV?'s Queen? Or was it George IV? Or neither?

The referendum was about becoming a republic although I don't doubt had the republicans won, another one on changing the flag would have followed.

I don't know if there is any momentum to hold new referendums at the moment.

Just take an interest in Aussie news, current affairs & sport.

Hey Cruz,

In answer to your post, then honestly....NO..i didnt find it easy trying to get work over here.

australians employ mainly Australians and thats fair enough if they were the best but it doesnt work like that.

all those qualifications you may have will count for jack and you'll have to prove yourself again. this was not a colour thing.but and english thing....my misus (white) has had the same problem....

Lust be prepared to attend many interviews and eventually you will get lucky..thing is..as workers..Aussies appear to be generaly lazy ( only based on the last 60+ staff i have interviedand employed) so if you can do your job well, then you'll make a lot of money.....

Simple as that...all i ever wanted was a chance to be put in the position of having to do my job and be judged on my results.....i now earn a comfortable wage and have no complaints....

dont come and try to blag it, because you will get found out very quickly...and the sacking will not be very cerimonious....

As for the history bit....catch up on general history regarding the royal family and AUS, general poltics etc....

Loads of aussies will tell you they hate the roayl family and what do they do etc.....as long as you are armed with the info that :

Bottom line is; if you can live in the UK...you can easily survive here........

Come try it....its fun.....remember

If you dont try...you dont know !!:v_SPIN:

Hey bacardi167,

My girlfriend found work in oz literally within days of being there. However I think its because she was recommended by a friend of hers who works for the company.

My partner says this happens alot over there in Oz from what she has seen so far i.e. people are very helpful when it comes to helping you find employment?

Although I wanted to carry on with my Youth/Support work while I'm out there, I'm thinking maybe I should be slightly more vague when applying for my visa, so I will have a better chance of finding a job in other areas, rather than a specific field of work...what dyou think?

One my thing. We're planning on doing some travelling while over there, and Darwin is one of the places we'll be staying. Have you ever been there before?

ps -Thanks a million for all your input so far...especially on the UK/Oz history:)