New Rules for Shipping Pets back to the UK - 2012

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I know someone has posted this recently but I feel it needs to be made a sticky, there are lots of people who need to return to the UK and this is great news for them.

I have attached the information from DEFRA, but briefly:

Dogs/Cats now only have to wait 21 days from after the Rabies Blood Test

No Blood Test for Dogs and Cats

No Tick Treatment is required

pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk110706.pdf

pb13582-bringing-pets-to-uk110706.pdf

As a reply to the above post.

The pet passport rules are being changed on January 1st 2012, which will make it much easier for pets to travel back into UK, however countries around the world are downgrading UK to being “rabies absent or well controlled” rather than “rabies free”. New Zealand have brought in a rule that pets travelling from UK to NZ have to have a rabies vaccination at least 6 months before flight date and a rabies blood sample at least 3 months before flight date. Australia are very likely to follow suit in some way, though it has not been confirmed. If you are aiming for a flight date of after Jan 1st 2012 the recommendation is to get the rabies vaccination done as soon as possible and then one month after this get the rabies blood sample done. There is a chance that this may not be needed, but if it is brought in then your pets will be as prepared as possible.

The days of flying pets to Australia with 2 months notice may well be over. Australia quarantine have confirmed they are looking into it. If you are planning on taking a pet to Australia then get the rabies work done, it may turn out to be wasted, but much better than your pet being in quarantine for up to 4 months rather than 30 days.

Check http://www.aqis.gov.au for more info or the new items at http://www.petairuk.com

So does that mean if (hopefully we dont!!!) things dont work out for us can we bring our dog back into the uk from Oz without a 6 month quarantine?? I'm not sure whether to apply for a pet passport although I know time is running out as we leave Jan 20th. Have just got her rabies shot just incase!!!!

Paulswin.

This is quite tricky and give us a call if we can help, If someone else is shipping your dog, then my charge is a tray of Krispy Kremes and some good news that you and your family (4 legged and 2) are safely and happily in OZ:)

Basically, the pet passport as it is now is redundant, so you dont need to get it. But all the parts of the pet passport (rabies vaccination and rabies blood sample) may be needed to get into OZ.

So you still need to do the pet passport and all its parts, but not for the sake of getting a passport but for the sake of getting your dog into OZ. (if they do change the rules)

If they change the rules for Jan 01st 2012 like the Kiwis did, then it may be worth flying your dog just before Christmas so that you get around the rules, but start early as Christmas is going to be very busy indeed!

Dear PIO members

The Australians have now classed UK as Rabies well controlled rather than rabies free. Which means that pets travelling from UK to Australia after Jan 1st 2012 now have to have pre travel rabies work. Pets have to have a rabies vaccination within 12 months of the flight date and a rabies vaccination at least 60 days before the flight, but ideally 6-12 months. They then need a rabies blood sample ideally at least 5 months before their flight date. It can be less than 5 months before their flight date, but they will have to spend longer in Australian quarantine if that is the case. The pets are allowed out of quarantine 180 days after the date of the rabies blood sample or 30 days after they land whichever is the greater.

Basically - if you are thinking of going to Australia with your pet, start planning early. If you are planning to go in Jan or Feb next year - either try to send your pet before Jan 01st 2012 or be prepared for pets flight to be delayed or the quarantine stay be extended.

Check out the following link:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/countries/cat4

http://www.petairuk.com

Thanks very much Bob. This is very relevant to our situation as we are flying out on the 24th October and have not applied for a permit for our dog yet as we were going to put off bringing her over until properly set up in Australia. This may very well change things.

• 3 months later...
Guest intheworld44

Can anyone help with this comment - Dog back to UK, im happy with routes, vet requirements, UK end etc but just trying to make sure an export form not required to send from Oz. It looks to me as if they are not required but not 100% sure

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this - I had not realised they had changed the classifications of 'rabies free'.....

Thanks for your link - the rules have changed since I brought the animals over to the UK....but now I know I can calculate time-frames & costs.....Holy Moly!!!!

• 1 year later...
I know someone has posted this recently but I feel it needs to be made a sticky, there are lots of people who need to return to the UK and this is great news for them.

I have attached the information from DEFRA, but briefly:

Dogs/Cats now only have to wait 21 days from after the Rabies Blood Test

No Blood Test for Dogs and Cats

No Tick Treatment is required

Just need to ask would our Shar Pei have to travel with us or could she arrive later

We would probably rent for a while and could find having a dog a problem and we have family here in Oz who would keep her and then see her on a flight etc

Has anyone experienced flying a Shar Pei as she is quite timid

• 1 year later...
Guest colmarwatson

I contacted a pet relocation service about six months ago and asked lots of questions;as my much loved dog is eleven.