Poms in OZ Time Capsule

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm not sure if this is going to work but I thought it would be great for members new and old to share what's happening in their life right now (nothing to personal thank you:biggrin:) and what they think they will be doing in 5 years time. I thought we could then close the thread in a few months and file it away to be opened 5 years later and see where we all are and if our thoughts/dreams come true.

:hug::hug: let's pray that when we open it in 5 years time those who are waiting for their visas have been successful.

I'll start but will create it on a separate post

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly I pray that I'm still around in 5 years, I'm a tough cookie and some one needs to be here to reopen the thread, so I'll try and last out lol x

Ok at the moment due to Ill health I'm not working but spending time trying to manage PIO and the other 5 forums. I'm hoping by the time I read this in 5 years the forum upgrade will have gone well and we are still all here.

We currently live in Cairns and I can't imagine ever leaving this place, we are hoping to buy more land to make our garden larger.

I have three wonderful children, one who is hoping to leave home for ADFA soon, so hopefully when I next read this he will be an officer. We haven't been back to the UK and I can't see that we will have been in 5 years time.

My mum is hoping to get a visa and live with us, and my brother really wants to get over but can't find a way in. I'm also hoping that Lemmings will be here living his dream with his beautiful family.

Lol I can't think what else to say, so I'll pass it over to you.

Thanks for doing this M2M.

In 5 years time i hope to be living in WA with another 1 or 2 kids running around and have completed my Forensics studies(or at least be nearing finished) and be working as a Crime Scene Investigator.

I also hope my Son will calm down and be more settled in school and spend more time studying then being the class clown.

Guest Guest31881

Currently living In Goondiwindi and working as a museum curator / caretaker. Thinking of moving on and fully retiring to enjoy our health while we still have it.

In 5 years If i am still kicking I expect to be living on the coast and fishing, taking walks along the seafront and stopping for a cup of coffee as I watch the surf.

Probably living on a permanent caravan site for the over 50's. I already have one grandchild but I expect to have at least one more in 5 years.

I will be a citizen and hold an Australian Passport.

Expect to still getting abusive emails from disgruntled members who object to being banned:wink:.

In 5 years time I hope to have made the trip across the pond and be living close to Brisbane, with a good job and a a nice house. I hope my children will have settled well and gained a good education. But more than anything I hope that we are still a healthy and happy family unit.

:smile:

5 years time..............I would love to say we will still be here in beautiful Darwin but knowing the Army we could be anywhere in Australia.

I would like to think I would still be doing the job I love but I'm always up for a challenge.

What I do know is we will still be enjoying our new life and all it has to offer.

In 5 years I hope that my family will still be living in Darwin and enjoying it. I hope that my son will be doing well in school, have lots of friends and that he will be a happy boy. I also hope that we will have another child and that I will be running my own business over there as I do here. Most of all, I hope that we are all still a happy family, settled and looking forward to the next 5 years.

At the moment living in Ireland waiting for things to start happening with visa applications and trying to plan a wedding.

In 5 years time I hope that we will be in Perth living well, don't want too much just to not have to worry where the mortgage money is coming from!......Maybe another baby, my OH is going for 3rd time lucky it's a boy! :wink::laugh:

Guest guest37336

Firstly many thanks Kate for wishing me and mine well, :notworthy::hug: if all goes according to plan we will be out there a lot sooner, maybe as a family of 4, 3, 2 or even 1 if Ruth really gets fed up with me again,:yes::biglaugh:

As far as my plans go, I hope Anna, my eldest eventually finds her path in life and decides what she really needs to make her happy. Beck's the little Herbert will generally bounce back time and again and I reckon soon enough she will forging ahead in what she wants to do,:notworthy:

I hope Ruth will be in Australia working/volunteering for a mental health charity which makes her very happy indeed.:wubclub::notworthy::hug:

If I'm still around I hope to have completed my 'Open Degree' (Creative Writing/Advanced Creative Writing/Political Philosophy/Psychology) with the OU, nothing more than wanting learn a bit more is all.

I also hope to have made a difference to this country in the way it looks at itself, and come hell or high water, and no matter what it takes I will get there.

One last thing, is to be able to live in the outback again and write several books about what it means to me and how intensely I feel about the place.

At the end of the day as long as those I know and love are OK that is fine with me,:yes:, my own selfish ideals pale into comparison with what they want to do as I have already had one hell of a ride, so what the hell.

Cheers Tony.

