and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Andy

taking cash into oz for holiday

Guest Andy

Morning all,

we are off to oz in a few weeks and i was wondering what the situation is with taking cash in and whether you have to declare it and how much you can take in for spending money.

Thanks for any thoughts on this :yes:

Cheers rob, i will not be declaring then :cute:

Don't forget your beer money:biggrin:

Guest Andy
Don't forget your beer money:biggrin:

Beer money is top of the list mate,

anyway just seen you are " having doubts " is that old or are things not going to well? :unsure:

Beer money is top of the list mate,

anyway just seen you are " having doubts " is that old or are things not going to well? :unsure:

Never had many doubts me mate, but I must admit the last few days back home were really hard.

Not nice watching my kids crying saying their goodbyes:sad:

But we've been here almost 2 weeks now and things have settled down, mrs and kids seem real happy, so i'm happy.

Had a good start, great weather and so far nothing but very helpful people, they really are much more laid back here.

Guest sh7t man no way

as rob said andy you can take heaps of money--but we just take a few hundred dollars when flying--most atms do uk cards,and theres a cash machine at the airport--dont know who your flying with but its worth while getting some currency for the midway stop (cups of tea,and a bite to eat) saves you looking for a exchange rate shop,and you may get in when its closed

Guest Andy
Never had many doubts me mate, but I must admit the last few days back home were really hard.

But we've been here almost 2 weeks now and things have settled down, mrs and kids seem real happy, so i'm happy.

Had a good start, great weather and so far nothing but very helpful people, they really are much more laid back here.

Thats great news boxman, i love the bit where your kids and wife are happy so you are :wubclub:, long may it continue mate :hug:

Guest Andy
as rob said andy you can take heaps of money--but we just take a few hundred dollars when flying--most atms do uk cards,and theres a cash machine at the airport--dont know who your flying with but its worth while getting some currency for the midway stop (cups of tea,and a bite to eat) saves you looking for a exchange rate shop,and you may get in when its closed

Thanks al, we are flying with Quantas and are stopping in Bankok but only for an hour.

When we moved here, I had to tick the "money to declare" (because I was carrying a bank draft for a fair bit of money) box but all this resulted in was one question and "some of the proceeds of a house sale because we're moving here" was all they needed to hear.

Frankly, I wouldn't carry too much cash though...any cash card with a Visa or Mastercard logo on it will work in all the machines down here--and save the hassle of finding places to change your money (not as common down here as in the UK). Obviously safer too.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Alrite boxy:wink:

Hows the graft situ mate? glad yer settling in btw:wubclub:,where are yer staying?(pm if private:wideeyed:)

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight:wubclub:

Guest sh7t man no way

Thanks al, we are flying with Quantas and are stopping in Bankok but only for an hour.
thats a quick turnaround mate:shocked:you will be knackered when you get to oz--but excited 2--thats come round quick the aussie trip

Alrite boxy:wink:

Hows the graft situ mate? glad yer settling in btw:wubclub:,where are yer staying?(pm if private:wideeyed:)

I'm good mate, work situ not special to be honest, well not in our line anyway, been slack for a while they tell me.

Having said that i'd say there were plenty of other options though, might just have to diversify for a while:biggrin:

I'm down Morphett vale at the mo, just up the road from christies beach and port nourlunga.

I'm good mate, work situ not special to be honest, well not in our line anyway, been slack for a while they tell me.

Having said that i'd say there were plenty of other options though, might just have to diversify for a while:biggrin:

I'm down Morphett vale at the mo, just up the road from christies beach and port nourlunga.

Yeah i know it mate,wasnt far away in Seaford,i like noarlunga,cpl of decent enuf pubs there and on the train line,think rockolas in moana now,not far boxy

"The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Yeah i know it mate,wasnt far away in Seaford,i like noarlunga,cpl of decent enuf pubs there and on the train line,think rockolas in moana now,not far boxy

Pubs are very pricey here mate,so been down to Dan Murphy's a few times already :biggrin:

tonight's tipple is James Boag's premium lager, brewed in Tasmania, $38 for 24 375ml bottles so not bad, 5% aswell:wacko:

The train is great pabs, $24 for the 4 of us for a day ticket to adelaide.

Must look rock up soon, been a bit hectic so far.

