how long do you give Australia

Guest sh7t man no way

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think the 2 year rule thing is a load of rubbish. We have lived in Australia 23 months now and I knew from the 8 week mark that this was not the place for us. I think when the homesickness kicks in you make a decision there and then in your own mind where you really want to be.

I also believe where you live has a lot to do with your decisions too, we lived in Darwin for 20 months, hated the place and recently moved to Brisbane which we love. I sometimes wonder if we moved to Brisbane first would I still have had the massive pangs of homesickness that I had in Darwin.....I say this because Darwin is very tropical, nothing like home and Brisbane especially on the wet drizzly days feels very much like the UK.

I've never been to Darwin but I noticed on another thread today there are some Poms who are raving about how great the place is.

I also noted that you say you knew within 8 weeks that OZ was not the place for you but then you say you 'love' Brisbane?

So, after the 23 months here, is the 'two year rule' working after all?

Here you go, Alan...

Australia's vital statistics

The continent is 3 700 km from North to South and 4 000km from East to West. This varies, as the coastline takes a lot of bends and curves.

Further information:

From the most eastern point of Australia, Cape Byron in New South Wales, to the most western point of Australia, Steep Point in Western Australia, is a distance of 4100 kilometres.

From the most northerly point in Australia, the tip of Cape York in Queensland, to the southernmost point of the Australian mainland, Wilson's Promontory in Victoria, is 3180 km. This does not include the state of Tasmania, a large island off the southern coast of Australia.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_length_and_width_of_Australia#ixzz1X6oG9z5B

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh, before I decided to return home???

Still thinking about it

But not thinking too hard:laugh:

U can't go back to the UK Bobj, you are an Aussie legend - a bit like Steve Irwin, minus the crocodiles.

Us too, it will be all or nothing, it will be a permanent move whatever happens. We are not uprooting the kids twice !:no:

Heavens above, dont put that on yourself. Knowing that it is permanent and you have no capacity to move if you cant stand the place is crippling. If you feel that way, then dont move at all

Heavens above, dont put that on yourself. Knowing that it is permanent and you have no capacity to move if you cant stand the place is crippling. If you feel that way, then dont move at all

can't help agreeing with Quoll.

I made this mistake when we came here. We deliberately sold the house, cos I KNEW I'd struggle and therefore didn't want an easy get out clause. If only.............

It's only since I've stopped putting such finality on our life here that my depression has lifted

'Heavens above, they're on a street called love, on a warm Sydney - SORRY! - San Franciscan Night.' Thanks for that, I will be humming it for the rest of the day.

I've never been to Darwin but I noticed on another thread today there are some Poms who are raving about how great the place is.

I also noted that you say you knew within 8 weeks that OZ was not the place for you but then you say you 'love' Brisbane?

So, after the 23 months here, is the 'two year rule' working after all?

Not at all, we plan on moving back to the UK however my husband is tied into a contract until the end of October 2012, so although we love Brisbane we still feel we don't belong.

Not at all, we plan on moving back to the UK however my husband is tied into a contract until the end of October 2012, so although we love Brisbane we still feel we don't belong.

So your 'sentence' still has over a year to run? Watch out you may become 'institutionalised' and 'freedom' might lose its attractions!

Something no one has mentioned is what is the relevance of two years? Two years of residence in Australia means you can get a resident return visa. Meaning you have the option to return to Oz (within 5 years I think) should you decide after a few years back home that maybe Oz was for you after all. Leave sooner and you'll only have the time left on your original visa if you find home isn't as good as you remembered it.

Guest sh7t man no way
Something no one has mentioned is what is the relevance of two years? Two years of residence in Australia means you can get a resident return visa. Meaning you have the option to return to Oz (within 5 years I think) should you decide after a few years back home that maybe Oz was for you after all. Leave sooner and you'll only have the time left on your original visa if you find home isn't as good as you remembered it.

the 2 year thing ken is thats about the time you should take to make your mind up if oz is right for you or not-in 2 years your children will may or may not have settled,and the same goes for you (jobs/houses/knowing the systems) the 2 year thing is a general rule of thumb people us when first arriving in oz that's says we will give it 2 years then decide if oz is for us

Ah, and bobj is a lot smarter I think - wouldn't have got up so close to that stingray....er, der they have stinger tails........as he found out.

Izzy?? Er... Is he?? The silly old fa...bloke trod on the tail of a 10-12 ft croc...:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bobj,have been on pio for over 1 year and have loved reading your posts just wanting to know if you can tell me anything about Whyalla South Australia .

G'day mate and thanks for the comments icon14.gif

The only thing I KNOW as opposed to reading up...is that the snapper fishing offshore from there is excellent, about the best area in Australia for that.

http://www.snapperfishing.com.au/whyalla-snapper-fishing.html

Cheers, Bobj.

So your 'sentence' still has over a year to run? Watch out you may become 'institutionalised' and 'freedom' might lose its attractions!

...and that year cannot run quick enough for me, as I said before it only took me 8 weeks in Australia to realise where I wanted to be.

Guest guest51333

Julz, would you return to Australia if once you got back to the UK it wasnt as nice as you remembered, just wondered what made you leave the UK in the first place?

Izzy?? Er... Is he?? The silly old fa...bloke trod on the tail of a 10-12 ft croc...:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

LOL, then its lucky you survived more than two years here, you silly old far........:laugh:

Caught any big FUSH lately, haven't seen any pics, LOL

p.s. my big tangle with the local wildlife was when I put my hand into the open baby ray pond at Melbourne Aquarium and one of them came up out of the water and tried to grab my finger, ran like a cry baby across the room.

Sorry to be off thread - don't infract me mods (pleeez)

When we came we thought that if we hated in the first 6 months, we would go back.

Well it's been 1 year now of emotional and physical upheaval. The initial homesickness that I felt for the first 6 months has gone. I don't "love it" and then I don't "hate it" I don't want to move back to the UK so I guess I must be settled ?!

We have moved Interstate which in itself is just like starting again so we will see how we get on here. :daydreaming:

LOL, then its lucky you survived more than two years here, you silly old far........:laugh:

Caught any big FUSH lately, haven't seen any pics, LOL

p.s. my big tangle with the local wildlife was when I put my hand into the open baby ray pond at Melbourne Aquarium and one of them came up out of the water and tried to grab my finger, ran like a cry baby across the room.

Sorry to be off thread - don't infract me mods (pleeez)

you need to beg harder than that.....:policeman:

I knew I never wanted to retire in the UK, never wanted to raise my kids there and wanted a more outdoor lifestyle, it was never about financial issues.. I had never set foot in Australia, but my best friend of 29 yrs lived here.

I knew stepping of the plane, I was finally in the right place and so did my husband.

Both of us never loved the UK, infact we hated it, other than family being there, yet we are born and bred British. The more time went on, the more we wanted out.

I have never once wanted to return to the UK and quite happy to never fly there again other than to see family (would be quite happy and prefer it if they all came here instead )

I have never once felt pangs to go home, except last yr when I had kidney issues.

My kids love it here but took time to settle except DD who gets bored. They all said they dont really care if we had to go back to the UK but are quite happy here too.

So for me and my husband it was instant, the kids it took time and after 2.5 yrs they are settled but still miss the UK and family.

I think it depends on the individual, what they are looking for, their ties in the Uk and if they are able to overcome the emotional ties. (we all have a lot fo family in the UK, expecially my sister who I am incredibly close too)