Qld Primary Schools Results - do we need to go private

Guest JacquiG

Guest JacquiG

Hi there,

I'd like any advice about peoples experience of Brisbane State Primary Schools. I am really concerned that in general queensland schools have extremely poor grades compared to interstate schools, and qld is generally considered one of the worst states educationally. This may be partly to do with the children starting school somewhat older than in the other states. In any case, I am wondering if we need to look at private schooling throughout to ensure our kids have a good education. (I went to state schools for my entire education prior to uni in nz so this seems unusual to me). Everybody we know in australia though has elected to do this. I was there recently looking at a (private) school and the young 9 year old who was showing me around told me her parents had moved her out of her state school because they were only "singing" their times tables in Grade 4 (I think that was the Grade). The school she was attending in considered a "really good state school" in a good area. My question is, do the private primary schools teach more advanced curriculum, more in line with other states etc? It seems like a lot of money but we can do it if that is what is required for a good education. I definitely dont want them to fall behind and have a poor education. (Also - is IB only for high schools? I dont know much about that) Thanks for any help in advance.

As yet, there is no national curriculum in Australia and therefore the blanket testing of kids across Australia is not equal.

Queensland are now trying to come more in line with other states in terms of the age that kids start their formal schooling, but for the current grade 3's who took NAPLAN tests this year, it has meant a big jump forwards and it will take time for schools to work out exactly where kids need to be at that age, compared to other states.

We lived in NSW and moved to QLD and have certainly not found Qld to be backward, and by the time kids are coming out of high school, they are not disadvantaged by having been through school in Queensland.

In Australia, a high number of people so choose to send their children to private schools - they are far more affordable here than in the UK.

Your kids will not "fall behind", they will slot into the Australian schooling system and keep up with their peers here if they are intelligent.

Are you thinking that your children will not be attending university in Australia? If so then the IB is probably the way to go, but if they will be going here then there is little point in going in that direction - very few schools offer the programme - here is a list for Queensland http://www.resaust.com.au/index.php?p=5_5. If you are out of the UK for more than 3 years before your children will be going to university, you will have to pay full international fees for them to attend university in the UK.

Rudi

The short answer is no.

Talking to my sons prep teacher recently she said they are noticing a huge difference with the year 1 children who have been through the new prep year first. Over time this can only help. My son can already read at a high level and the school seems great but one experience doesn't say much.

You only send your child to one school and there are plenty of govt schools with green bars on the myschool site showing they are scoring ahead of their interstate and local public and private peers. Brisbane averages might be well above the qld average as qld is one of the most decentralised states with a large regional and remote population.

State schools tend to reflect the area they are in so keep that in mind when choosing a location. While on average the results would be lower, many private schools are out performed by state schools so deciding on a system rather than a school wouldn't be the smartest way to choose.

Guest JacquiG
As yet, there is no national curriculum in Australia and therefore the blanket testing of kids across Australia is not equal.

Queensland are now trying to come more in line with other states in terms of the age that kids start their formal schooling, but for the current grade 3's who took NAPLAN tests this year, it has meant a big jump forwards and it will take time for schools to work out exactly where kids need to be at that age, compared to other states.

We lived in NSW and moved to QLD and have certainly not found Qld to be backward, and by the time kids are coming out of high school, they are not disadvantaged by having been through school in Queensland.

In Australia, a high number of people so choose to send their children to private schools - they are far more affordable here than in the UK.

Your kids will not "fall behind", they will slot into the Australian schooling system and keep up with their peers here if they are intelligent.

Rudi

Thanks for that Rudi. I had the impression from somewhere that people moving interstate found the schools to be far behind! Emily will start preprep/kindy next year so I have heard some things are changing with the curriculum so hopefully this will improve overall? This is probably a difficult question...but do you believe that an education at Manly State Primary would be any different curriculum wise to say, Moreton Girls Grammar (not that we can get into there because of the waiting list but there are other private schools that will probably be able to offer a place). I am just finding it really hard to understand where I would sit with private vs state in Australia. Here in NZ I would be very happy with the state system, probably at high school as well depending on the area we lived in. But I have heard from my cousin, sister in law, various friends etc, that they are all sending their kids to private schools in Australia. Perhaps i just need to listen to them but it seems surprising to me. Hence the post here. Thanks.

Guest JacquiG
The short answer is no.

Talking to my sons prep teacher recently she said they are noticing a huge difference with the year 1 children who have been through the new prep year first. Over time this can only help. My son can already read at a high level and the school seems great but one experience doesn't say much.

