moving to perth in 2012..is anyone else?

perthpom2011

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, we are Dom, Nat and 4 children, moving to Perth jan 12 around Woodvale or Kinross. Dom is a carpenter and i am a Teaching assistant. Never been to Oz before so its going to be exciting and scary but hopefully a great life for our family, just hope there is work for Dom.

hi nat,

are the flights booked now.....i am soooo jealous

have you booked a rental yet ?

jools x

Hiya, I'll hopefully be heading over to WA this time next year on a working visa, not really decided where yet, looking for an area that's nice... dont we all. As i am the same age as you would be lovely to find out your feelings and dealings about moving :) x

Guest mandi1971
Hi Sarahmess & Mandi1971,

We too have a 16year old daughter, we are flying out to Perth in December 2011 to validate our Visa's then hoping to move out for good after Kirsty has finished her GCSE's in July/August 2012. What are planning on doing about your daughters High School Certificate? From what I've been reading I think Kirsty will have to start Year 11 in Feb 2013 to enable her to acheive the full 2years study she will need to get her High School Certificate. She will be 17 years old by then (Sept Birthday) and I presume one of the oldest in her year! I really worry about damaging her education as she wants to go to Uni!!

Have either of you looked into schooling for a 16year old yet? I'm hoping you may have some information that will make me less worried :arghh:

Thanks

Little Lisa 1971 xx

Hi Little Lisa,

We are still looking for schools. My daughter is a younger one in the year having turned 15yrs in July, so she is now in year 11 in UK.

We are planning to move in August 2012 and start the children at school in the Sept/ Oct term. She will then go to year 11 ( Aussie) in Feb 2013.

Finding a school is the biggest problem at the moment and therefore finding an area to move to. Once I have it more sorted in my head whereabouts to live, I won't feel so apprehensive. The children can take a test at Australian House(?) in London to see if they are eligible for a scholarship to any of the private schools, my husband has been looking into it.

Do you have any suburbs in mind?

Sarahx

Hi Sarah and Lisa

We thought long and hard about the school situation and in the end decided Chloe could come with us in January, start year 11 again.

Its a risk, but she will go onto year 12 and still get to go to college and Uni so i don't see any harm really. :skeptical:

Its not ideal, but only if we decided to go back to the UK which we have no plans to do.

This way, she would be going to school with kids her own age and have more chance of settling down.

As for Alfie,we are still trying to decide on that as its so expensive and its hard to get rentals that accept dogs. Plus im not sure how he would handle the quarantine etc, decisions decisions lol. :eek:

My main worry is getting Chloe to make friends and settle as shes still unhappy about the move so i think my priority has to be getting her into school asap, fingers crossed ive made the right decision :wideeyed:

Mandi xx

Guest Little Lisa 1971
Hi Little Lisa,

We are still looking for schools. My daughter is a younger one in the year having turned 15yrs in July, so she is now in year 11 in UK.

We are planning to move in August 2012 and start the children at school in the Sept/ Oct term. She will then go to year 11 ( Aussie) in Feb 2013.

Finding a school is the biggest problem at the moment and therefore finding an area to move to. Once I have it more sorted in my head whereabouts to live, I won't feel so apprehensive. The children can take a test at Australian House(?) in London to see if they are eligible for a scholarship to any of the private schools, my husband has been looking into it.

Do you have any suburbs in mind?

Sarahx

Hi Sarah,

That's interesting about Australia House and a scholarship........I'll have to look into that. Although Private Schools in Aus are not as expensive as the UK it's still money I really don't want to spend when it will be hard enough finding a house and jobs!

We too are planning on heading out to Perth August 2012 once Kirsty has her GCSE results and starting the children in school for the October term. Kirsty will be one of the oldest as she is 16 this month so I hope that won't be a problem for her. She is 50/50 on coming to Aus with us! She says she knows it will give her better opportunities but she doesn't want to leave her extended family and she has a boyfriend who she's been with for 18 months :arghh: he's a lovely lad but this is really causing me a headache!

With regards to suburbs I have a huge list! At the moment the favorites NOR are Joondalup or Mindaire and SOR it's Secret Harbour although I have at least 15 others to still consider! We fly out to Perth on the 14th December and are doing a week in Mandurah SOR and a week in Scarborough NOR so I'm hoping by the time we come home we will at least have decided which side to go!

If you find anything else out about the scholarship please let me know and I will give you the low down on the suburbs when we come back to the UK in January.