Pubs are very pricey here mate,so been down to Dan Murphy's a few times already :biggrin:

tonight's tipple is James Boag's premium lager, brewed in Tasmania, $38 for 24 375ml bottles so not bad, 5% aswell:wacko:

Pricey mate the pubs eh!:laugh:,i bought a can of guinness in the noarlunga hotel i think....$9:mad:,ended up on TOOHEYS OLD,but im thinking i'l have to change to lager over there,i drink decent lagers like stella and krnberg in the summer here so no big deal,have yer been down to victor harbor yet?jesus we seen some dead roo's by the side of the rd on the way down there!

Guest Andy

I will allow $38 a day for my beer then :cute::biggrin:

Pimms isnt cheap over there one knows:cute:,toodle pip an all that old chap:wubclub:,off to speculate me winnings off the fat kid last goal and bulgaria 0 england 3,only 35 to 1 tho!:mad:

Catch yer later boxy,take it easy mucker:notworthy:

Guest guest37336

A lot of people Andy think that Midnight Express' is based on a fellas attempts to smuggle drugs out of Turkey.

Where as in reality it was based on Fred Tosser's attempt to get into Australia with $10,001,:shocked::policeman:. Don't ever believe the other stories, Fred was only freed after he promised to buy a dozen Lemons at half price.

But it is a lesson for us all, the Australian customs officials do not look kindly at people trying to smuggle money into Australia, and if you don't want to end up like Tosser, abide by the rules mate.:yes:

Midex2.jpg

Pricey mate the pubs eh!:laugh:,i bought a can of guinness in the noarlunga hotel i think....$9:mad:,ended up on TOOHEYS OLD,but im thinking i'l have to change to lager over there,i drink decent lagers like stella and krnberg in the summer here so no big deal,have yer been down to victor harbor yet?jesus we seen some dead roo's by the side of the rd on the way down there!

I got done for $11 on a bottle of heineken last week:shocked: pepin better bring more cash:laugh:

Victor harbour is on our list mate, maybe next week, will watch out for them roo's.

Its a nice lager mate, but it ain't the pub, so save up tight ass:wink:

I got done for $11 on a bottle of heineken last week:shocked: pepin better bring more cash:laugh:

Victor harbour is on our list mate, maybe next week, will watch out for them roo's.

If yer do go to Victor mate URIMBIRRA wildlife parks about 5 minutes outside of Victor on the main Adelaide rd,on the right hand side if i remember correct,the kids will like it.

Jan had been dying to get close to some roos so as we were walking up to the park we seen a load in the distance,she was made up..."ooooh look,theres a load of roos" she said,then as we got closer she realised they werent behind a fence,her bottle went!

".......hell their not in a pen" :shocked:she said in fright!then she grabbed me arm tight:rolleyes:,funny how she wanted to hold on all romantic like when she thought a mob of roos was gonna kick her head in!:laugh:

She was ok in the end tho,ended up feeding them etc,good day out there boxy,worth a visit.:wubclub:

Guest Andy
If yer do go to Victor mate URIMBIRRA wildlife parks about 5 minutes outside of Victor on the main Adelaide rd,on the right hand side if i remember correct,the kids will like it.

Jan had been dying to get close to some roos so as we were walking up to the park we seen a load in the distance,she was made up..."ooooh look,theres a load of roos" she said,then as we got closer she realised they werent behind a fence,her bottle went!

".......hell their not in a pen" :shocked:she said in fright!then she grabbed me arm tight:rolleyes:,funny how she wanted to hold on all romantic like when she thought a mob of roos was gonna kick her head in!:laugh:

She was ok in the end tho,ended up feeding them etc,good day out there boxy,worth a visit.:wubclub:

You wanna stick a cardboard cut out of a kangaroo in the corner of the bedroom mate :Randy-git::laugh:

You wanna stick a cardboard cut out of a kangaroo in the corner of the bedroom mate :Randy-git::laugh:

Yeah OUTSIDE the bedroom door,a fellah needs a bit of peace mate:wink:

You could speak to moneycorp before you leave , set the wheels in motion , then open an Oz bank account as soon as you arrive and transfer a large sum with a reasonable rate and one off fee . Just bring a few bucks to tide you through . Are you coming to brisvegas ?