how long do you give Australia

Guest sh7t man no way

Guest guest22466
I still no tsure, found out about 2 gp who also commited suicide, I know there are more psychologists in oz per person than anywhere else and it seems almost everyone has done some sort of psychology course yet I dont know any specific reason why the suicide rate is high, given the job is the same the world over.

strange one that. I am aware the increasing stress rates here in Perth, and drug abuse is climbing but I dont think this would or should have a bearing on the therapists.

Thank you for your reply...it is an interesting question though one that I have always wondered why? Thank goodness for people like yourself who help :)

Edited by guest22466
spelling

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest51333
I'm guessing they are with the Australian Defence Force, my husband and children got citizenship after 90 days too.

Oh that makes sense thanks x

I still no tsure, found out about 2 gp who also commited suicide, I know there are more psychologists in oz per person than anywhere else and it seems almost everyone has done some sort of psychology course yet I dont know any specific reason why the suicide rate is high, given the job is the same the world over.

strange one that. I am aware the increasing stress rates here in Perth, and drug abuse is climbing but I dont think this would or should have a bearing on the therapists.

this is a very interesting read. Can only talk from my own experience & I am a real people person but I found where we lived in Perth very insular. People staying in their own families/little groups & not so open to newcomers. Wasnt enough communities, looking out for each other & enough crossing over of the same people. People seemed to live very independent lives rather than interdependent. (we didnt tap enough into the Brit expat community either, which may have also attributed)

Houses were so far apart from each other & there were 2-3 suburbs spreadout without a heart/community hall/leisure centre or even pub. I would walk around our suburb with the dog & never see anyone, even for a quick chat or a hi. Towards the end after 6 yrs even with kids & even flat out trying to get into kids playgroups/mothers groups etc, I have never felt so lonely & I am convinced if we had of stayed we would have hit a big depression.

Interestingly our local GP (in Perth) said she had so many people that would turn up for appointments just to talk to someone, |(she seemed harassed by it too) her theory was, "having someone to just talk too" used to be the Pastors role & down to people not going to church anymore so using their doctors instead. (not sure why she told me this by the way, as I was there for maternity appointment!)

Since being back in UK, I see the role of the church. I am not religious but here the local church runs the playgroups & arrange various social events which are open to all in the village(whether you are religious or not) & because the village is so small, you see the same people & therefore have more opportunites to build friendships, especially if you want to get really involved in the community. (e.g just had something through the letterbox from the local parish yesterday, inviting everyone to take a picnic blanket along etc for the sunday of the jubilee, they'll be kids entertainment, pimms etc... ) I lurve all that, gives you a chance to not be an island, so to speak (which is in affect how we felt in Perth)

Edited by Sunshine111

Be interesting to know if they reduced the number of psychologists would the suicide rate fall?

Guest Tinkerbell1000

I watched that poms down under programme the other night and it said the statistics were 1 in 5 brits go home bu it doesnt give a timescale. The biggest reason was people missing family members

Since being back in UK, I see the role of the church. I am not religious but here the local church runs the playgroups & arrange various social events which are open to all in the village(whether you are religious or not) & because the village is so small, you see the same people & therefore have more opportunites to build friendships, especially if you want to get really involved in the community. (e.g just had something through the letterbox from the local parish yesterday, inviting everyone to take a picnic blanket along etc for the sunday of the jubilee, they'll be kids entertainment, pimms etc... ) I lurve all that, gives you a chance to not be an island, so to speak (which is in affect how we felt in Perth)

The Churches in Australia do this too!

this is a very interesting read. Can only talk from my own experience & I am a real people person but I found where we lived in Perth very insular. People staying in their own families/little groups & not so open to newcomers. Wasnt enough communities, looking out for each other & enough crossing over of the same people. People seemed to live very independent lives rather than interdependent. (we didnt tap enough into the Brit expat community either, which may have also attributed)

Sounds like you were very insular also - rather than just walking your dog hoping to meet someone why didnt you get involved in the community by way of volunteering or whatever. Don't mean to sound harsh but sounds like you were staying in your own little family/group also. There are loads of communities looking out for each other in Perth and Australia!

Edited by dxboz

Thank you for your reply...it is an interesting question though one that I have always wondered why? Thank goodness for people like yourself who help :)

A lot of the suicides are in the country and aboriginal youth suicide is pretty high. I don't think any of the major cities have a particularly high suicide rate. Farmers, for instance seem to have a really good few years or really bad. The weather can be so fickle. They had years of drought in some areas followed by drastic flooding. The banks will only keep bailing you out for so long and the stress that must put on families I can't imagine. As well as having to work really hard as a farmer. If you are a run of the mill worker, working in a city, like me, I can't imagine a more laid back relaxing place to live.

.[/i] There are loads of communities looking out for each other in Perth and Australia!

ha! ha! very funny. Did a bit more than walking around with my dog to try & get out & meet people!! (that was more to try & get out & wearout the kids!) I was actually involved in a couple of local community groups trying to increase facilities for early childhood & also trying to create a multi-functional hall that would get inter-generational groups together, like a drop in for a cuppa. Was on the site of an old police station, beautiful building. Didnt get enough support within the community & those that did come together, council didnt want to know & sold it off. Also another project was trying to get an upgrade for the local park, which had not had the equipment changed in 30 yrs, again hit a wall on that one too.

First couple of years I enthusiastically went out joined groups/worked part time etc all the places you would expect to make friends. I think combination of being a young mum with x2 young kids & no family in Perth probably attributed to the isolation & hubby sometimes working away.

In year 6 of living there, yeah I did become insular myself & that is what scared me, because as a family we became scarily very alone. Thank goodness we came home, because I now have the lifestyle I wanted for my family, we are out in the community & starting to build friendships & I no longer feel that horrible loneliness & isolation.

In reference to the part I am quoting. That is my point. how do you get these people to regularly meet? that is why I got with the community group that wanted to great a meeting place to accomplish that. To be honest in the end I had just had enough & decided that it was not for us. Sometimes you just got to know when to quit if something doesnt feel right and after 6 yrs think you just know!

Also another point of yours, yes there are churches in Australia!! but unless you belong to one, it didnt seem to open itself up to the community like what I have been surprised to see back here.

Like I say, that was my experience of where I was in Perth. Surprised me because we were out in the hills not in the middle of the city. I have lived in Oz/Nz & Uk & have noticed that if you live outside of a city/town in semi-rural you tend to find your communities.

On a positive note it was good character building!

Edited by Sunshine111

Guest noele

Hi - my first post! We've been in Oz for 8 years now and we have finally agreed to move back next year once our youngest has finished at uni in Brisbane - just have to sell our house on the sunshine coast - that could take ages in this market we know - so expecting to be back July/August next year.........not going back to where we used to live as I don't think you can go back and expect things to be as you left them, well not after 9 years as it will be - but looking at Exeter area.........still near beaches (that's the thing we would miss) but accessible to 'old London town' for a real City fix and not too far from family and friends and good Indian restaurants and good country pubs and pretty villages and.........I'm a bit excited!