So, who is the cheapest shipping company? And how much did they come down by?

Guest michelledenham

yeah funnily enough no one else seems to have been told there's an extra charge for a padlock and a securing wall.

wooden crate for your tv is normal if you dont have the original box.

Are you finding your leaving do's are very emotional?

Hoping to go mid October avd hopefully headed to Rocking. What about you?

yeah leaving dos are pants, i have had my work one and also my family one. weve got a joint one coming up for all of our friends, now that one will be really difficult. cos we know those who are coming, most of them we will never see ever again.

i leave work in 2 weeks and have got the rest in annual leave to get packed up and clean my house out when the shippers have been and gone, as my best mate is renting our house out for a while.

we are going to nsw initially, my family live near newcastle. OH is going to have to work away in WA. off the coast of Perth. So maybe at some point, we may relocate over there. Time will tell.

have u booked ur flights yet. have u booked your travel insurance and shipping insurance. who did u go with. we fly on the 9th october. am excited but really nervous.

when u get ur price from crown, prepare urself. they are really expensive.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest michelledenham

Ok guys another up date from my experiences...

As we have done this move to Perth and back again I have now encountered several of the shipping companies... However after reading the 'Transport' section on PIO i have found a few I had no dealings with.... And so far Wow!!!

Spoke with 2 shipping companies today and am glad to say they were GREAT! Very good customer service. Good manner. Informative. VERY helpful. Understanding. Clear. Willing to accomadate to my needs etc.... The two companies are 'Moving Partnership' and 'White & Co'. Both gave average quotes. One had 8weeks free storage in the UK! Both could accomadate a split payment deal, therefore not having to pay out full wack in one go! Both can collect and pack in very short notice. Bloody well impressed with the fella's I spoke with over the phone.. Now the hard part......'Who to go with'..? As these two are probably the best I have spoken to so far!!!!

Guest fulcher4123

Hi all, We recently went to birmingham for livethedream australia expo and we met the company White & Company there regional manager William Burden. Was a very nice man and answered every question we asked and was very helpful. Went we get on date to go they will be the first we call.

Guys. Price is soooooooo important but think on this. .

You run a small building company, you put in a decent price but have to come down to be competitive. The price reduces further to the point the only way you can make a profit or worse still reduce a possible loss is to cut corners. You get what you pay for.... It's the same with any product or service . . ask any facilities manager!

I & members of my family have moved around the world many times, both as employees and under our own steam.

Some pointers to look out for when looking for an 'international' removal company . . .

1) Surprisingly, do they publish as address within their web site? If they don’t walk away. If they do look this up on Google Earth / Street view . . You’ll be surprised what you will find. . . car dealerships, derelict buildings etc etc and it’s not due to the age of the satellite image. Seriously scary!

2) Do the web site pictures of their office / facilities match reality? Some photoshop their names onto smart looking buildings!

3) Can you visit their facilities and inspect?

4) Are they members of the BAR “Overseas Group” – specifically ‘overseas group’, just the ‘BAR’ covers UK moving not international. As BAR “Overseas Group Members” are they members of the I.M.M.I scheme which means they are ‘bonded’ – much like ABTA and travel companies.

5) Are they members of F.I.D.I. ? FIDI is an international standards organization for ‘international removal companies’. Member companies are audited for service standards, documentation though to financial security. For example, an audit checks contents of first aid boxes carried on vehicles though to the timeliness of documentation. FIDI members work with fellow members worldwide in the knowledge that the service standards are excellent.

6) What impression do you gain when taking to staff, can they answer simple questions efficiently, or is it a case of “I’ll check and come back to you” or some hard hearted flannel which leave you wondering? Your gut instinct is usually correct.

Price. This is a competitive business, as you will have discovered. It is important to get the right ‘bangs for the buck’ from your hard earned finances. There is a ‘but’ . . . as with anything you get what you pay for. More so when handling over your belongings, your payment and disappearing across the globe!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tash,

We used White & Co, we had a 20ft container they came to collect in Brittany (the driver was on his way back from Spain), took it back to the UK to pack it securely and arrived here 2months later for £3500. All quotes from french companies were nearly double. Everything arrived in fantastic condition and I think we only had 2-3 breakages (cups and plates) so not bad at all. Would recommend them. Good luck x

Guest WA Jezza

Hi Guys and Girls

I have gone the do-it-yourself route, eg, we pack all our things, we load the container ourselves and strip it at the other end ourselves, so far the cheapest price for a 20ft container has come in at £1875, obviously on top of that we have to provide our own insurance but feel confident we will get change out of 2.5k, if anyone is interested in going the DIY route i will when i have ten min post up the names of the companies who have quoted me but in short, get on the net and contact shipping companies who don't ordinarily specialize in relocation shipping and you may well be surprised at the prices they quote, remember by DIY, you cut out all the expense of someone coming round to tell you how much you can fit in a container, some common sense should give you an idea what you can fit in, measure a room up and then visualize what you can fit in it, you also cut out the expense of paying someone to do your packing, we set our stuff off to sail late December and have already started to pack boxes.

HTH

Jez

Hi Guys and Girls

I have gone the do-it-yourself route, eg, we pack all our things, we load the container ourselves and strip it at the other end ourselves, so far the cheapest price for a 20ft container has come in at £1875, obviously on top of that we have to provide our own insurance but feel confident we will get change out of 2.5k, if anyone is interested in going the DIY route i will when i have ten min post up the names of the companies who have quoted me but in short, get on the net and contact shipping companies who don't ordinarily specialize in relocation shipping and you may well be surprised at the prices they quote, remember by DIY, you cut out all the expense of someone coming round to tell you how much you can fit in a container, some common sense should give you an idea what you can fit in, measure a room up and then visualize what you can fit in it, you also cut out the expense of paying someone to do your packing, we set our stuff off to sail late December and have already started to pack boxes.

HTH

Jez

Sorry probably stupid question but does the shipping company drop off the container at your home, ship it and then send it to your residence in Australia or do you have to organise another company to do the pick up and drop off?

Guest WA Jezza
Sorry probably stupid question but does the shipping company drop off the container at your home, ship it and then send it to your residence in Australia or do you have to organise another company to do the pick up and drop off?

Drop off at home, 3 hours included in price to load, any time over is charged at an hourly rate, delivered to the docks in Aus and we can strip from there or arrangements made to be delivered to your new address, i will post more details if anyone is interested later in the week

Jez

Hi Lostwithoutatrace,

Yes not long now, it has come around so quickly, very scary and very exciting!!! :)

My husband has a job to go to, he is working as an Offshore simulator Chief Instructor for a company based in Perth, I am a PA in this country so I am confident I will pick something up, but I am in no rush, lots to sort and organise before I worry about work.

Good luck with the quotes, if you need help with anything, just ask.

Pip and Mark

Thanks for that, I have now decided to go with JM as they seem to be the only company which cares and actually comes back to calls/emails immediately.

I like the sales guy at Anglo but same as you, did not like to respond that quickly with a revised quote. The receptionist was a stroppy cow too.

Hope all goes well with your move. Hoping to pack up at school half term to ship out on 27 Oct and we are hoping to fly out beg of Nov. How about you. x

Thanks fo rth einfo, im trying to get quotes too. I know this is not in the right post but could i ask who you booked ur flights with, what baggage allowance u have and what it cost. Thanks we hoping to fly in January with three young children.

We have the original box and packaging for our TV. Anglo P said to bin it and that it would have to go in their special wooden TV container. Quote due to come via email tomorrow. Also getting John Mason round for a survey. Will be interesting to see if there's much of a price difference.

We have the original box and packaging for our TV. Anglo P said to bin it and that it would have to go in their special wooden TV container. Quote due to come via email tomorrow. Also getting John Mason round for a survey. Will be interesting to see if there's much of a price difference.

I had White and Co around today - the guy said that the original TV box is fine. Sounds like Anglo P are pulling a fast one on you, after all, the box is good enough to ship these things around in the first place, right?

Drop off at home, 3 hours included in price to load, any time over is charged at an hourly rate, delivered to the docks in Aus and we can strip from there or arrangements made to be delivered to your new address, i will post more details if anyone is interested later in the week

Jez

hi, thanks for the info. i for one would certainly be interested in more information and details of who you used and the full end to end process.

My wife and i are looking to move to Brisbane early next year. We dont own a property and thus have only limited furniture and belongings. Largest item is 40" TV which is definitely going with us. Other items are mostly clothes, hifi equipment, paperwork and the wife's shoes (may need a whole separate ship for those, let alone another container!)

look forward to the info of who you used and your experience

cheers

Hi All

i have just been sent a quote by Johnmason for 583 cu ft from France to Melbourne for 3745 pounds. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to bring our things first over to the uk to be shipped, as i am sure on here not so long ago people were being quoted a lot less for similar cu ft.

can anyone give me their price on a similer quote please.

thanks julie:wacko:

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend any shipping companies from N. Ireland, or do we use ones based in England??

Do you have a full container i think that matters,i live in the north of France and it is cheaper for us to go from England.But if your container is full it may leave from a port in Ireland,i got quotes from both places first.:biggrin:

Hi All

i have just been sent a quote by Johnmason for 583 cu ft from France to Melbourne for 3745 pounds. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to bring our things first over to the uk to be shipped, as i am sure on here not so long ago people were being quoted a lot less for similar cu ft.

can anyone give me their price on a similer quote please.

thanks julie:wacko:

JR56 on here had a quote from White & Co that was quite good. Like you they were going from France to Australia. I will try and find the post.

It is post 31, sorry don't know how to link it.

Guest marriedtheenglish

We have decided to go with the Moving Partnership - they seem like they have it all under control and price matched... very impressed so far!