So, who is the cheapest shipping company? And how much did they come down by?

Guest michelledenham

Guest michelledenham

Hi, I have been to Perth and back again... Nothing has changed. Needed a 20ft container going and needed a 20ft container coming back.

Yet, have had 6 shipping companies out for quotes and even though they know I have already done the trip (twice) some still insist on telling me I have more then a 20ft container... And YES the prices are sooooooooooo different. After looking at other shipping posts I see everyone gets different quotes and there is no basis for why?

So, WHO WAS THE CHEAPEST? WHAT WAS THE START OF QUOTE? AND HOW MUCH/HOW LONG DID IT COME DOWN?

I am in Essex, last time we went with Anglo and was very happy with them... However this time they are the MOST expensive out of the lot!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had lots of shipping companies out and TBH John Mason's have impressed us more than any others so far. Their surveyor was a decent bloke and didnt try to sell us any other products like movey transfers, flights and so on. And he knew what he was talking about.

They so far came in at below £4k plus insurance and AQIS.

Gonna see what deal I can get out of them to include insurance and AQIS.

I'll let you know what deal we can get out of them.

Guest bakercrew
We've had lots of shipping companies out and TBH John Mason's have impressed us more than any others so far. Their surveyor was a decent bloke and didnt try to sell us any other products like movey transfers, flights and so on. And he knew what he was talking about.

HI please let me know what your breakdown of quote is and where you are travelling from and to,

I had a quote from cambridge to perth for 930 cub feet 20ft container from John mason for £3768.00 exc aquis and insur. Wont budget any more on the price..

Anglo were also expensive and would only come down to £3900

Pickfords came in cheapest at £3586 but have heard bad stories about them.

Found company called Moving Partnership who came in at £3650 but never heard of them before. The phoned me out of the blue.

Many Thanks Helen

HI please let me know what your breakdown of quote is and where you are travelling from and to,

I had a quote from cambridge to perth for 930 cub feet 20ft container from John mason for £3768.00 exc aquis and insur. Wont budget any more on the price..

Anglo were also expensive and would only come down to £3900

Pickfords came in cheapest at £3586 but have heard bad stories about them.

Found company called Moving Partnership who came in at £3650 but never heard of them before. The phoned me out of the blue.

Many Thanks Helen

Hi Helen,

John Mason are the only company who have not given a limit on cubic footage. They have quoted us for sole use of a 20foot container and said it doesnt matter if we put a single item in it or fill it to capacity. The only extra costs that would be involved are for extra packaging if we wanted to add any other items on top of the inventory we have. The quoted us £3750 excluding AQIS and insurance from north Lincolnshire (very near to Hull) to Perth.

Anglo have not bothered getting back to us when I asked them to drop their price as they were over £4k for 850cuft.

Guest bakercrew

Thanks for that, I have now decided to go with JM as they seem to be the only company which cares and actually comes back to calls/emails immediately.

I like the sales guy at Anglo but same as you, did not like to respond that quickly with a revised quote. The receptionist was a stroppy cow too.

Hope all goes well with your move. Hoping to pack up at school half term to ship out on 27 Oct and we are hoping to fly out beg of Nov. How about you. x

Thanks for that, I have now decided to go with JM as they seem to be the only company which cares and actually comes back to calls/emails immediately.

I like the sales guy at Anglo but same as you, did not like to respond that quickly with a revised quote. The receptionist was a stroppy cow too.

Hope all goes well with your move. Hoping to pack up at school half term to ship out on 27 Oct and we are hoping to fly out beg of Nov. How about you. x

your very welcome.

JM's surveyor didn't try selling us loads of other stuff like all the other companies did. I was a bit taken aback and even said to him 'aren't you going to try selling us money transfers, cheaper flights, etc' his reply was along the lines of... nope, we just want to get your business and ship your stuff' which impressed me immensely.

Hoping to be out of here by mid october or sooner if possible.

Good luck with your move too

All the best

Ben & Kelly

Hi Helen,

John Mason are the only company who have not given a limit on cubic footage. They have quoted us for sole use of a 20foot container and said it doesnt matter if we put a single item in it or fill it to capacity. The only extra costs that would be involved are for extra packaging if we wanted to add any other items on top of the inventory we have. The quoted us £3750 excluding AQIS and insurance from north Lincolnshire (very near to Hull) to Perth.

