You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest leedslad

Yorkshireman moving to Canberra in Dec! (Hopefully)

Guest leedslad

Hello all,

Well, as you can guess from my username and title, I'm currently living in the UK, in Leeds, and hope to be moving to Canberra in December.

My Australian fiancee works at the AIS, and I'm stuck in the UK for now, just waiting for my visa to be approved. I applied at the beginning of May and the last update I had (2 weeks ago) was not to expect to hear anything before October, but that they had all the info they required and were not needing anything else at this time. I would have expected that they'd have requested more information by now if there was any problems?

Anyway, I did visit Canberra in July (awful cold, wet weather), and I wondered if we were doing the right thing. My fiancee is from Sydney, and we have a great time there, but Canberra appeared both 'boring' and 'dull'. I guess I really didn't see Canberra at it's best really.

I have heard many people say that you have to make the most of what the city has to offer.. so I'll be reviving my interest in mountain biking, which seems the most popular thing to do in Canberra, and a great way of getting around an seeing the city.

It would be great to hear from anyone already there, and maybe even arrange a few meet-ups for when I arrive!

Bye for now

Paul

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum. I can't comment on Canberra as I've never been there, but I know what you mean about arriving in July/ weather etc. We moved to Melbourne a few years ago (similar time of year). I remember coming out of the airport about 6 in the morning, jet lagged, it was dark, cold, wet (could have been Manchester Airport :laugh:) I'd previously been to Australia, but none of the rest of the family had and I thought this isn't exactly creating a good impression ! But we spent 5 years in Melbourne, so it couldn't have been that bad & things always seem better wherever you are when it's warm/sunny.

We've quite a few members in Canberra I think, so hopefully some will get in touch.

Rob

I remember reading somewhere, that when people from Sydney or Melbourne were first posted to Canberra, they spent every weekend they could back 'home'. I suppose it's like emigrating in a way?

Canberra is unusual because although it is the capital and has over 200,000 people it's also strung out with lots of space between 'burbs. It just takes a while to get used to it. It has advantages - few traffic jams for example??????? My brother goes there often for business and he likes it, having endured Sydney's traffic for decades.

I don't mind it either. If you are into skiing, or just like the mountains, you have a much easier trip than Sydneysiders. The coast is reasonably close for the weekend at Batemans Bay. I think you could choose to live in Yass for that country town ambience. I've got a feeling that Queanbeyan, being in NSW rather than the ACT, is a kind of Sydney 'burb????

I'm sure someone who really lives there will 'shoot me down in flames' for my impudence and it is cold in winter and humid in summer.

Over 300,000 people actually (closer to 350,000 these days). Cold in winter, hot in summer but, thank goodness, generally not humid.

If you have to live at the a*se end of the world then Canberra is one of the better places to live although probably not so much if you are a bright young partying thing - a lot of young Canberrans leave if they can to the bigger ponds of Sydney, London or the world.

Its suburbia isnt too bad compared with Sydney/Melbourne and it doesnt have the mildewing sapping heat of Brisbane and doesnt get as hot as Perth or Adelaide. The beach is an easy 90 minute drive and the snow takes just a bit longer. Sydney is only 2.5 hours these days.

Facilities here are excellent even if, as you say, the footie team is crap (embarrassing really this year!). December will be hot, most likely. We might get more bushfires this year as it has been quite lush once the drought broke.

Guest leedslad
I remember reading somewhere, that when people from Sydney or Melbourne were first posted to Canberra, they spent every weekend they could back 'home'.

Interesting that you should put this, as that's EXACTLY what my fiancee does. As soon as she finishes work on a Friday she's in the car and heading back to Sydney, and then back on Monday morning.

I'll probably be doing a similar thing, but only because I'll be working around Sydney Fri to Monday, so my days off will be in Canberra.

Guest leedslad

Thanks for the replies. I want to make the most of being in Canberra, and I'm sure I'll be occasionally heading to both the snow and Bateman's Bay. Not to mention getting on my bike and heading off to Mt Stromlo etc. for a bit of mountain biking.

My trip in July was quite a shock given the bad weather and cold temps. Driving around at night in the rain I could have almost been back in the UK!! At least there's a good Summer though :-)