BritChick and Pommypauls Travels

BritChickx

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the tan is slowly but surely getting there lol. Except I can't sunbathe as i have a rash on my back :( it's not like I can go to a doctor to get it checked out!

Didn't see any Penguins, but there is also a penguin feeding session twice a day which we didn't get to see, you pay for that I think.

Guest juliemtaylor

fab pics and map, loving your travels.. one day I hope to do that too..

Get in the sea more and I bet your rash will clear up!

Julie x

ok i'm sure you're getting bored of these updates by now but heres a few new piccies from our latest adventures :)

we've been to mount gambier sa for the last couple of nights exploring, the extinct volcanoes, seeing some stormy weather and sinkholes/collapsed cave... its been great fun apart from the weather being abit wet boooooooooo!

soooo onto the pics and science lesson lol

bluelake.jpg

Picture from the net of the lake at its fullest blue of blue moments!...... and the science behind it.

The following is from WIKIPEDIA

"The exact cause of this phenomenon is still a matter of conjecture, but it is generally considered likely that it revolves around the warming of the surface layers of the lake during the summer months to around 20 degrees °C, causing calcium carbonate to precipitate out of solution and enabling micro-crystallites of calcium carbonate to form. This results in scatter of the blue wavelengths of sunlight. During winter the lake becomes well mixed, and recent research indicates that during this phase of the colour cycle the lake is somewhat murkier due to the redistribution of tannins and calcium carbonate particles throughout the lake. Solar elevation has also been found to influence the perceived colour of the lake. The movement of planktonic life-forms within the lake during the seasons and during the day may additionally play a part in the colour change"

IMG01769-20111015-1236.jpg

IMG01755-20111015-1032.jpg

Our pics :)

DSCN1908.jpg

IMG01775-20111015-1320.jpg

Then we climbed australias youngest volcano (poor little buggers only like 4500 years old ahhhhhh).... was an awesome view from the top

IMG01782-20111015-1415.jpg

IMG01785-20111015-1417.jpg

Umpherston Sinkhole, also known, as The Sunken Garden was once a cave formed through dissolution of the limestone. The sinkhole was created when the top of the chamber collapsed downwards. Now the topsoil down on the floor of the cave forms the perfect environment for the sunken garden.

Originally beautified by James Umpherston around 1886, the sinkhole is open at all times and from dusk each evening the area comes alive with possums as they venture into the floodlit gardens to feed.

The geological processes that have created the sinkholes in the region inspired the sculpture at Umpherston.

A large undercover shelter with group settings for around fifty people and free barbeque are provided.

IMG01743-20111014-1159.jpg

and finally the damn pooh weather thats been chasing us from wa all the way to east of adelaide... must admit though this storm front looked amazing, its something that really fascinates me!!!

Next stop the Great Ocean Road :D:D

really....? did you know each other in the uk ....or has love blossomed on your travels ...well done both of ya.........:yes::wubclub:

we met on here about a year ago, chatted through pm's then became facebook buddies, then started calling each other on the phone and finally we met up in Perth when stacy landed here.... we've been living and travelling together ever since :D

Guest The Pom Queen
Ah the tan is slowly but surely getting there lol. Except I can't sunbathe as i have a rash on my back :( it's not like I can go to a doctor to get it checked out!

Didn't see any Penguins, but there is also a penguin feeding session twice a day which we didn't get to see, you pay for that I think.

Why can't you see a Dr?

Guest The Pom Queen

Paul if you are interested in storms get up here for the cyclone season.

Great photos and I don't think we could ever get bored of them.

we met on here about a year ago, chatted through pm's then became facebook buddies, then started calling each other on the phone and finally we met up in Perth when stacy landed here.... we've been living and travelling together ever since :D

Aww thats really sweet. :wubclub: I am glad everything is working out for the pair of you :biggrin:! Keep enjoying your travels, I have enjoyed looking at the pictures posted!

Guest The Pom Queen
Don't have a medicare card, not been in one place long enough to get one. And don't want to pay the full amount. In the mean time i'm scared to put my back in the sun :sad:

Well keep an eye on it, you don't want it spreading. You can always use my address if you want to apply for one.

Well keep an eye on it, you don't want it spreading. You can always use my address if you want to apply for one.

Thanks Kate, much appreciated! I've had it for over 2 weeks now, tried to self diagnose online lol and might know what it is but i'll wait a bit longer to see if it goes by itself. Anyway that's enough about my health lol.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks Kate, much appreciated! I've had it for over 2 weeks now, tried to self diagnose online lol and might know what it is but i'll wait a bit longer to see if it goes by itself. Anyway that's enough about my health lol.

Well just shout if you need my address. :wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
will do :) ps thanks to those who are taking the time to look at our thread :)

You have had 5374 views so it looks as though you have a lot of interest. Even if we are all jealous:wubclub:

Guest guest59177

OMG!!!! The wonders on this site refuse to end!!! Great thread BritChickx and PommyPaul!!!! That's one heckuvan adventure you guys are having. Have fun and keep the pics coming!!!

Omg! The Great Ocean Road is....Great :P. We spent yesterday and Sunday exploring the road, stopping at all the sights we could see. The Apostles were great but admittedly the rest of the road was just as good, such as London Bridge, The Arch, Gibsons Steps and many more things. The best part of it was the helicopter ride over the Apostles! Fantastic! It was just me and Paul and the pilot, it was a ten minute ride going from the Apostles to Port Campbell and back, pretty sure we were in air for longer than ten mins though!! :) it's definately a must do! Check out the pictures :)

DSCN1984600x800.jpg

The Grotto

DSCN2023800x600.jpg

DSCN1990800x600.jpg

London Bridge....sadly half of it fell down!

DSCN2029800x600.jpg

The Apostles...well some of them! Did you know there were originally 14? 2 fell down at least half a century ago, they got the name Apostles after Jesus' 12 deciples.

DSCN2051800x600.jpg

Us before take off!

DSCN2070600x800.jpg

View of the Apostles from the air.

DSCN2075800x600.jpg

after the flight :D looking pleased with ourselves lol.

DSCN2089800x600.jpg

View of an Apostle from the beach after walking down the Gibsons Steps.