Take care

Little Lisa xxx

Guest Little Lisa 1971

Hi Mandi1971,

We too were considering going in Jan 2012 as we have to validate before February 2012 but our daughter has insisted she finish her GSCE's as she's worked so hard for them so we are validating in Dec 2011 and moving for good Aug 2012. I've told her she's better get all A's as this holiday is costing us £10,000 that we could be using for our new life!! We don't really mind though as she's not too keen on moving to Aus so we want to make the move as smooth as possible for her and she really is a good girl :) Kirsty will be 17yrs old when she starts Year 11 in Feb 2013 so I just hope she will be OK being the oldest, she says she's happy to do that so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It's very difficult to decide what's best to do with our pets for us and them when we are moving so far away!! We are leaving ours in the UK :unsure: Smudge is a Boarder Terrier (fat and spoilt) and hates the heat! He is a fab dog and we have had lots of offers off friends and family to give him a good home which makes me feel so much better as I couldn't leave him with just anyone. I know when we say goodbye to him I will be crying my eyes out and feel very guilty but to take him really isn't an option........too hot for him, the risk of travelling such a long way, very expensive to take him and then the problem of finding a rental that allows dogs when it is so difficult to get a good rental to begin with! Good luck with your decision!

Take care

Little Lisa xxx

Hi, we are Dom, Nat and 4 children, moving to Perth jan 12 around Woodvale or Kinross. Dom is a carpenter and i am a Teaching assistant. Never been to Oz before so its going to be exciting and scary but hopefully a great life for our family, just hope there is work for Dom.

Hi Natty T, we are a family of 4 also arriving in Perth 12th Jan staying in Rockingham for 1st 4 weeks. We are flying Singapore airlines from Glasgow 11th Jan to Heathrow then onto Sinapore and Perth. Who you flying with?

sorry just read that you are moving jan 12 not arriving 12th jan DOH!

Guest Sarahmess

We went to Perth in April (2011) and stayed in Scarborough. We were only there for 4 days so didn't get a really good look around Perth, but it had a good feel about the place. A city with a small town feel.

Guest Colettetoynton

My husband has been offered a job in Perth and we are just in the process of applying for visa's etc? Hoping to be over in Jan 2012. Does anyone have any websites they could recommend to look into the local area of Secret Harbour, ideally looking at somewhere offering out of school clubs such as dance/gymnastics for my girls?

Thanks xx:biggrin:

Guest cazperth
hey :)....we havnt a fixed date yet but it will be january time,what sort of job will u be looking for when ur there?and r u moving with family etc

Yeh for def - keep in touch - we head over on 10th Jan ish!!

cx

Guest scubabud

Hi all

we fly out to perth 12th November getting excited now but scared too, shippers are coming next week to pack stuff as we have rented house out, sooooo stressed at the moment but i know it will be all worth it - bring on the sun xxxx

hey :)....we havnt a fixed date yet but it will be january time,what sort of job will u be looking for when ur there?and r u moving with family etc

I am moving by myself, I live in Puerto Rico right now but I am Peruvian, I am an accountant, and I will be looking for a finance job. What about you??

Guest Guest55385

Hi all,

We're hoping to move in December as 457's just being submitted. I have 3 kids, girl 8, boy 3 and girl 1. I'm 32 (ex-social worker) and my husband is 37 and an engineer.

We have no family in Aus and no real knowledge of Perth. I am researching bits every night and compiling a file full of 'stuff'... I'm sure it'll come in useful lol

I am starting to panic about schools and getting my daughter into school in time for Feb. Reading reviews on myschool website etc. it's very difficult. Have no idea where we'll be living but thought Hyde Park or City beach areas?? No idea really though.

Guest Tottenhamjohn

Hi Ymummy, when r you going to Perth.

I see you live in Dagenham we live in Billericay.

We have meet up's in Lakeside you should come alone.

Sam

Hey :) Good Luck with the big move... We are hoping to move out there in Jan 2012 so yes would def love to meet up... We will be staying probably about 30mins from Rocko - gives a shout!!

cx

Great will definately be in touch when we arrive.

We have now booked flights - 27th Feb - 5 months tomoz :-) Got accommodation for 3 weeks in safety Bay and a possible long let in the pipeline.

Sorted Mobiles sims and found a decent deal for internet too!

House is finally sold - completed Friday and now got the money in the bank!!!:jiggy:

Really feels we are on the way now can't wait ... :laugh:

Good luck to everyone making the move and looking forward to make new friends

Est