Good replies!CSI and everything!:notworthy:

My plans are fairly basic alas,maybe to have changed occupation,excavator driver or something along those lines,me back and discs have took enuf of a hiding for too long,bricklayings good for keeping yer reasonably fit but thats all as far as im concerned!

To hopefully have a house overlooking the ocean in Victor Harbor SA,thats it,dont need nothing else..........except for foxtell for the footy that is

What a great idea for a thread!

Jon (husband), Satch (the wonder-dog) and I are currently living near Canterbury UK, frantically organising things for our move to Melbourne in October.

In 5 years time I hope we'll both be gloriously happy together, own our own home in outer-Melbourne with the Satch-dog still going strong and being daft as ever. A munchkin of our own would be a great addition to the team, fingers-crossed mother nature finally lets things happen once we've moved and the stress has settled down!

Jon will be a happy, gigging guitarist, who spends the daylight hours building guitars and amplifiers - and actually SELLING THEM for real money that pays the mortgage.

I'll have given up on the evils of working for the government and run our own dog-based-business, maybe a kennels or possibly a simple, dog-friendly pub that does simple (but yum) cafe food. Sort of like an Australian version of an english pub (but no theme pub, just the vibe!)

Fingers crossed!!

Guest Guest 47403

Pretty simple things for me, although there's a dream and the reality, the dream is to be in Tasmania wife enjoying her work and a change of direction for me working as a national park ranger/warden financially stable with a bit of land to grow our own have chooks etc, with all the kids doing well at school.

In reality it will probablty be Adelaide or Perth, me still working in IT but as long as the family are happy settled and we're not on the breadline I'll be content with my lot.

Five years welll

Hope my daughter's health stays the same as it is now.

Mum will be going on 98 and still living alone

Our money survives the financial probs or we will be in the poor house:laugh:

Maybe a grandchild but not holding my breath for that one. :daydreaming:

You seem to have read my mind as over the past few days I have been mulling over life choices, where we will be in 1-2-5 years time etc.

So, here goes:

In 5 years time I hope we will still be in love and together, as that is the most important thing. It is 2nd time round for both of us and having a person at your side who is right for you is just fundamental.

I hope we will have settled in Sydney, and got past the way we (I) am feeling right now.

I also hope that in our retirement years we will be able to return to Europe (France, Italy, UK) or at least have the possibility to do 6 months.

I hope my 3 Fat Cats will be healthy and happy and like the giant lizard in the garden :oS

It would be nice to hope we will eventually manage to have a child, either through IVF (if we can ever afford it) or through adoption (if we are ever considered acceptable).

I hope DH likes his job and they treat him well because he deserves it a lot.

My dream is to study to become a veterinary nurse and (maybe) a full blown vet one day. I am so tired of the corporate world after almost 20 years I know in my heart I want to work with animals, and only the fear of money and not making it is holding me back right now.

I also hope to find a job in Sydney to help make ends meet....

I hope my Mum will one day get past her problems and start to speak to us again.... it is hard having a Mum like her sometimes and the constant worry of is she OK? is like a cancer within me.

I also hope she will one day come to live near us and enjoy the last portion of her life.

I wish my in-laws good health as long as possible, and no more falls and broken bones.

I wish my B&S-in-law happiness and also an adopted child of their own which they long for.

And last, I hope to continue diving for as long as my legs will carry me, and continue to explore the wonderful underwater world in many places....

xxx Naomi

In five years time, I hope that my children and my hubby and I are all in good health and that we are all happy and still in the same house in Sydney. I hope that our PR will have been granted (we are in the midst of applying for an 856, so that should be okay). I hope that both kiddies are doing well in school and have made lots of firm friends. In five years eldest will be 10 and going up to 'big school' at the end of the year, and smallest will be 8 and hopefully enjoying herself at primary school. I also hope that all of our extended family are still happy and healthy, particularly my 84 year old gran, who I hope will be able to come out to visit again.

I hope that oh's business continues to be a success. I also hope that my new business venture (started just over a month ago) continues to be a success because I enjoy it (I have an online 'boutique' selling bridal/wedding stuff). I also hope to have worked out how to use Google Adwords by that time!

I also hope that by improving my health (which has been a bit rubbish for various reasons) I can start to look at doing a more physical job which I have always wanted since I took my degree in zoology 15 years ago. I hope that in five years time I will be working with the National Parks Service in some capacity, even if voluntarily.

I would also like to think that I may be back at uni part time doing something related to the zoology such as environmental science, something related to the online business such as computer programming or something completely different such as dietetics, forensics or microbiology or something science-based like that, because you can never know too much about stuff and I just don't feel that I have done all of my learning yet.