Anglo have not bothered getting back to us when I asked them to drop their price as they were over £4k for 850cuft.

hi, just out of interest, we too are from north lincs. jm gave us a quote of £3675 but this was based on around 700 cubic feet excluding insurance and aqis. at the time i asked about putting a few extra boxes in which wasent a problem, but if we wanted to fill the container we would have been looking at an extra couple of hundred quid.

therefore i decided to go with pickfords, i have managed to get a sole use container to fill it to the brim and its costing us £3700. were going to NSW. this price dosent include aqis or insurance or storage. wish it did. one of the previous posters on this thread said they had heard bad things about pickfords. hopefully things will be okay for us though.

good luck for when u go.

Guest The Newlands

Hi we just had a quote from JM and to be honest their rep was very honest and genuine, like you say no cross selling of other products, and to top it off they were the cheapest of the 3 that we have had.

PSS said we needed a 40' container @ £6250, Anglo said 20' container @ £4300, and John Mason 20' @ £3850

PSS was the one trying to push all other products, and crates for things that was'nt neceassary.(£500 worth of crates) having a laugh!!

Anglo rep was ok, but after he told us our cubic footage and price, our written quote was different cubic footage, they stated we might be just over the 20' limit, meaning little extra would have to go in a shared container at a additional cost of about £500

So the haggling begins let's see who really wants my hard earned pennies the

most!

John

Guest michelledenham

Ok here goes;

So far quotes are ranging from around £3600 to £4300 depending on where you live and depending on what the sales rep thinks you need... But all have been quotes for 20ft

Anglo = £3980 Essex to Perth

= £3900 Hull to Perth

= £4300 Yorkshire to Perth

John Mson = £ 3965 Essex to Perth

= £ 3768 Hull to Perth

= £ 3850 Yorkshire to Perth

Pickfords = £ 3700 Hull to NSW

Pss = £3990 Essex to Perth

= £6250 Hull to Perth (but said they actually needed a 40ft!)

Moving Partnership = £3650 Hull to Perth

Doree Bonner = £4134 Essex to Perth

So cheapest so far is... Moving Partnership coming in at £3650 and yes the most expensive is ....... Anglo coming in at £4300 making a difference of £650.

It also seems that although looking at the map, most of our quotes are for the same sort of distance there still doesn't seem to be any system for the quotes. i.e Pickfords - Hull to NSW =£3700 + Pss - Essex to Perth =£3990 ?

And the different estimates on size needed????? Surely if that's thier job, they should know what the hell they are doing. And the pushy sales tech or rude employees.... Do these companies not know that we are the ones that can pick and choose who ever we want!!!

hi, just out of interest, we too are from north lincs. jm gave us a quote of £3675 but this was based on around 700 cubic feet excluding insurance and aqis. at the time i asked about putting a few extra boxes in which wasent a problem, but if we wanted to fill the container we would have been looking at an extra couple of hundred quid.

therefore i decided to go with pickfords, i have managed to get a sole use container to fill it to the brim and its costing us £3700. were going to NSW. this price dosent include aqis or insurance or storage. wish it did. one of the previous posters on this thread said they had heard bad things about pickfords. hopefully things will be okay for us though.

good luck for when u go.

Hi yummimumi,

What part of north lincs are you from? We're from Barton.

I have emailed JM and asked them to confirm what cubic footage they have quoted for as it simply states 'sole use 20ft container' in our quote.

One other thing that did impress me about JM was that they did not try to sell us extra crating for our smaller tv. He said they do have large cartons which they use for smaller tv's which would save us about £20- £30. not much but in the words of the tesco ads' 'every little helps'. JM seem very keen to quote a low price right from the start rather than go in with a way overpriced quote and be knocked down a lot.

I've heard good and bad things about Pickfords to be honest. Personally I'm not impressed with the way they dealt with us. The surveyor was good but the office staff were just so unhelpful.

Only had one quote in so far - PSS £4000 Suffolk to Perth, sole use of a 20ft + Aquis + Insurance.

Out of interest has anybody checked out the reliability etc of the Australian end? PSS advised us that they use Britmove or Kents to finish the job at the Australian end.

Next quote Anglo, then John Mason, leaving in October

Pip

Hi yummimumi,

What part of north lincs are you from? We're from Barton.

I have emailed JM and asked them to confirm what cubic footage they have quoted for as it simply states 'sole use 20ft container' in our quote.

One other thing that did impress me about JM was that they did not try to sell us extra crating for our smaller tv. He said they do have large cartons which they use for smaller tv's which would save us about £20- £30. not much but in the words of the tesco ads' 'every little helps'. JM seem very keen to quote a low price right from the start rather than go in with a way overpriced quote and be knocked down a lot.

I've heard good and bad things about Pickfords to be honest. Personally I'm not impressed with the way they dealt with us. The surveyor was good but the office staff were just so unhelpful.

hi, we are from scunny. hope you get good news from JM about the cubic footage. I agree with your comment about the office staff at pickfords. I too had problems with them so for my sins i posted something on here asking others for their opinions before i parted with my dosh. i received a call from the sales guy 2 days later who had been informed that their main man had been on this site reading posts about his company and wanted to amend things.

therefore all of my queries were dealt with by the actual sales guy who obviously knows what hes talking about. the office person i had mentioned was actually very nice but didnt fill me with confidence when i called with questions. so i became worried about shipping my belongings across the world with them, began wishing i had stuck with my original choice which was JM. but the temptation of being able to fill my container to capacity for that price was too good to turn down. I have been assured that i have fab packing guys coming on 4th october, so i hope thats correct. time will tell i guess. getting really nervous now, we fly 4 weeks tomorrow. where abouts are you going.

Guest michelledenham

Hi

So Pipp and Ben&kelly where abouts in Perth are you heading to?

We went north last time and are heading back north this time, although not too far north! We experieneced KENT removals in Perth and they were lovely, great at packing and very speedy!

Guest michelledenham

From everyones posts on here it looks like alot of us choose the company's based on Price and gut feeling. They all say the same thing and basically do the same thing. I have friends that have used Pss, John Mason and Doreer Bonner and all have had good experiences. Anglo 2yrs ago were also fab... So, if they are all good, why the difference in price. Same boxes, same container, same ship, same fuel...

Guest michelledenham

Just a quickie,

Have had a quick read through and have seen other shipping company's. Anyone know where they are or how different their quotes are?

Sevensea's

White&Co

Robinsons

Britannia

Crown

Its very interesting reading all your quotes.

I hate to think what its going to cost us as they are going to have to come to France and get our stuff... from what I have heard they have to take it back to the UK before it goes anywhere!

Think I will have to start investigating who will come to France and what the damage is going to be!.

:wubclub:

hi, we are from scunny. hope you get good news from JM about the cubic footage. I agree with your comment about the office staff at pickfords. I too had problems with them so for my sins i posted something on here asking others for their opinions before i parted with my dosh. i received a call from the sales guy 2 days later who had been informed that their main man had been on this site reading posts about his company and wanted to amend things.

therefore all of my queries were dealt with by the actual sales guy who obviously knows what hes talking about. the office person i had mentioned was actually very nice but didnt fill me with confidence when i called with questions. so i became worried about shipping my belongings across the world with them, began wishing i had stuck with my original choice which was JM. but the temptation of being able to fill my container to capacity for that price was too good to turn down. I have been assured that i have fab packing guys coming on 4th october, so i hope thats correct. time will tell i guess. getting really nervous now, we fly 4 weeks tomorrow. where abouts are you going.

I'm originally from sunny scunny!

I'll let you know what JM say when they respond.

Did pickfords mention anything about extra charges for a padlock for the container and building a wooden wall inside the container to stop stuff moving around?

4 week hey thats not long to go then.

Have you had any farewell parties yet?

Hi

So Pipp and Ben&kelly where abouts in Perth are you heading to?

We went north last time and are heading back north this time, although not too far north! We experieneced KENT removals in Perth and they were lovely, great at packing and very speedy!

Hi michelledenham,

We're looking at Rockingham. Hoping to get there mid october.

I'm originally from sunny scunny!

I'll let you know what JM say when they respond.

Did pickfords mention anything about extra charges for a padlock for the container and building a wooden wall inside the container to stop stuff moving around?

4 week hey thats not long to go then.

Have you had any farewell parties yet?

hi

no they never mentioned anything about padlocks or walls. only thing extra were meant to be getting charged for is a wooden crate for our tv to protect it.

we have started having our leaving do's, have already had two. got a couple more, but have loads to still sort and do before shippers come in 2 wks.

when do u go. where u hoping to settle

hi

no they never mentioned anything about padlocks or walls. only thing extra were meant to be getting charged for is a wooden crate for our tv to protect it.

we have started having our leaving do's, have already had two. got a couple more, but have loads to still sort and do before shippers come in 2 wks.

when do u go. where u hoping to settle

yeah funnily enough no one else seems to have been told there's an extra charge for a padlock and a securing wall.

wooden crate for your tv is normal if you dont have the original box.

Are you finding your leaving do's are very emotional?

Hoping to go mid October avd hopefully headed to Rocking. What about you?