You only send your child to one school and there are plenty of govt schools with green bars on the myschool site showing they are scoring ahead of their interstate and local public and private peers. Brisbane averages might be well above the qld average as qld is one of the most decentralised states with a large regional and remote population.

State schools tend to reflect the area they are in so keep that in mind when choosing a location. While on average the results would be lower, many private schools are out performed by state schools so deciding on a system rather than a school wouldn't be the smartest way to choose.

Thanks Fish, that is really helpful to hear that things are changing with the new curriculum (and reassuring). What school is it by the way? Always nice to hear if things are going well. Thanks for that.

Thanks for that Rudi. I had the impression from somewhere that people moving interstate found the schools to be far behind! Emily will start preprep/kindy next year so I have heard some things are changing with the curriculum so hopefully this will improve overall? This is probably a difficult question...but do you believe that an education at Manly State Primary would be any different curriculum wise to say, Moreton Girls Grammar (not that we can get into there because of the waiting list but there are other private schools that will probably be able to offer a place). I am just finding it really hard to understand where I would sit with private vs state in Australia. Here in NZ I would be very happy with the state system, probably at high school as well depending on the area we lived in. But I have heard from my cousin, sister in law, various friends etc, that they are all sending their kids to private schools in Australia. Perhaps i just need to listen to them but it seems surprising to me. Hence the post here. Thanks.

From what I know, Manly State Primary is a good school - I have a couple of friends with children there. They plan to send their children to private high schools, but have been really happy with the state education at primary level.

It is quite common for kids to go to a state primary school and then head to a private high school.

Moreton Bay is an excellent girls school. Again, I have friends with girls there and they are very happy with the quality of education their girls receive.

Love

Rudi

x

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this thread and it's really interesting.

I am a bit ahead of myself as we are still waiting to find out if DH will be offered a job. We were hoping if he gets it, to be based around Redcliffe area but all the schools seem to be below the national average by some ways. This really concerns me and has made me wonder if it's the best area to look at.

I had no idea about queensland having this reputation but it makes sense as I was struggling to find a single school within quite a distance that seemed even average.

We are extremely lucky in the UK that my son has just started an excellent small state primary that exceeds the national averages in every area and also focuses on the individual, not just the results.

The research I'm doing has made me feel much less positive about a move.

Personally I would not worry too much about primary schools, I don't see how you can measure kids that young in any accurate fashion. High school is where it really counts.

Personally I would not worry too much about primary schools, I don't see how you can measure kids that young in any accurate fashion. High school is where it really counts.

Thanks. I do understand what you mean. However it surely must help to have a good standard of education in those crucial years?

I have noticed that some of the schools seem to have been improving over the last couple of years so maybe things are improving.

I guess I tell myself that one of the good reasons for going to Oz is because it's good for the children, and that seems difficult to reconcile when taking them from an outstanding school to one that is deemed below average.

Yeah I understand, I am about to do the same thing. I think the main criterion is that you don't send them somewhere completely awful, but if it's average it's not the end of the world. Think of the long game.

Thanks. I do understand what you mean. However it surely must help to have a good standard of education in those crucial years?

I have noticed that some of the schools seem to have been improving over the last couple of years so maybe things are improving.

I guess I tell myself that one of the good reasons for going to Oz is because it's good for the children, and that seems difficult to reconcile when taking them from an outstanding school to one that is deemed below average.

If you want to live in the outer suburbs you could look at non govt primary schools as well as they are quite affordable compared to the uk, or move to a different catchment with an excellent govt primary.

Quite honestly, if you were happy with NZ education, then you will find the standard much higher here. I moved to Qld from NZ and both my children had to "pull their socks up" considerably as the standard is that much higher - it may have been coincidence but they were in good schools in NZ and now attend Varsity College on the Gold Coast (also a state school).

Hi - can any of you provide a link of where you are getting the "ratings" for each school from? We need to look at pre-school/primary schooling up in Darwin for our oldest boy - we are quite worried about it - having looked into it there appear to be a large number of not very great schools and when we enquired with our 1st choice private schools we were told a waiting list of 130+ for 24 places!!!!!!!!!! :(

Thank you for this adress. Could someone explain me how I can find out on this site which is a good school and wich one's are not? Honestly, I have no idea what I should looking for. In Switzerland our schoolsystem is diffrent we can not choose in wich school we want to go. You are automatically in the school where you live. Exept of very expensive privat schools.

So I really need help. My kids are 8, 10 and 12 and we will move in March 2012.

I am totaly overstrained!!! :confused:

Thanks a lot!!!

Sandy