As an aside, but kind of related to the above, my eldest daughter asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up yesterday :biglaugh: ! Told her I didn't know yet but I am working on it!

Hi everyone my name is Andy I have been on PIO for just over 2 years. I have been backwards and forwards to Oz since 2002. After finishing uni and gaining PR last year I have no plans to go back to the UK and have been back since Jan 2010. In 5 years time I would like to see myself more established here perhaps buying a property, ideally with a swimming pool and a small block of land to furfil my dreams. I am also considering going back to uni to undertake a graduate course to train as a doctor - so lots of plans. :jiggy:

Mmm....five years time? Well I have just sold my house, and am moving on to hopefully build a house next door to my sister on the same property, so we can have one property and room for all the KIPPERS (Kids in Parents Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings). :laugh: I know that some people plan their life after their kids have grown up and left, but I like the idea that the kids can be around with partners, kids, dogs etc. I know lots of people who are doing this, some parents are building units on their properties to help their kids out with housing, etc and we thought building together would be good - some complexities here as well we know, but we are in the process of working it out. I don't mind the idea of families living in shared arrangements, with the cost of housing and utilities, I think shared living is going to be the thing of the future. What has to be worked out by some families is how to best do it, but we know the Europeans and Asians do it, and we Australians may need to readjust our thinking in the next 20 years (so we are starting now !).

Apart from that I will be in a different line of work (out of community services for good), will continue to travel to interesting places, and hopefully have my health, which is so important - because all the rest of the stuff in life comes second if your health goes bung doesn't it. And definitely I will: LIVE WELL, LAUGH OFTEN, LOVE MUCH for everyday of the next five years and onwards......:yes::jiggy:

Well having just popped on here to reply to a message I need to put in my two penneth worth. I wish that all my family and friends keep happy and healthy and that I can still be sharing many a happy day by the barbie with them. I hope that my children grow up to be responsible young adults and are able to follow their dreams (whatever they may be). I hope my OH finds a job he really enjoys and loves going along to everyday. For myself I hope to have completed a Masters/Post Grad qualification in Youth Mental Health and be hopefully helping to get better resources for Early Intervention for those experiencing their first episode of psychosis. Big hopes and dreams so in five years time I will hopefully be around to tick some of those things off the list. On another note I see myself still living in Melbourne but hopefully in our own home rather than a rental, with the obligitary pool/spa of course!!!

Currently living in Swansea and working a number of accountancy contracts to save enough that we don't have to sell the house to emigrate. Planning on Wednesday to book our flights to Perth for 14th March.

Five years time am hoping to be in a Finance Director or Managing Director role for a small to medium business in or around Perth and enjoying my beer in Frankie's bar ( My grandfather, Frankie Scrine, was a pro footballer and I want to build a sports bar in my potential house with his international shirts and caps on display and name it after him. He was my hero and I want to build it as a tribute to him and the man that he was. )

Other than that just want my wife and kids to be settled and feel that they are happy.

I can't think that far ahead. Have never really been one for planning life - it always just happens to me. But I guess much the same as everyone else in hoping that I am still happy in my relationship, have some financial security and possibly start a family. If this was a pipe dream then I will add:

Owning a beautiful weatherboard home close to the sea

Having my family move here

Go on lots of adventures

Currently living and working in London and hoping to make the big move Feb 12.

In 5 years time I hope to be settled and happy with my hubby and youngest daughter (12) in Brisbane. I am praying that my middle daughter (18) will have finished her forensics degree and be living in Oz somewhere, and that my eldest decides to bring my beautiful grandson with her and settles in Oz too.

Wishful thinking I know but....

currently living in perth wa [2.5 yrs] ...at the point where we are looking for our first home in oz ....o/h works in the mines ...but is currently in the process of strating up his own business ...to work his own excavator in the mines ......in 5 yrs we hope that the business will be succesful enough for him to employ others to work the machines that he plans on buying between now and then ....and he can semi retire and enjoy the life that oz has to offer ......all big dreams but in this country .......its all there for the taking ...:biggrin:

mrs keily

ps ...brill thread kate :hug:

In 5 years time I hope we have made the move to Perth and our 2 girls (aged 2 & 4.5) settle in.

I hope OH finds a job which he can progress his career (or get his light aircraft licence) and I really, really hope we get to spend more quality time as a family. I also hope my mum decides to move from NZ and join us.

A long wish list but family happiness top of the list!:yes: